How motivated are you by money?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Just one month without. That is my wish for the rich....

Now that... would be interesting. :smile:

Studies have shown that banks believe it is prudent to have a 3 month "cushion" in the event of catastophe (job loss, etc).

In reality the same study reveled that the majority have about a 3 week cushion.

... three weeks to go from a nice (albeit heavily mortgaged) home, vehicle, decent food to ...... nothing.

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
I like to eat, and stay warm.........Money helps , but to me being rich just ends up with people being greedy...........and selfish............

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Please define your meaning of 'rich'.

The folks with the "let them eat cake" attitudes....
The folks who figure "broke" means you just haven't made it to the Instant Teller....
The folks who don't give a damn whether people are out of work and hurting ... as long as the banks have money....
The folks who don't have a clue what it's like to have to go without a meal because a bill had to be paid.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I would prefer to barter, but not so many people are interesting in trading food, clothes, shelters (the basic necessities of life) for the solutions to differential equations. Therefore, I try to fill my pockets with money so that I can keep myself alive.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Just one month without. That is my wish for the rich....
I would like to see the "well to do" or well off people spend a week on the streets. I've never had to do that myself but many "well off" people look down their nose at street people and I don't like that. The best way to help people is to try out their life for awhile. Many people on the street I live on won't put out so much as one package of KD to share with the hungry at Christmas. Apparently a lot more food was collected this year than last so maybe some of the newer residents are more generous. One can only hope.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
I would prefer to barter, but not so many people are interesting in trading food, clothes, shelters (the basic necessities of life) for the solutions to differential equations. Therefore, I try to fill my pockets with money so that I can keep myself alive.

I've had jobs where I was paid alot of money and I've had jobs that I was paid reasonably well. Looking back, I'd say I was happier in the jobs that paid less

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
"Happiness is a state of mind, not a state of wealth" - SPATHA

Mind you, a certain minimum comfort level is essential.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The folks with the "let them eat cake" attitudes....
The folks who figure "broke" means you just haven't made it to the Instant Teller....
The folks who don't give a damn whether people are out of work and hurting ... as long as the banks have money....
The folks who don't have a clue what it's like to have to go without a meal because a bill had to be paid.

Thanks.

I realize that I don't know any rich people, and I've met some of Canada's wealthiest. They don't fit your description, so I feel better.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Thanks.

I realize that I don't know any rich people, and I've met some of Canada's wealthiest. They don't fit your description, so I feel better.

I am richer by far than some of the wealthiest. I have peace of mind. Do they? 'sided ... "rich" fit the cadence of the verse. "Well-off and greedy-natured" would sound awful clunky...

Last edited:

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
I am richer by far than some of the wealthiest. I have peace of mind. Do they? 'sided ... "rich" fit the cadence of the verse. "Well-off and greedy-natured" would sound awful clunky...

as related to a "value" system. I still recall a realestate agent and his PR consultant wife declaring bankrupty in NYC after they were virtually starving in a 2.6 million dollar home.

The quote was, "We just can't make it on $300,000/yr. That was 10 yrs ago.

Now that's a seriously compromised value system

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
as related to a "value" system. I still recall a realestate agent and his PR consultant wife declaring bankrupty in NYC after they were virtually starving in a 2.6 million dollar home.

Appearances.... That's what would sink 'em in a month of doing without.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yeah, and their reasoning system is a little f****d up too.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
If people could figure out that they could be happy without an excess of this, that, or the other, we'd all be a lot happier. But unfortunately, enough is never enough.
Societies aren't about people. The common denominator is money and it shouldn't be. So far, having money as a basis for societies has caused most people grief, the planet is a mess, and sadly, it will probably continue.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Peter (the puck) Pocklington just got arrested in Florida by the FBI.
The charge was fraud.
For those of you who are not as old as the hills Peter Puck owned the Oilers back in their glory days.

Peter filed bankruptcy in Florida and claimed he had losses of 20 odd million and total assets of around $20,000.
My ass $20,000.
Fart,Barf and Itch aren't buying it either, hence the arrest.
This from a guy that weaseled his way into owning about half of Edmonton and then taking the money and running.

Reminds me of that Floyd song money.

Trex