In the age of fluoride, how did dentistry get to be so lucrative

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Most of the dentists I know make more than doctors, engineers and accountants

The chic, downtown dental clinic in Vancouver’s Yaletown neighbourhood tempts new patients with a sexy, sidewalk ad: a close-up of a woman’s mouth, glossy red lips parted as she sucks on a black cherry. Inside, in the elegant, steel-and-glass reception area, a giant, flat-screen TV broadcasts a gruesome loop: an endless barrage of mangled, rotting, yellow teeth. Fear not. Nearby are advertisements for procedures to cure your train-wreck smile, including Lumineers, Zoom! Whitening, and Botox—whose virtues the stunning, 24-year-old dental hygienist rattles off as the exam begins. She’s used it to treat her wrinkles and frown lines, she says. She loves it.

In the past 20 years, even as fluoridated water, toothpastes, sealants and protective resins have greatly cut down on cavities and decay, dentists have somehow flourished. In Canada, dentists now earn an average of $140,000 a year, roughly the same as doctors—up from $125,000 a decade ago. In the U.S., they’re quickly outpacing doctors. In 2004, U.S. dentists earned an average of $185,000, compared with primary care physicians, who earn between $140,000 and $160,000. Factor in the number of hours worked, and the disparity grows even wider. After a bit of creativity, marketing, and a few aesthetic touches, some of today’s clinics look more like spas, offering paraffin-wax hand treatments, massage chairs and Zen lighting—dentistry has reinvented itself.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Right... people want their teeth perfect...like mine... but I am lucky. I do use whiteners from time to time to keep them white. If my teeth were off a bit I would get them fixed...but that is just me.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
I remember the good old days. My Da's teeth were also white, straight and perfect. He keep them in a glass of water beside his bed

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Two things: one, the increase in people drinking pop and tongue piercings has led to a huge increase in tooth problems; two, dentistry isn't covered by medicare, so the dentists are paid properly for their work, as opposed to doctors.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
seriously? How much do tongue piercings contribute?

The metal in the tongue piercing scrapes enamel off of the back of the teeth because people keep fiddling with it. It's un-natural so usually uncomfortable, at least for a while. I've watched people with them and they are constantly moving their tongue around. Quite often I can here the metal clacking against their teeth as they talk. It changes how they talk and some are self conscious of it.

Personally, I think any body piercing is self mutilation. It reminds me of a story I read back in the 70s where the rage was disfiguring you face. A model had her face surgically mutilated and became the top model until the fad changed to something else. She was stuck with that face for the rest of her life.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Probably the same way a "high risk" game like insurance shows record profits: GREED!

If a profession is pandering to someones vanity, the profits are enormous. 300-400%. The root of the problem is our own vanity and we will pay just about anything to think we look better

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The metal in the tongue piercing scrapes enamel off of the back of the teeth because people keep fiddling with it.

I used to work in a body piercing shop cliffy... I know HOW a piercing can damage teeth, what I was curious about is the actual percentage of dentistry that is attributed to tongue rings.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
The metal in the tongue piercing scrapes enamel off of the back of the teeth because people keep fiddling with it. It's un-natural so usually uncomfortable, at least for a while. I've watched people with them and they are constantly moving their tongue around. Quite often I can here the metal clacking against their teeth as they talk. It changes how they talk and some are self conscious of it.

Personally, I think any body piercing is self mutilation. It reminds me of a story I read back in the 70s where the rage was disfiguring you face. A model had her face surgically mutilated and became the top model until the fad changed to something else. She was stuck with that face for the rest of her life.

shades of Mike Tyson?

I remember when "branding" was a big fad (as opposed to tattooing). The results were just harsh

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
shades of Mike Tyson?

I remember when "branding" was a big fad (as opposed to tattooing). The results were just harsh

Boy, I musta been in the bush too long as I don't remember that fad! But then, I have always maintained the people are crazy. As Roger Waters wrote in one of his solo albums, "This species has amused itself to death."

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
Never let a Dentist touch your teeth with metal pick.

Back at the start of the 90's I went into a Dentist to get my teeth cleaner and he scrapped the enamal along the gum line of all my teeth. I fought tooth decay for 15 years after that. I finally said to he!! with it a couple of years ago and went to a different city (the locals kept putting me off) and walked in an paid cash to have them all pulled.

Best thing I ever did. I feel better now than I did for the last 10 years I had teeth. The posion from the decay was killing me. All the locals wanted to do was bleed my dental plan. They would just go around and around in my mouth fixing the worst teeth.

I still haven't received dentures as a personal choice but don't miss the teeth (I can't eat nuts is the only reason I would miss them). The teeth were so uncomfortable that no teeth is better.

Don't let them use metal picks. If they poke at a tooth remember it - next time in they will be drilling that exact spot. You can prove it to yourself.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
CanadianLove, is this you?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Two things: one, the increase in people drinking pop and tongue piercings has led to a huge increase in tooth problems; two, dentistry isn't covered by medicare, so the dentists are paid properly for their work, as opposed to doctors.
We have dental. Depends on your benefits package. My husband has coverage and so do I.
Juice (apple in particular)is worse for your teeth than pop is and while you may not think it - so are bananas. You should brush right after drinking juice or eating a banana. Babies should never go to bed with a bottle of juice. Oddly enough, even milk can be hard on a baby's teeth if left over-night. A dentist scraping your teeth with metal does not harm them. Brushing too hard and using a hard or even medium toothbrush is also bad. Daughter-in-law is a dental assistant.