Finally, this bas...d is going to trial

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A drunk driving a garbage truck

Manslaughter trial set to begin for trucker accused of killing five people in crashat 6:17 on March 9, 2009, EDT.

THE CANADIAN PRESS
CALGARY - A trial is set to start Monday for a truck driver charged in a crash that killed five people as they were sitting in a car at a red light in Calgary.

Daniel Tschetter, 50, is charged with five counts of manslaughter in the December 2007 collision that killed two adults and three children. He also is charged with criminal negligence causing death, attempting to obstruct justice and failing to provide a roadside breath sample.

Tschetter has been free on bail while waiting for his trial to begin.

Killed in the crash were Chris Gautreau, 41, and his daughters, Alexia Devina, 9, and Kiarra Christa, 6, along with Gautreau's girlfriend, Melaina Hovdebo, 33, and her 16-month-old son Zachary Morrison.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
They should call it what it was: Drunk driving causing death, five counts.

The stupid jerk dragged the car for several blocks; probably hoping to get away. He then refused to take the breath test. What I don't understand is that he has been out on bail for over two years

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Well, even if he is found guilty, (and I hope he is), with our justice system he'll just get a slap on the wrist...

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It is beyond human belief that he has been free on bail all this time.

I won't be surprised if he is found to have some 'illness' that gets him off,
as I'm sure they have trumped up some story that caused this 'poor man'
to drive the truck in such a way, what might it be, tough childhood, bad
mechanical condition of the truck, the steering wheel got a mind of it's own,
or maybe his wife was just mean to him that morning, well, my my, that could
just drive a truck driver to do those things, now couldn't it, and it wouldn't be his
fault now would it, poor baby.

Hang the bas***d.

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
Maybe he can say he should not be held responsible because he was drunk at the time. He was drunk and that impaired his judgement, so he did not call it sick for work. That sounds reasonable. He'll walk for sure.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

This puts this crime on par with "Christopher Pauchay" who let his
two children freeze to death in a snow bank. Canada has a bulk
discount on multiple deaths, so I'm predicting a three year sentence
in this case too, but this drunk driver will be out in 12-18 months... :angryfire:

I'm assuming it's one count of manslaughter for these 5 deaths, isn't it? 8O

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It all depends on which bench he stands before. Was it a summary conviction and provincial court or was he indicted to stand at the Queens' bench?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Maybe they should have moved him to another venue for an expedient trial instead of waiting until the bitterness died down. Apparently, among some, he'd be hung, drawn and quartered without a trial anyhow. There is never an excuse for driving while impaired, and death to innocent parties is a common result of the thoughtless act - whether they're driving a piddly little car or a railroad train

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Maybe they should have moved him to another venue for an expedient trial instead of waiting until the bitterness died down. Apparently he's to be hung, drawn and quartered without a trial anyhow. There is never an excuse for driving while impaired, and death to innocent parties is a common result of the thoughtless act - whether they're driving a piddly little car or a railroad train

The trunk was one of the biggest, dual front axel, cement mixer trucks. I believe the car was a Chrysler Intrepid. The following is a report at the time of the accident:

Calgary police charge cement truck driver after deadly crash

Saturday, December 8, 2007 | 02:19 PM ET

Calgary police have laid charges against the driver of a cement truck after a crash that killed two adults and three children on Friday night.
Daniel Tschetter, 50, of Cochrane, Alta., faces five counts of dangerous driving causing death and one count of failing to provide a breath sample, Insp. Luch Berti said.
Tschetter was formally charged Saturday morning. He is to appear in provincial court in Calgary on Thursday.
Police said the cement truck collided with a 1999 Chrysler Intrepid that was stopped at Macleod Trail and 194th Avenue Southwest around 7 p.m. Friday. The car ended up lodged underneath the cement truck and was pushed for about a third of a kilometre.
"Although the investigation is in its preliminary stages, what we know from witnesses is the vehicle in which the five occupants were killed was stationary at a red light and was travelling northbound into the city of Calgary," Insp. Guy Slater told CBC News.
"The vehicle was then basically pushed for about 300 metres and the cement truck appears to have driven over the top of it, leaving an incredible debris field over that distance," he said.
Excessive speed and alcohol are believed to have played a role in the crash, police allege.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Okay ... so was it a cement mixer or a garbage truck? What else did they get wrong? I'm not arguing the fact he damned well deserves to be charged to the nutz. My problem is: Is it because he was a drunk driver ... or a TRUCK driver?

Smart car and drunk behind the wheel VS five kids on a sidewalk. Are those kids going to fare any better?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He is to appear in provincial court
If provincial court he won't get more than 2 years less a day of jail time. Without a BAC sample they can't charge him with anything beyond dangerous driving.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Okay ... so was it a cement mixer or a garbage truck? What else did they get wrong? I'm not arguing the fact he damned well deserves to be charged to the nutz. My problem is: Is it because he was a drunk driver ... or a TRUCK driver?

Smart car and drunk behind the wheel VS five kids on a sidewalk. Are those kids going to fare any better?
Wolf, it was my mistake regarding the garbage truck. It was a huge cement mixer truck with the articulated dual front axels.

Btw, I grew up when truck drivers were the Knights of the highway, they were dependable professionals and probably the best drivers on the road. Sadly, that is changing. The almighty dollar and the "make a buck at all costs, time is money" attitude is getting the wrong people into the field.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Btw, I grew up when truck drivers were the Knights of the highway, they were dependable professionals and probably the best drivers on the road. Sadly, that is changing.
You can thank deregulation for that.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Wolf, it was my mistake regarding the garbage truck. It was a huge cement mixer truck with the articulated dual front axels.

Btw, I grew up when truck drivers were the Knights of the highway, they were dependable professionals and probably the best drivers on the road. Sadly, that is changing. The almighty dollar and the "make a buck at all costs, time is money" attitude is getting the wrong people into the field.

So is the picture posted above of a different truck in a different accident?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

I like to say I threw in the towel in response to the crazy hours that forced me to keep two sets of books (one for the MTO, one for the pay) the stress of "just-in-time" deliveries and the fear of clobbering one of those morons I had to share the road with.

The reality was more like coming to on the floor of a truckstop eatery to the flash of a paramedic's penlight and the result of painkillers in a blood test. Bye-bye long hauls....

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
If provincial court he won't get more than 2 years less a day of jail time. Without a BAC sample they can't charge him with anything beyond dangerous driving.

I think he could still be charged with criminal negligence causing death.