US Citizenship in Exchange for Military Service

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
According to the NY Times
Quote:

"Stretched thin in Afghanistan and Iraq, the American military will begin recruiting skilled immigrants who are living in this country with temporary visas, offering them the chance to become United States citizens in as little as six months."

Pool of native-born Americans willing to serve drying up?
Americans voting with their feet?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Ah, sorry to break this up, but this is nothing new.....service in the US military has been a fast-track to citizenship for decades, as far as I know.

And that is exactly as it should be, is it not?

If you agree to go into service of the nation, should that not encourage the nation to fully embrace you by offering you full citizenship?

dj03

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2007
Calgary
NY Times

I guess up until now you needed a green card and that they are now opening this up to people with temporary visas who have lived in the US for at least two years.

I know that my dad joined the USAF back in the early sixties, not sure what kind of status he had as my grandparents moved to Washington State after my grandpa retired from his career in...the Canadian Forces. My dad never pursued a citizenship and moved back to Canada after he was discharged.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
It has been that way for years, nothing new. Military service has always been a fast track to citizenship. Should be that way with other countries also. "Citizenship should be earned" Robert A. Heinlein

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Now, I may be wrong, but it seems as though the US Military is becoming like the migrant-worker pool - jobs for foreigners that Americans won't take!

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
It is different in Canada.
From the Armed-Forces Website
Quote:
"To be eligible for consideration for the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following minimal conditions:

be a Canadian citizen;
Citizens of another country who have landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status in Canada may also be considered for enrolment when the CF has need of their skill, when the position cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen, and if the national interest would not be prejudiced. However, only under exceptional circumstances will authority be granted to enrol a citizen of another country.
"

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Now, I may be wrong, but it seems as though the US Military is becoming like the migrant-worker pool - jobs for foreigners that Americans won't take!

I guess the deal would be.... "Here's a rifle, now get out there and kill something. After 6 months, we'll bring you back to pick cotton or clean houses"

Where do I sign up?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Well... Maybe not Yusuf

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Why is it that you think citizenship for military service is something new. Any person from any country has been allowed to join the U.S. Military, even signing up in their native country. The only stipulation was they had to go thru a background check first. If your goal in life is bashing the United States go ahead. Just think, what have you sacrificed for your country in your life.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Why is it that you think citizenship for military service is something new. Any person from any country has been allowed to join the U.S. Military, even signing up in their native country. The only stipulation was they had to go thru a background check first. If your goal in life is bashing the United States go ahead. Just think, what have you sacrificed for your country in your life.

I sacrificed my country.:roll:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If your goal in life is bashing the United States go ahead.

You are going to find out that this is indeed the goal in life for a number of these CanCon members. Not all, but a number of them. They feel insecure about themselves and generally insignificant. To make themselves feel better about themselves they whine about the US 24/7. I have fun with it and you should too.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
You are going to find out that this is indeed the goal in life for a number of these CanCon members. Not all, but a number of them. They feel insecure about themselves and generally insignificant. To make themselves feel better about themselves they whine about the US 24/7. I have fun with it and you should too.

When we get hungry Smack we'll be sending raiding parties south you know, just like in the old days eh. I hope you're keeping your weight up eh. Do you like parsnips?:lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
2003 there were 30,000 - 40,000 "Green Card Soldiers" 6 years later this an issue ?

Active duty
There are approximately 31,000 active-duty military personnel who are legal residents but not U.S. citizens. Branch of service:

Non-U.S. citizens
Percent of total
Navy
4.2%
Marine Corps
3.8%
Army
1.2%
Air Force
0.8%​
Source: Defense Department

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
When we get hungry Smack we'll be sending raiding parties south you know, just like in the old days eh. I hope you're keeping your weight up eh. Do you like parsnips?:lol:

Those raiding parties didn't do to well now did they?