Neighbors – Good and Bad -

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What have been your experiences with neighbors – How did you handle the goofballs -
Presently I have the neighbor from hell.

A friend of mine had a similar type neighbor – So when it came to replacing the fence the other fellow would not chip in – so my friend tore it down – he built a new fence just inside his property line and painted the neighbors side an ugly color of pink – He then explained to him – touch the fence with any color and I will lodge a complaint of vandalism with the police – My type of guy -

PS – The fellow that originally built the fence where I live also built it inside the property lines -

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
While living in Sask I had doofus neighbours on one side and behind me, (the ones beside us were originaly friends the the wife was a little manic and turned on us for reasons unknown). Then the neighbours on the other side of us had to move to the city because the missus was gravely ill. The idiots who bought the place converted the 3 car garage into a kennel and raised german shepherds. Of course the kennel part faced our place and the friggin dogs barked all day while they were at work.:angryfire:

He came over one day and mentioned that our fenceline was a little askew and was well on his property. Well you moron, if you had two brain cells to rub together you would realise IT'S YOUR BLOODY FENCE, PUT THERE BY THE GUY YOU BOUGHT THE PLACE FROM, simpleton. He comes over again and says his wife wants to bring her horses and they need a fence, so I retort, "and you're telling me this why?" Another day he's out on the grid surveying the property line so I go to investigate, nosey that I am. "I rented a transom (sic) and thought I would sight in where to put the fence". I asked him why he didn't rent the rest of the boat, but long before this I realised his oil didn't quite reach his dipstick and sarcasm went far over his head. I suggested he hire a surveyor. Friends who had bought his old property knew he was looking for a sucker so we already had the heads up when he came to ask for our help with the $2500 bill. Sorry dude, you want horses, and 3 miles of fence, fill your boots, but we ain't payin'.

I think the dog barking was his retaliation, he even let them loose to run on our property. The by-laws only ask that if you shoot a neighbour's dog that you try to contact them. Though I was tempted, and even urged by my wife, I couldn't bring myself to shoot them, they were just too darned friendly. But my job required me to operate some very, very noisy equipment, equipment I brought as close to their house as legally possible at 7 in the morning and 11 at night. Whew, now I feel better.

BTW, most cities require neighbours to share the cost of mutual fences, but only up to the cost of a chain link, if buddy wants to put in a cedar good neighbour fence the rest is on him. There is no such requirement in rural areas to my knowledge.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
While living in Sask I had doofus neighbours on one side and behind me, (the ones beside us were originaly friends the the wife was a little manic and turned on us for reasons unknown). Then the neighbours on the other side of us had to move to the city because the missus was gravely ill. The idiots who bought the place converted the 3 car garage into a kennel and raised german shepherds. Of course the kennel part faced our place and the friggin dogs barked all day while they were at work.:angryfire:

He came over one day and mentioned that our fenceline was a little askew and was well on his property. Well you moron, if you had two brain cells to rub together you would realise IT'S YOUR BLOODY FENCE, PUT THERE BY THE GUY YOU BOUGHT THE PLACE FROM, simpleton. He comes over again and says his wife wants to bring her horses and they need a fence, so I retort, "and you're telling me this why?" Another day he's out on the grid surveying the property line so I go to investigate, nosey that I am. "I rented a transom (sic) and thought I would sight in where to put the fence". I asked him why he didn't rent the rest of the boat, but long before this I realised his oil didn't quite reach his dipstick and sarcasm went far over his head. I suggested he hire a surveyor. Friends who had bought his old property knew he was looking for a sucker so we already had the heads up when he came to ask for our help with the $2500 bill. Sorry dude, you want horses, and 3 miles of fence, fill your boots, but we ain't payin'.

I think the dog barking was his retaliation, he even let them loose to run on our property. The by-laws only ask that if you shoot a neighbour's dog that you try to contact them. Though I was tempted, and even urged by my wife, I couldn't bring myself to shoot them, they were just too darned friendly. But my job required me to operate some very, very noisy equipment, equipment I brought as close to their house as legally possible at 7 in the morning and 11 at night. Whew, now I feel better.

BTW, most cities require neighbours to share the cost of mutual fences, but only up to the cost of a chain link, if buddy wants to put in a cedar good neighbour fence the rest is on him. There is no such requirement in rural areas to my knowledge.
Bobnoorduyn

Well my friend I can indeed make some suggestions – Not legal but what you do and how you handle it is up to you – remember leave no fingerprints but always have them knowing it was you and you can always come up with more

Living in a rural community subscribe to some magazines that will be the talk of the area – I need not say more –
Hire a sex trade worker, thru a friend to show up at his work or at a neighbors house looking for him to square up his outstanding bills for that 3some and have her let them know that she threw the animals in for free, but next time it would be extra as the gerbils died.
Use CSIS -

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Bobnoorduyn

Well my friend I can indeed make some suggestions – Not legal but what you do and how you handle it is up to you – remember leave no fingerprints but always have them knowing it was you and you can always come up with more

Living in a rural community subscribe to some magazines that will be the talk of the area – I need not say more –
Hire a sex trade worker, thru a friend to show up at his work or at a neighbors house looking for him to square up his outstanding bills for that 3some and have her let them know that she threw the animals in for free, but next time it would be extra as the gerbils died.
Use CSIS -

Ooooh, you're sick and twisted, I like that. Oh well, too late, I moved away. My neighbours here are quiet for the most part, but I'll certainly keep those suggestions in mind if there is a next time.;-)

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
What have been your experiences with neighbors – How did you handle the goofballs -

A friend of mine had a similar type neighbor – So when it came to replacing the fence the other fellow would not chip in – so my friend tore it down – he built a new fence just inside his property line and painted the neighbors side an ugly color of pink – He then explained to him – touch the fence with any color and I will lodge a complaint of vandalism with the police – My type of guy -

PS – The fellow that originally built the fence where I live also built it inside the property lines -

OMG! My best friend lived across the street from someone who did that - for the same reason .... wonder if it's the same one? I saw the fence- it was truly an impressive example of diabolical spite in action!! It was hideous and we laughed ourselves hoarse when we saw it! :lol:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
OMG! My best friend lived across the street from someone who did that - for the same reason .... wonder if it's the same one? I saw the fence- it was truly an impressive example of diabolical spite in action!! It was hideous and we laughed ourselves hoarse when we saw it! :lol:

Tyr

The pink fence was in Edmonton – is that close – give me some hints, perhaps we know the same person. Driver for a certain company I believe.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I think it was Millwoods - my friend lived across the street, so I didn't know the people involved in the dispute.
The way I heard it though, the people who didn't want to pay for the fence turned around and had a "pink" party in their backyard to thumb their noses at the neighbors who painted the fence pink.
I never heard how it ended up. Is the fence still pink? lolll

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
We have been fighting with our righthand neighbour since Nov.2006[when we bought this house],mostly over shared use of our driveway. He dropped dead the other day..and I sort of miss the old bugger:-(

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Tyr

The pink fence was in Edmonton – is that close – give me some hints, perhaps we know the same person. Driver for a certain company I believe.

Lol! It wasn't Tyr asking the question that time, it was Zan.:p:lol::p

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Just after I finished college we bought our first house. It was in one of those new subdivisions where there was maybe only three different styles of house, but if they were turned ninety degrees either way, and were covered with different colours of aluminium siding, they looked sort of different if you didn't look too closely. One of our neighbors was a lady called Sandy who's husband was a taxi driver on permanent night shift. Sandy did her best to sleep with every willing husband in the neighborhood. God! It was like a bad movie.(somehow she never approached me.:roll:;-)) There were many screamfests and several marriages broke up. After about a year and a half, Sandy and her husband moved away and things quietened down, to everyone's relief.

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
"I think the dog barking was his retaliation, he even let them loose to run on our property. The by-laws only ask that if you shoot a neighbour's dog that you try to contact them. Though I was tempted, and even urged by my wife, I couldn't bring myself to shoot them, they were just too darned friendly."

If this happens again start leaving cubes of raw potato around the yard. This will give the dogs gas. This works a lot better if the dog is allowed in their home at night.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

By-laws differ everywhere. I may well be wrong but I belive that even if you choose to build a fence inside your property in BC, it is the dividing line and the neighbours can paint it any colour they choose. We built a fence (one of many we've built over the years) that the neighbours "didn't have in their budget for that year" so we footed the bill. Our house was white so we wanted a white fence. The neighbours wanted theirs a reddish brown colour(?)so when they painted it, it ran through onto our white! Both of us were new in the area so we said nothing and just fixed our side. Then we put in an in ground swimming pool. They had a tree that had leaves leaves leaves. I so wished the tree would die and we discussed ways of trying to kill that tree but my husband's work put us in the position of having to leave it alone. The same year, I don't know what happened but that tree turned black and died within a couple of weeks. I swear, we did nothing.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
"I think the dog barking was his retaliation, he even let them loose to run on our property. The by-laws only ask that if you shoot a neighbour's dog that you try to contact them. Though I was tempted, and even urged by my wife, I couldn't bring myself to shoot them, they were just too darned friendly."

If this happens again start leaving cubes of raw potato around the yard. This will give the dogs gas. This works a lot better if the dog is allowed in their home at night.
I don't know if this happens with all dogs but we have had two dogs that if we give them cooked potato - they barf. Seems that would be a tad more effective.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
We are currently blessed with good neighbours. However, before moving to our current house, we had a the neighbour from hell.

Single welfare mom with a 11-13yr old boy who could do no wrong. At least according to his mom. She'd sit on the couch all day while he'd be in the back yard smoking pot/cigarettes. When confronted, she said "My boy wouldn't do that"

Had a neighbour down the alley way, who'd come here from Rhwanda. Just bought his wife a car. Had it parked in the alley on their property without insurance when the little ****head beside us, along with a couple of friends decided it was fun to drop large rocks onto the hood of the car and windshield. The mom said her son "would never do that" Even though I saw it with my own eyes...

The last straw was this boy or one of his friends took a dump in another ladies outdoor storage cupboard. I scooped it with a shovel and placed it on their patio right in front of the door. We moved a couple weeks later. The boy had to stop going to school because of threats made by other students. Older and younger. He sat around the house all day. Imagine quiting school at 12. I'm sure he's in juevy now.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County

As I said, we moved away, but the only "inside" they saw was the garage turned kennel. The runs they made for them faced our kitchen which had sliding doors to a deck, nice summertime entertainment. There was somewhat of a shelterbelt until they had a friend go at it with a D-8 to make way for their fence. These doofus's bred dogs and had anywhere from 10 -12 at a time.

Oh yes, the neighbours on the other side; every time one of their cows died they would bury the carcass as close to our property as possible at the back corner of theirs. Naturally the coyotes would drag entrails all over the place and our dog would bring whatever was left home.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
As I said, we moved away, but the only "inside" they saw was the garage turned kennel. The runs they made for them faced our kitchen which had sliding doors to a deck, nice summertime entertainment. There was somewhat of a shelterbelt until they had a friend go at it with a D-8 to make way for their fence. These doofus's bred dogs and had anywhere from 10 -12 at a time.

Oh yes, the neighbours on the other side; every time one of their cows died they would bury the carcass as close to our property as possible at the back corner of theirs. Naturally the coyotes would drag entrails all over the place and our dog would bring whatever was left home.

Anything containing a laxative will work – Meat and Exlax – Runs in the dog run – Equates to health hazard – and higher vet bills -

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Anything containing a laxative will work – Meat and Exlax – Runs in the dog run – Equates to health hazard – and higher vet bills -

The dogs were, by and large innocent, it was just the doofus neighbours that were oblivious to their barking during the day, since they weren't home. Of course they didn't believe "their" dogs would bark during the day. I would have shot them had they been a threat, no question, but I wouldn't harm them just because they were a nuisance.

I was no angel either, I used to let my dog out at 5:00 and go and have my shower, and let her back in at 5:30 when I went to work. She was deaf and half blind but would make her way over to our other neighbours house and let off a few barks too. He threatened to shoot her as well but I'm sure he thought better of it. To think we used to be friends, until his wife went psycho and started spreading rumours about my wife.:sad3:

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
We are currently blessed with good neighbours. However, before moving to our current house, we had a the neighbour from hell.

Single welfare mom with a 11-13yr old boy who could do no wrong. At least according to his mom. She'd sit on the couch all day while he'd be in the back yard smoking pot/cigarettes. When confronted, she said "My boy wouldn't do that"

You brought to mind the last time I lived in a city, about 100 years ago, my wife and I were just talking about it. We had neighbours from hell in Calgary, mind you we had two saviour neighbours too, but that's not what this thread is about. The ones on one side of us had a daughter about the same age as ours who could not stay away, okay we tolerated her. But they had a strange son a little older, about 12, I caught him smashing a bottle with a rock, on our front steps, WTF. Another sibling backed his car out of the driveway and in a semi circular motion, t-boned our car parked in front of our house, this was just after we had left to go out for dinner. I didn't find out until the next morning when I went to go to work and found the driver's side door caved in. Our saviour neighbour on the other side actually saw the whole thing happen and reported it. Turns out the guy was suspended, but our insurance company went after them after paying us. Another occupant was a trucker and would park his rig in the driveway and leave it running all night. The stories I could tell about these folks would fill a chapter in a book. Dammit Twila, I was trying to forget these idiots, and doing a good job of it too :angryfire: