China achieved a lot in 30 years - Canadian expert

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
China achieved a lot in 30 years - Canadian expert

Updated: 2008-10-30 13:00
OTTAWA -- China has made tremendous achievements in all social aspects and improved its status on the international arena as a result of its reform and opening-up policy adopted 30 years ago, Peter Harder, a Canadian expert on international affairs, said in a recent interview.

Harder has visited China at least 14 times since 1980 and thus enjoys first-hand knowledge of what the country has undergone in the past three decades.

"China was colorless, (and) it was grey, everybody wore grey," he said while recalling his first Chinese tour.

However, things have changed tremendously since then, said Harder, who served as deputy chief for 16 years in several Canadian federal government departments including the Treasury Board, Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration, Foreign Ministry and Ministry of International Trade.

In just 30 years' time, China has emerged as a colorful, prosperous and self-confident society with a significant influence on world political and economic affairs, he said.

While economic growth has substantially facilitated the improvement of the material life of ordinary people, the whole of Chinese society has seen progress in all aspects, from people's awareness of their social responsibilities, their openness to the outside world, the mode and level of governance, to the awareness of sustainable development, Harder pointed out.

"You cannot come on visits to China over a period of time as frequently as I have without noticing the tremendous increase of human freedom, of rule of law, of focusing on accountability, particularly at the municipal and local levels where the issues of being responsive to native citizens are very much discussed," he said.

China's progress is a good thing for the whole world, he said. "I view the opening-up to the outside world as having been hugely beneficial to both China and the world."

"By that I mean China has been able to provide economic opportunities to its public, which has vastly improved the quality of life of its population and has done so over a period of years, which indicates sustainable economic strategy."

On the other hand, "the world has benefited from China's participation in the global market place and global political space," he noted.

Harder credited China with being a responsible member of the United Nations Security Council and a partner in global solutions for several international and regional issues.

Though China faces the challenge of economic disparity between its coastal and interior areas as well as between rural and urban regions, its leadership is fully aware of the situation and is putting in place a development strategy to address that challenge.

As for environmental challenges, the Chinese government has advocated the notion of harmonious growth in its latest five-year plan to better balance the relationship between economic growth and environmental protection, Harder said.

He expressed confidence that China would have an even brighter future as the Chinese leadership is responsible and has displayed the ability to maintain national economic growth and to participate in global affairs effectively and responsibly.

Harder currently holds the post of president of the Canada-China Business Council (CCBC), Canada's leading organization to facilitate bilateral trade and investment.

He will lead a large delegation consisting of Canadian entrepreneurs and five provincial government heads scheduled to visit China from November 2-7. The tour will be part of celebrations marking the 30th anniversary of the establishment of the CCBC and of China's opening-up policy.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
and why ? I,m here in China for over 6ys and the changes I have seen are mind boggling .
On the other hand I,ve lived in Canada for 40 ys and I'll tell you that Canada is not as good as 40 ys ago - or 1968 whichever you want , do you care ? your a yank.

Last edited:

mit

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2008
SouthWestern Ontario
China has the flexibility of a private corporation - Canada is more subject to the whims of it's shareholders (voters/public opinion) On an economic platform China wins - on being the greatest country in the world Canada still rocks.

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
and why ? I,m here in China for over 6ys and the changes I have seen are mind boggling .
On the other hand I,ve lived in Canada for 40 ys and I'll tell you that Canada is not as good as 40 ys ago - or 1968 whichever you want , do you care ? your a yank.

If you've been in China for over 6 years then tell me in your own words what it's like or at least provide a link to someone else's words that are not that of a trade association/lobbyist group whose very existence depends on a good image of China. It's a tough call as to what you posted is either spam or propaganda.

Why do I care since I'm a yank? Despite what you tell yourself about Americans to make yourself feel less like a failure, Americans have more highly educated citizens than any other country on earth. Our results stand on their own. You, on the other hand, are a member of a nation of snarky, sniping ****ball throwers, whose accomplishments can fit in an Internet forum thread.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Why do I care since I'm a yank? Despite what you tell yourself about Americans to make yourself feel less like a failure, Americans have more highly educated citizens than any other country on earth. Our results stand on their own. You, on the other hand, are a member of a nation of snarky, sniping ****ball throwers, whose accomplishments can fit in an Internet forum thread.

Why is Canada a failure? We seem to be weathering the current recession at least as well as the U.S.. Ask your bankers who are being bailed out with billions of taxpayer's dollars, while Canadian banks are showing a profit. Which would you rather have looking after your savings?

Last edited:

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Why is Canada a failure? We seem to be weathering the current recession at least as well as the U.S.. Ask your bankers who are being bailed out with billions of taxpayer's dollars, while Canadian banks are showing a profit. Which would you rather have looking after your savings?

Apologies. Bad choice of words on my part. Perhaps 'build yourself up' instead and directed at the anti-American posters here....

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
RanchHand ,
If you've been in China for over 6 years then tell me in your own words what it's like or at least provide a link to someone else's words that are not that of a trade association/lobbyist group whose very existence depends on a good image of China. It's a tough call as to what you posted is either spam or propaganda.
[SIZE=+1]Clinton avoids Tibet and human rights on first China visit[/SIZE]
China National News
Monday 23rd February, 2009
(IANS)

Wanting China to continue to fund US debt, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton avoided any public assertion over of Tibet and human rights during her first two-day visit to China which ended Sunday.

At a time when the US economy is at breaking point, stepping on the toes of the largest holder of US government debt is so obviously counter-productive that Clinton had no choice but to sidestep the two issues. Although it can be fairly argued that being the single biggest buyer of Chinese goods gives the US leverage on political and diplomatic issues, what likely prevented Clinton from using that leverage is that Washington wants Beijing to continue to buy US treasury instruments.

The US government owes China $696.6 billion as of last year, the single largest debt. With the Obama administration just having announced a $787 billion stimulus package to arrest a rapid slide of the economy, Clinton was in no position to raise issues that China disapproves of.
Clinton was in no position to raise issues that China disapproves of.....neither are you, Sir.

Americans have more highly educated citizens than any other country on earth( trust me ,you are mistaken ......but that is beside the point ).

The "educated" thing is...... " not to "bite" the hand that feeds you".

Last edited:

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
You know I was reading today that China and India each have more people with high IQs and University Educations than the US has in it's entire population. I fear most Americans have this 1950 view of the USA, that is to say they still think their number one, in what, I'm not sure.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
I think he means that if Clinton were to complain, the Chinese may not find it to their advantage to buy anymore worthless paper(securities) from them. The Americans have two choices these days borrow from the Chinese or print money. best to keep their mouth shut.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
4 minutes ago

I think he means that if Clinton were to complain, the Chinese may not find it to their advantage to buy anymore worthless paper(securities) from them. The Americans have two choices these days borrow from the Chinese or print money. best to keep their mouth shut.
Thank You Lester , that is exactly what I mean .
PS. Love your beard .

Last edited:

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
4 minutes ago

Thank You Lester , that is exactly what I mean .

I understand the American predicament, I'm quite surprised there are so many people in denial of the gruesome details of this financial meltdown. This infrastructure revitalization plan Obama has embarked upon may be a short term thing. Unless he can get some manufacturing back into the US before all the bridges and roads are built and the pogey runs out their economy will tank again.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
so about 146.00/month for a Chinese worker, I don't have to do the math there is a huge disparity an American would have to make 10x that amount just to survive. the dollars gotta go way down and the yuan way up just to get close to parity- The US is hooped.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Hu Lester ,
What Chinese eat is very inexpensive (vegetables ,pork ,fish and of course rice.)
Almost all man smoke and you can buy smokes from 4CNY a pack to over a 100Cny a pack.
-Booze -beer ( a big bottle ,mote than liter 2-6CNY )
-white wine ,you can buy a 57% alchohol ,1.7 liters for 18CNY (cheaper than a windshield washer , that's what I use in my car-from 1.7 l of white wine I get aprox 5.5 l of windshield washer ). No sales tax ...