Another Female Pedophile Caught. In the Act Even.

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
Durham teacher faces sex assault charge over teen

Updated: Tue Feb. 24 2009 5:30:19 PM

ctvtoronto.ca
Durham police have charged a 34-year-old female teacher after allegedly catching her performing a sexual act with a male teenager she coached.

The incident occurred Friday, Durham Regional Police said Monday in a news release.

"At approximately 8:45 p.m., officers were searching for a missing vehicle in a rural area in Clarington when they observed a parked vehicle," the release said.

"Inside they located a 34-year-old female engaging in an unlawful sexual act with a 14-year-old male."

The woman teaches elementary school in Whitby but lives in Bowmanville. CTV Toronto has learned the woman was the boy's teacher years ago -- and that the pair were involved in a secret sexual relationship at that time.

"The female is currently serving as the victim's athletics coach, a position of trust and authority," police said.

That is a non-school sports activity.

Because of her ties to the victim, her name isn't being released so as to protect the teen's identity.

Police have charged the woman with sexual assault and sexual interference.
Investigators are continuing to work this case, including the possibility there are other victims.

They asked anyone with more information to contact Det. Const. Jenn Bickle-Hearn of the Sexual Assault-Child Abuse Unit at 1-888-579-1520 ext. 5327. Anonymous tips can be made to Durham Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
We are seeing more and more of reports of this kind. And it proves that police are doing their job properly. Unfortunately, the courts have been lenient with female assailants and refuse to apply the law on a uniform basis as they do with male culprits. Because of judicial irresponsibility, many children suffer irreperable harm and society suffers even more.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
"Other samples of ‘normal’ individuals have been asked hypothetical questions about whether or not they would be willing to commit illegal sexual acts especially if they believed that they would not be arrested or punished. A familiar study of this sort asked students whether they would rape if there were no sanctions on them. Over a third said that they would (Malamuth,1981a). Briereand Runtz (1989) reported that 21% of US college male students admitted to having some sexual attraction to children. Seven percent of them said that there was some likelihood that they would have sex with a child if they could get away without adverse outcomes for themselves. This is a surprising outcome because we might expect that such feelings would be under reported such that the base rates are actually higher (Fisher,1994). While indicating on a questionnaire that one might in certain circumstances commit a sexual offence is quite different from actually offending, nevertheless one in five of college students had indicated some sort of sexual interest in children."

Sex Offenders and the Internet, P 43

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
A friend said today the pedophilia has increased in recent decades but I think that it is just being exposed more often. Adults having sex with children and in particular, their own children was probably rampant in the past. In some cultures it was the norm.

Although pedophilia is reprehensible, our own obsession, in North America, with sex and sexual deviancy can be viewed as just as sick. In most parts of the world people don't, as Bill Mahr put it, giggle hysterically at the sight of pee pee parts. It is almost as if we never quite reach puberty emotionally and thus, in that light, pedophilia is not that hard to understand - children having sex with children.

Age is irrelevant since emotionally we are almost all the same. In fact a shrink once told me that the average emotional level of most adults is 8 years old.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
"Other samples of ‘normal’ individuals have been asked hypothetical questions about whether or not they would be willing to commit illegal sexual acts especially if they believed that they would not be arrested or punished. A familiar study of this sort asked students whether they would rape if there were no sanctions on them. Over a third said that they would (Malamuth,1981a). Briereand Runtz (1989) reported that 21% of US college male students admitted to having some sexual attraction to children. Seven percent of them said that there was some likelihood that they would have sex with a child if they could get away without adverse outcomes for themselves. This is a surprising outcome because we might expect that such feelings would be under reported such that the base rates are actually higher (Fisher,1994). While indicating on a questionnaire that one might in certain circumstances commit a sexual offence is quite different from actually offending, nevertheless one in five of college students had indicated some sort of sexual interest in children."

That's a freaking scary statistic!8O

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The term pedophile is over used. Having sex with a 14 year old does not make one a pedophile. The article does not say how old the boy was when the relationship started.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

WOW!

That IS shocking.....but I have to ask: define child, please.

Not that one should be permitted to have sex with young teenagers, but at the same time sexual attractiveness arrives with the development of secondary sexual characteristics........perfectly natural to look........

So I draw a line somewhere between rape of an eight year old and "consensual" sex between a woman and a 14 year old boy..........and in this case I have to say, yes there is a difference between seducing a young tennage boy (who probably thinks "YES"!) and the seduction of a young girl. Sorry, maybe I'm a dinosaur.....but I think it is much different.

My best friend was introduced to the joys of sex when he just turned 14 by a woman of 30 something.....and believe me, he kept going back.....he was over six feet tall, and capable of growing a full beard at the time........he still speaks fondly of her :) 40 years later.

I doubt that would be a girl's experience......

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
socially speaking, a girl's love affair with a teacher or a boy's love affair, they ought to be treated similarly. How they are treated will change with societal norms. Right now, we have some pretty arbitrary lines drawn in the sands of time.

People, especially teachers, are expected to know where those lines are and respect them. It's just unfortunate that while society may be enlightened, individuals tend to be primal. So long as a teacher can get a whiff of the excitement of 'coming of age' from a youth they are close to, this sort of thing will keep happening.

And yes Colpy... that is a skewed view. It implies that a 14 year old girl is less sexually mature, has less sexual appetite, and is somehow more innocent than a 14 year old boy. Which is completely backwards. A 14 year old girl, biologically speaking, has usually been at 'breeding age' longer than a 14 year old boy. Emotionally, they are typically more responsible and mature. I have seen (although I am not saying it's right) marriages come from male teacher/female student affairs. That speaks a lot to how much more involved in the relationship the female student is. But how many female teacher/male student relationships end in marriage?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The term pedophile is over used. Having sex with a 14 year old does not make one a pedophile. The article does not say how old the boy was when the relationship started.

You have that right- she may have been horny but definitely not a pedophile.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You have that right- she may have been horny but definitely not a pedophile.

what makes you so certain it didn't start in elementary school? Personally, I can't say either way. I saw no more reason to absolve her of the label, than to apply it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
what makes you so certain it didn't start in elementary school? Personally, I can't say either way. I saw no more reason to absolve her of the label, than to apply it.

I guess naive old me just likes to think of the best in people before the worst is proven.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
South Park did an Episode on just this sort of case, the differences between reporting a middle aged male teacher having sex with a female student (Police scurry around and lock and load to take the punk down), to when its a female teacher and male student (The cops all laugh and offer to go help him "claim his luckiest guy in the world award")

And technically having sex with a mentally immature by physically mature/maturing person isn't pedophilia its Ephebophilia/Hebephilia

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Age is irrelevant since emotionally we are almost all the same. In fact a shrink once told me that the average emotional level of most adults is 8 years old.

Most is not all. Either way, age is relevant when speaking about sexual intercourse between children/very young adults (teens) and adults (34 in this case). The very nature of relationships between adults and children, especially adults in a position of authority, is different. Suggesting that there is no relevance with respect to age and the sexual nature of their relationship because of emotional immaturity, is kind of gross, IMHO.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Most is not all. Either way, age is relevant when speaking about sexual intercourse between children/very young adults (teens) and adults (34 in this case). The very nature of relationships between adults and children, especially adults in a position of authority, is different. Suggesting that there is no relevance with respect to age and the sexual nature of their relationship because of emotional immaturity, is kind of gross, IMHO.

About a hundred years ago or so marriage took place around puberty. That was the norm. Whether it was between teens or an adult and a teen wasn't considered odd one way or another. Social norms have changed but nobody can really say why.

I think if you look it up you will find that emotional immaturity is the social norm today and all this excitement about what others do sexually can be related to that.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Even if it did start in elementary school, it doesn't make her a pedophile. My daughters are in elementary school and have reached puberty.

Add to that, this teacher continued on with the relationship as the kid got older. A pedophile generally wouldn't. The sexual attraction would decline.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Even if it did start in elementary school, it doesn't make her a pedophile. My daughters are in elementary school and have reached puberty.

Add to that, this teacher continued on with the relationship as the kid got older. A pedophile generally wouldn't. The sexual attraction would decline.

I don't know a single boy who had hit puberty in elementary school. Girls mature earlier.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
About a hundred years ago or so marriage took place around puberty. That was the norm. Whether it was between teens or an adult and a teen wasn't considered odd one way or another. Social norms have changed but nobody can really say why.

I think if you look it up you will find that emotional immaturity is the social norm today and all this excitement about what others do sexually can be related to that.
I highly doubt it. Being concerned about the potential dangers young people face while attending publically funded institutions such as schools, can not be simplified by your explanation of emotional immaturity. I'm sure if you looked it up, you might notice that what you are doing seems more like justifying bad behavior with psychobabble.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Pedophilia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The term pedophilia or paedophilia has a range of definitions as found in psychology, law enforcement, and the popular vernacular. As a medical diagnosis, it is defined as a psychological disorder in which an adult experiences a sexual preference for prepubescent children".

If she was a pedophile, her interest in this boy would have waned as he matured.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Pedophilia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The term pedophilia or paedophilia has a range of definitions as found in psychology, law enforcement, and the popular vernacular. As a medical diagnosis, it is defined as a psychological disorder in which an adult experiences a sexual preference for prepubescent children".

If she was a pedophile, her interest in this boy would have waned as he matured.

not necessarily. It's just a preference, not a concrete manifestation. It's not proof of when it began. Or didn't.