Obama's visit with Ignatieff

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
http://ad.ca.doubleclick.net/click;...embrandt_and_the_golden_age_of_dutch_art.html
Wasn't he here to see Harpo? Maybe he knows something we don't? or possiblely it's just Obama's "wishful thinking.....

THE OBAMA VISIT: IGGY'S 25 MINUTES
Compliments, common friends and some politics too

In a chat 10 minutes longer than planned, Ignatieff tries to show easy rapport with Obama

STEVEN CHASE
February 20, 2009

OTTAWA -- In the span of a 25-minute chat yesterday, Barack Obama complimented Michael Ignatieff's writing career, talked of common friends and, the Liberal Leader hopes, helped bolster his own political credentials as a prime-minister-in-waiting.

Mr. Ignatieff, who's only 10 weeks into his new job as Official Opposition Leader in Ottawa, emerged from his courtesy sit-down during Mr. Obama's presidential visit yesterday trying to demonstrate that he'd built an easy rapport with Mr. Obama.

Mr. Ignatieff suggested Mr. Obama was frank with him about the bewildering future of the war against the Taliban in Afghanistan, which has already claimed the lives of 108 Canadian soldiers as well as hundreds of other NATO troops. "I said 'Canadians have a sense of strategic drift there. We don't know what the plan is.' He said, rather amusingly, that a lot of people in the White House feel exactly the same way."

Mr. Ignatieff's chat with Mr. Obama, a minor stop on the President's Canadian meeting schedule yesterday, nevertheless turned out better than the itinerary had originally suggested. Relegated to an aging hangar at Ottawa's airport, it ended up lasting 10 minutes longer than planned, Mr. Ignatieff noted for reporters, smiling. The Liberal Leader said he was particularly flattered when Mr. Obama

complimented him on books and articles he'd written before entering politics.
"It made this particular Canadian author feel pretty good," Mr. Ignatieff told reporters. "He didn't mention [any] books by name but said he'd read me before he was in politics, when he was a professor at law school."

But the Liberal Leader tried to dispel the impression he was claiming a special relationship with the popular President, despite the fact that both studied at Harvard University and are accomplished authors. "Kinship? Look, there's only one Barack Obama. ... I'm a politician in Canada. Let's keep it under control here."
He was clearly impressed with his Obama encounter, however. "I've been lucky in my life to meet famous people and some people seem smaller when you meet them. [Obama] was just as big as you think he is. He is a very, very big presence."

Mr. Ignatieff also appeared to be softening his stand on ending Canada's soldiering commitment to Afghanistan in 2011. He told Mr. Obama that Canada can't be expected to sign up for more when there is still confusion over the NATO mission's future. "What I said to the President very directly is, 'You can't get us to re-up [re-enlist] in a situation of strategic incoherence' ... and he heard what I was saying."
The Liberal Leader seemed to be leaving the door open to a possible Afghanistan mission extension when later asked whether he'd support a request by Mr. Obama to do just that. "We cross that bridge when we come to it," he said, saying right now the parliamentary resolution that ends the combat mission in less than three years is the rule the Liberals are heeding.
"We're bound by the parliamentary resolution. I've said clearly that our party's position, currently, is that the military phase of the mission ends in 2011."

Mr. Ignatieff said he pressed Mr. Obama on the increasing layers of anti-terror measures that were clogging cross-border commerce between the United States and Canada, saying the President understood the problem.

He said Mr. Obama also suggested his new Homeland Security Secretary also sees the Canadian border as less of a threat than the Mexican border

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Mr. Ignatieff is an intellectual and Obama has formally meat with his future Liberal ally north of the 48th parallel.

Quoting Obama when asked by reporters of the future relationship between Canada and the US, Obama answered,
“We will have a stronger relationship four years from now between our Canadian close Neighbors than today"

that statement indicates that Obama is aware that Harper with his dwindling popularity of a minority Government his days are numbered, so.............yes the four years from now Obama will STILL be the President of the US and for sure by then looking at the fiscal black hole the Conservatives will have subjected the Canadian people too it will be obvious the Canadian people will ask Ignatieff to help Canada recover. The writing is on the wall. The majority of Americans had enough of G W BUSH, Canadians are next to get rid of the DULL Conservatives in Ottawa, a Government who would rather hide behind the GG skirt then Govern for the good of the people and the good of the country. A government who 12 weeks ego said no deficit and the real forcast just became known that in the next 5 years Canada will be looking at $84BILLION RED INK

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
...and future Prime Minister's .....

Very possibly.....

If Ignatieff

a) dropped the bloody super-superior "I've come down from the Upper Class to mend your rotten ways" attitude

b) dropped the gun registry

c) promised to continue our Afghan mission until 2011

d) continued and increased support for the military

e) swore off coalitions with the seditious for ever and ever amen......

f) stated sincere and solid support for Israel

then even I might vote for him......

the funny thing is I think he personally would agree with all those positions, but he may well have to pretend he is something he ain't to keep the lefty Liberals in line.

I'm pretty fed up with Harper....but I've never voted Liberal in my life........Reform, CA, PC, even NDP, but not Liberal.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Wasn't he here to see Harpo? Maybe he knows something we don't? or possiblely it's just Obama's "wishful thinking.....

THE OBAMA VISIT: IGGY'S 25 MINUTES
Compliments, common friends and some politics too

In a chat 10 minutes longer than planned, Ignatieff tries to show easy rapport with Obama
So in other words, Mr Obama was polite and entertained him for a few min. longer. Because Ignatieff tries to show an easy rapport means nothing more than that the President has tact. Something that appears to have been lacking in Mr. Ignatieff at the time.

STEVEN CHASE
February 20, 2009

OTTAWA -- In the span of a 25-minute chat yesterday, Barack Obama complimented Michael Ignatieff's writing career, talked of common friends and, the Liberal Leader hopes, helped bolster his own political credentials as a prime-minister-in-waiting.
One reporters view. It should read: helped bolster his own political hopes as a possible prime minister. Not as one in waiting. He's a wannabe at this moment and nothing more.

Mr. Ignatieff, who's only 10 weeks into his new job as Official Opposition Leader in Ottawa, emerged from his courtesy sit-down during Mr. Obama's presidential visit yesterday trying to demonstrate that he'd built an easy rapport with Mr. Obama.

Mr. Ignatieff suggested Mr. Obama was frank with him about the bewildering future of the war against the Taliban in Afghanistan, which has already claimed the lives of 108 Canadian soldiers as well as hundreds of other NATO troops. "I said 'Canadians have a sense of strategic drift there. We don't know what the plan is.' He said, rather amusingly, that a lot of people in the White House feel exactly the same way."

Mr. Ignatieff's chat with Mr. Obama, a minor stop on the President's Canadian meeting schedule yesterday, nevertheless turned out better than the itinerary had originally suggested. Relegated to an aging hangar at Ottawa's airport, it ended up lasting 10 minutes longer than planned, Mr. Ignatieff noted for reporters, smiling. The Liberal Leader said he was particularly flattered when Mr. Obama
As stated: Shows the President has tact at being forced to continue a conversation for longer than planned.

complimented him on books and articles he'd written before entering politics.
"It made this particular Canadian author feel pretty good," Mr. Ignatieff told reporters. "He didn't mention [any] books by name but said he'd read me before he was in politics, when he was a professor at law school."
Because he "read him" doesn't mean he especially liked him. Again - tact!

But the Liberal Leader tried to dispel the impression he was claiming a special relationship with the popular President, despite the fact that both studied at Harvard University and are accomplished authors. "Kinship? Look, there's only one Barack Obama. ... I'm a politician in Canada. Let's keep it under control here."
He was clearly impressed with his Obama encounter, however. "I've been lucky in my life to meet famous people and some people seem smaller when you meet them. [Obama] was just as big as you think he is. He is a very, very big presence."
I sincerely doubt he was trying to dispel anything.
Mr. Ignatieff also appeared to be softening his stand on ending Canada's soldiering commitment to Afghanistan in 2011. He told Mr. Obama that Canada can't be expected to sign up for more when there is still confusion over the NATO mission's future. "What I said to the President very directly is, 'You can't get us to re-up [re-enlist] in a situation of strategic incoherence' ... and he heard what I was saying."
What I hear Ignatieff saying is that maybe he'll carry on with Afghanistan IF he becomes the PM
The Liberal Leader seemed to be leaving the door open to a possible Afghanistan mission extension when later asked whether he'd support a request by Mr. Obama to do just that. "We cross that bridge when we come to it," he said, saying right now the parliamentary resolution that ends the combat mission in less than three years is the rule the Liberals are heeding.
"We're bound by the parliamentary resolution. I've said clearly that our party's position, currently, is that the military phase of the mission ends in 2011."
Oh My! Could I be right? Told you he was for the American side of the border - doesn't care about Canadians.
Mr. Ignatieff said he pressed Mr. Obama on the increasing layers of anti-terror measures that were clogging cross-border commerce between the United States and Canada, saying the President understood the problem.
So? Big deal! All of this has been being talked about. Ignatieff said or did nothing special or new here.

He said Mr. Obama also suggested his new Homeland Security Secretary also sees the Canadian border as less of a threat than the Mexican border
Isn't that special (not like it hasn't been said already in the past few months anyway).

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Mr. Ignatieff is an intellectual and Obama has formally meat with his future Liberal ally north of the 48th parallel.

Quoting Obama when asked by reporters of the future relationship between Canada and the US, Obama answered,
“We will have a stronger relationship four years from now between our Canadian close Neighbors than today"

that statement indicates that Obama is aware that Harper with his dwindling popularity of a minority Government his days are numbered, so.............yes the four years from now Obama will STILL be the President of the US and for sure by then looking at the fiscal black hole the Conservatives will have subjected the Canadian people too it will be obvious the Canadian people will ask Ignatieff to help Canada recover. The writing is on the wall. The majority of Americans had enough of G W BUSH, Canadians are next to get rid of the DULL Conservatives in Ottawa, a Government who would rather hide behind the GG skirt then Govern for the good of the people and the good of the country. A government who 12 weeks ego said no deficit and the real forcast just became known that in the next 5 years Canada will be looking at $84BILLION RED INK

LOL and you think the libs wouldn't have done the same thing??? The budget is half liberal, don't forget./ Get your head out of the sand.................

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Very possibly.....

If Ignatieff

a) dropped the bloody super-superior "I've come down from the Upper Class to mend your rotten ways" attitude

the funny thing is I think he personally would agree with all those positions, but he may well have to pretend he is something he ain't to keep the lefty Liberals in line.

I'm pretty fed up with Harper....but I've never voted Liberal in my life........Reform, CA, PC, even NDP, but not Liberal.

Colpy Good day to you,
I like your honesty ;-):smile:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
LOL and you think the libs wouldn't have done the same thing??? The budget is half liberal, don't forget./ Get your head out of the sand.................

Good day Risus, look, before Harper got his hand on the wheel the liberals left Canada is a very good fiscal position, the loser comes in $12B SURPLUS IS A GONER AND ON TOP WE SEE THE NEXT 5 YEARS ARE RED INK, I am 100% sure that in the 2006 election if Martin had stayed on we would not be seeing the fiscal mess we see to day thanks to the liers and cheats of the Harper Conservatives.

Don’t forget that the voter’s puissance will not be hopeful for ever with Harper.
As soon as the red ink will start oozing out like burning lava people will panic and Harper will be gone. Have a good weekend.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

The budget is pretty much all Liberal with a small smattering of NDP. It was the only way Harpo could save his own butt and not bring on election on

There is very little "Conservative" fiscal policy in it except the distribution of Pork to Conservative ridings.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Very possibly.....

If Ignatieff

I'm fed up with them all actually and just want someone to lead us out of the wilderness that Harpo has taken us to.

I don't see any "shining stars" currently or in the near future

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Here's the beginning of Charles Adler's take on this:

Well, I’m proud of our Prime Minister. I sat through watching the interviews after their meeting with the reporters and Stephen Harper was outstanding. The Canadian reporters, I thought, did their best to embarrass or trip up the Prime Minister but he handled them very well. And I appreciate President Obama echoing the same sentiment.

I tried to imagine Chrétien, in his slaughtered English, talk and express his points as the Prime Minister and there’s no way in Hades, Chrétien could have come across the same way. I could see Chrétien come across as the grandfather politician and give the President pointers on how to run a country. He would have given the President a soap stone Loon as a memento of his visit.

I tried to imagine Layton as the Prime Minister. Layton would have been wrapped around President Obama’s ankle, or sitting like a little kid at his feet in total awe. He would have had no original thought or opinion, but just parrot what the President had said, and talking himself in circles. I think he would have wet himself too…

I tried imagining Iggy as P.M. and we would have seen President Obama fall asleep, listening to Iggy go on and on and on, making the President look like his speeches are only sound bites. Iggy would have probably reminisced about the good old days at Harvard.

If your interested in the rest of Adler's take on this, it can be
found here: CJOB 68: Manitoba's Information Superstation
He starts out with a Listeners Email (excerpt above) and gives
his opinion on the Canadian Media, among other things...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah, I thought that was hilarious, since Harper got a meeting with Obama, nothing would do but Ignatieff had to have one too. Obama obviously knew how to handle him in a tactful manner, gave him a couple of minutes at the airport before catching his plane. Beautiful.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Colpy

If Ignatieff

I agree but should Harper perhaps Listen to the people more ?

OK so why have the Conservatives not killed it yet ? Humm shounds like the GST and Chretien !

Why our commitment is until 2011. Until we have any other reason to stay longer, we should not do so. I see no one else jumping up and down saying they will stay longer or wanting to join in. We did our part and more and I am proud of our troops.

No one said he would not.

Why, Harper has not and signed a duplicate document back in 2004 with the same Devils ? There is nothing unconstitutional about it. You may not like it until the day Conservatives take advantage of it, but it's legal.

I think that will be for him to decide. Harper has already changed Canada's original unbias position and now it will be hard to revert.. I think that was a bad mistake.. As we Canadians do not want others telling us what to do in our own Country, other would not want us taking sides agains't them. How do you feel if France took sides with the French in New Brunswick to separate with Quebec?

Your Choice

I think he would sway the party in some cases.. I agree with that. I find it hard to believe he could change MOST of those points as they tend to disagree with Liberal policy..

I'm pretty fedup with all of them.. I hope to see good policy in the next election and would like to see Harper gone..

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Yeah, I thought that was hilarious, since Harper got a meeting with Obama, nothing would do but Ignatieff had to have one too. Obama obviously knew how to handle him in a tactful manner, gave him a couple of minutes at the airport before catching his plane. Beautiful.

I think getting any time with the President is valued time.. A couple of minutes ( 25 ) is worth a million in at this stage and was in no way trivial..

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I think getting any time with the President is valued time.. A couple of minutes ( 25 ) is worth a million in at this stage and was in no way trivial..
I cannot agree with you here SirFrancis. It is obvious that Ignatieff thinks himself on higher ground than he is and made an embarrassing attempt at usurping the PM's time with the President which simply shows his ignorance. As I said earlier, Obama simply has tact and allowed it to happen. Ignatieff is very conceited and being so high on himself, would not have noticed his own boorish manners.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Here's the beginning of Charles Adler's take on this:

Well, I’m proud of our Prime Minister. I sat through watching the interviews after their meeting with the reporters and Stephen Harper was outstanding. The Canadian reporters, I thought, did their best to embarrass or trip up the Prime Minister but he handled them very well. And I appreciate President Obama echoing the same sentiment.

I tried to imagine Chrétien, in his slaughtered English, talk and express his points as the Prime Minister and there’s no way in Hades, Chrétien could have come across the same way. I could see Chrétien come across as the grandfather politician and give the President pointers on how to run a country. He would have given the President a soap stone Loon as a memento of his visit.

I tried to imagine Layton as the Prime Minister. Layton would have been wrapped around President Obama’s ankle, or sitting like a little kid at his feet in total awe. He would have had no original thought or opinion, but just parrot what the President had said, and talking himself in circles. I think he would have wet himself too…

I tried imagining Iggy as P.M. and we would have seen President Obama fall asleep, listening to Iggy go on and on and on, making the President look like his speeches are only sound bites. Iggy would have probably reminisced about the good old days at Harvard.

If your interested in the rest of Adler's take on this, it can be
found here: CJOB 68: Manitoba's Information Superstation
He starts out with a Listeners Email (excerpt above) and gives
his opinion on the Canadian Media, among other things...

Good thing nobody takes Adler seriously.

Second rate radio talk shows that are bad comedy trying to get passed as journalism has never been a big audience grabber in Canada

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

Really. I thought Obama spent more than a couple of minutes with Harpo?

Maybe it's the couple of minutes where Harper tried to speak intelligently you are referring to?