Cats to be tagged to show if they're mass murderers

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Cats to be tagged to show if they're mass murderers

It may be a pussycat at home, but behind your back your pet moggy is a ruthless assassin.

Millions of other small animals fall victim to our feline friends, with researchers claiming that each cat takes about five lives every year.

Now some of these soft-pawed mass murderers are to be electronically tagged to discover exactly how many wildlife deaths they are responsible for.

Some experts believe Britain's nine million cats could be killing nearly 150 million birds, mice, rabbits and other creatures every year.

And for some small creatures such as the house sparrow - whose numbers are already in decline - cat predation could be a serious threat.

So now scientists are looking at 241 cats to investigate what they get up to when they are not at home.

The research is being led by PhD student Rebecca Dulieu, a biologist at the Centre for Wildlife Assessment and Conservation at Reading University.

The project will attempt to calculate the number of prey for each cat, along with their hunting movements and home ranges.

The total number of prey for cats from nine urban areas around Reading will be recorded.

Miss Dulieu said: 'We have found that our cats are bringing back, on average, 4.8 dead animals a year, mostly mice, but some rats, shrews and bank voles, and we've even had a weasel and a mole.'

Previous research has shown cats bring only about 30 per cent of their prey home, with large kills such as rabbits too heavy to carry and some creatures eaten on the spot.

That means the average annual kill rate of the urban moggy is more like 16, suggesting around 145million animals are being killed by the nation's felines.

Now some of the cats will be fitted with electronic tags - data loggers known as 'daily diaries' - to allow researchers to identify when they are carrying out activities such as eating, hunting or sleeping.

Source

I "acquired" a cat a few months ago (it moved in) and the first thing I did was put a bell on it just so it couldn't kill things.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
House cats as ruthless killers is highly exaggerated.
Here is a photo of my good friend and house cat Willie.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I "acquired" a cat a few months ago (it moved in) and the first thing I did was put a bell on it just so it couldn't kill things.

That may not work, depending on the abilities of the cat. Our cat continues to catch birds no matter how many bells we hang off of it.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Maybe the cat is supposed to catch the birds not swift enough to escape, even when the cat is handicapped...

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
She's NOT handicapped. She's "venatically challenged". I'm so glad she is not here to read your hurtful words.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
That may not work, depending on the abilities of the cat. Our cat continues to catch birds no matter how many bells we hang off of it.

Well if it doesn't he's going to the SPCA. I like birds much more than I like cats.

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
Sorry but the cats I train to control rodents do have a taste for birds and squirrels also. The most lovable cats around as long as you don't watch them eat. I am almost garranteed to find at least one tail at the door in the moning as proof of the kill.

Grim was around 4 months old - still fit in the palm of my hand.

Toro

Senate Member
Reminds me of an episode on the radio program The Phil Hendrie Show when Phil pretended to be a guy who wanted to gather up all the cats in the country then parachute them to a remote island because they were killers who were waiting to kill their owners.

"You know when a cat brings a dead mouse and drops it at your feet? That's the cat's way of threatening you. He's saying 'you're next!' "

Indignant cat owners called in furious.

Damn that made me laugh.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Cats Mass Murders

Scott Free - Lovely headline but more along the line of an Enquire type writer – How can a cat be a mass murderer – They are born to hunt -