Mandatory Drivers' Tests for the Elderly?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
On the CBC webpage is an article (Report proposes ways to help keep drivers sharper as they age) on the elderly and driving. The article points out that drivers over the age of 75 are 3.5 times as likely to be involved in a vehicle accident as drivers in their 30s or 40s. Certainly, for the elderly, night vision, reaction time, flexibility to shoulder check, and daytime visual acuity decline. Also, a lifetime of driving habits - good or bad - is difficult to change.

Should those over 75, be subject to medical and road testing annually?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This already happens commercially (Class A-D I believe) in Ontario
for those 65yrs old and older. I could be wrong (& I don't think that
I am), but Lone Wolf can confirm this.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I know there is mandatory retirement for truckers at 65 but that is being challenged. At 80, you have to be re-tested every two years (and that has Dad pee'd right off) It may be interesting to see what happens to retirement age commercial drivers in Ontario now they've dumped mandatory retirement age.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
ABSOLUTELY!!! They should actually limit driving to daylight hours for anybody over 70

My Father is 79 and his driving scares the beejesus out of me

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Again from the CBC
Quote:
"
In Ontario, written driving tests and vision test are mandatory for drivers aged 80 and older. It's the only province in Canada that requires extra driving tests for elderly drivers.
Quebec, Alberta, Newfoundland, the Yukon and Northwest Territories require drivers to take medical examinations at 75 and 80 and every two years thereafter.
In British Columbia, the medical exams begin at 80.
"

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
My oldest Leased Operator in Ontario is 71. I think the
rules might have changed a bit since you last had your
fingers in the pie.

He was retested annually from 65 on to keep his AZ,
and he drives a one-ton truck (hauling RV's for us).
He would have to rent a class 8 tractor and a 45' trailer
each year for his driving test. He's been driving commercially
for 49 years (I'm not kidding you). When I first looked at
his application and his approximate# of driving miles, I just
about shat my pants. Anyway, this year he dropped from an
AZ to a G as he didn't need the AZ to do what he does for us,
and he got into a screaming match with the driver examiner the
year before (who he tells me is younger than any of his grand
kids). He passed, but he wasn't happy about it....

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Good day every one, it is about time.
The scariest possible scenario in driving is when an 80 year old man or woman is behind the wheel of a car traveling at a speed of 80 klm on the highway on a raining night while the driver is on heart medication. This is very scary.
Mandatory medical testing for heart, eyes, ears, and reflexes is paramount to insure safe driving.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Good Gawd...my dad is 78 and they should have been testing him 20 years ago.

I think all drivers should have a recert.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
When I'm a senior, I'd be more than willing to be retested.
My goodness you sound sober today. No fun at all.
I agree with what you say and I do believe we have discussed this before. I have no idea if I was watching a senior or a junior or an inbetweener ? today but the funniest thing happened. I was on my break and suddenly someone says "look at that car, it's on the wrong side of the road". Naturally on this fine snowy day we all had our eyes glued to the window. Someone had made a left hand turn onto the highway but did not go far enough and was driving down the old Island Hwy. like they were in Planes, Trains and Automobiles! They did suddenly realize the error and then to our shock, started to back up rather quickly (on this snowy day). The next thing we knew, the car was part way up on the concrete island (the divider they should have been on the other side of in the first place). They did at that point have the presense of mind to do an illegal U turn and get going the right way. Maybe I should say they did the turn and then went back to the lights and obviously did another illegal U turn and went flying past in the correct lane as we all watched in awe. Might have been a senior but the way that car backed up - who knows???