Another By-Product of the Recession: Ex-Convicts

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Crime pays?

In 2000, when Glenn Martin was leaving prison in upstate Attica, N.Y., after serving six years for robbery, the correctional officer thanked him in a way he'd never forget: "He said my being there helped pay for his boat, and that when my son came there, he would help pay for his son's boat."

As cruel and obnoxious as the comment was, it was a reasonable expectation. Of the 6,000 residents of Attica, nearly two-thirds are prisoners, most from troubled neighborhoods in Martin's hometown of New York City, about an eight-hour drive south. Like so many other states over the past three decades, as the nation's prison population has exploded from 307,000 to 1.6 million, New York has come to see incarceration as a major source of employment. The corrections department is the state's largest agency, employing more than 31,000 people at 70 institutions; at $40,000 per inmate, the state spends $2.5 billion a year. (See pictures of crime in Middle America.)

It was, many observers agree, never the best use of taxpayer money. And now, with so many states facing major budget crises, it looks like it won't continue at the same pace much longer. California's prisons are so overcrowded and underfunded that a federal judge recently ruled that the state must release roughly a third of its 158,000 prisoners by 2012. The New York State legislature is close to scrapping the draconian Rockefeller drug laws that, by imposing mandatory sentences rather than rehab treatment, have kept many otherwise law-abiding drug users in prison for years. Other states, such as Michigan, New Jersey and North Carolina, are either releasing some prisoners who have served their minimum time or putting drug offenders in treatment programs instead of prison.

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
The major violent offenders will eventually wear out the system. A penal colony will be developed somewhere. Like the movie 'Escape from New York' where the island is converted to a prision colony and the violent offenders have to fend for themselves there. The other prisions will be saved for corporate crimes and the white collars, untill they get to be too many.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
California's prisons are so overcrowded and underfunded that a federal judge recently ruled that the state must release roughly a third of its 158,000 prisoners by 2012. The New York State legislature is close to scrapping the draconian Rockefeller drug laws that, by imposing mandatory sentences rather than rehab treatment, have kept many otherwise law-abiding drug users in prison for years. Other states, such as Michigan, New Jersey and North Carolina, are either releasing some prisoners who have served their minimum time or putting drug offenders in treatment programs instead of prison.

I can't help but ponder what sort of legal ramifications will arise from releasing people because it is no longer profitable or worth the cost. What does that say about the reasoning behind their incarceration? It says that their crime was not really serious enough to require jail time, but that the government felt it may as well since it could afford to keep them. That smacks of huge human rights violations to me.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I can't help but ponder what sort of legal ramifications will arise from releasing people because it is no longer profitable or worth the cost. What does that say about the reasoning behind their incarceration? It says that their crime was not really serious enough to require jail time, but that the government felt it may as well since it could afford to keep them. That smacks of huge human rights violations to me.

I for one, Karrie, believe there are people in prison who shouldn't be there, as there are other more effective punishments for some than locking them up. I think prisons should be reserved for people who do unrecoverable harm to others and are a general threat to safety and for the most incorrigible criminals and for serious white collar crime (like where unsuspecting people's life savings have been wiped out). If the problems stem from mental illness, drug addictions etc. keep them closely supervised in the community doing community service like landscaping in the parks, picking up garbage off the streets or working at a job or going to school. I think a lot of people in prison are there indirectly because of low self esteem. Lets concentrate on putting the weapon wielding gangsters behind bars and keeping them there for a loooooooooooooooooong time.