The Atheist movement coming to Canada

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
The Atheist movement is big in Britain, with their billboards on the sides of double decker buses, with the slogan " There probably is no God, so quit worrying and enjoy your life", or something to that effect. It may be making it's way to Canada. Religious groups have challenged them by asking them to prove there is no God, I say, prove there is one. They don't have to prove anything, because they qualified their slogan with the word "Probably". What most people forget is, religion was instituted by Man. I think it's great, if Christians and other religious groups are allowed to spout their propaganda, so are they. Religion has been brainwashing people, since inception, and I think it's about time someone stood up to it. Besides religion is atiquated and unecessary, it's original purpose, was to provide law, order and justice. We have police and the court system for that now. Religion and Faith are differnent, yet one and the same, you can't have religion without faith, but you can have faith, without religion. I personally think the soul purpose of religion, is the aquisition of money and property. There is a reason why the Catholic Chruch is one of the wealthiest organizations on the planet, and they don't pay any taxes. there is a movie, called "The man who sued God". it's a love story at it's heart, but it's funny, some swearing, but demonstrates an interesting view of religion.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I for one welcome our new atheist overlords. :lol:

But seriously, I heard on the radio some religious groups are trying to say these billboards are hate! That has got to be some kind of new logic fallacy, perhaps ad Semitic? :lol: You know, where any criticism is hate.

Oh the delicious irony though that religion feels persecuted. I would try and be sympathetic but I can't stop laughing.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Atheists organizing sound somewhat oxymoronish, don't you think? Kinda like an anarchist party. But I suppose some feel that the religious are persecuting them so they need strength in numbers. I for one don't believe in numbers because it usually leads to hierarchies which is what the anti-religious are all about.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I for one don't believe in numbers because it usually leads to hierarchies which is what the anti-religious are all about.

What does this mean? You don't believe in real numbers i.e. 1,2,3,4, etc, or do you mean something else?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Atheists organizing sound somewhat oxymoronish, don't you think? Kinda like an anarchist party.

Um... I think most atheists support the rule of law they just don't like laws dictated by edict from people who hear voices in their head.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Religious groups have challenged them by asking them to prove there is no God, I say, prove there is one.

Quite right, miniboss, logically it is impossible to prove a negative. So the proposition that God does not exist (or that Santa Claus doesn’t exist or Easter Bunny doesn’t exist) cannot be proven.

Those who claim that God exists; the burden of proof is upon them to prove it.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Atheists organizing sound somewhat oxymoronish, don't you think? Kinda like an anarchist party.

That is non-sensical. They are Atheists, not Anarchists. They don't automatically believe in individual liberty.

Communists are Atheists, they used to be the majority of the world.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The Atheist movement is big in Britain,

Atheism has always been big in Britain. When I lived in Britain, Labour Party had a leader, Michael Foot, who was an Agnostic or an Atheist. However, he was a terrible politician; Mrs. Thatcher literally ate him for lunch. It was just as well that his Atheism was not widely known, he would have given Atheism a bad name.

But the point is, Atheism has always been big in Britain.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Communists are Atheists; they used to be the majority of the world.

Zzarchov, Communists may be Atheists, but Atheists are not Communists, don’t confuse the two. You can be sure that there were plenty of Atheists in the Gulag.

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
Agnostics and Atheists are different. Agnostics believe in a higher power, they just don't pick one specifically. Atheists do not believe in a higher power. They are not Satinists either,(the flipside of Christianity). They believe in a world without religious conetations, and influence, and dictatorship.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
That is non-sensical. They are Atheists, not Anarchists. They don't automatically believe in individual liberty.

Communists are Atheists, they used to be the majority of the world.

Perhaps some of the more brutal among the leadership of the Communist Party of Russia were Atheists but most Russians were religious. many were forced to be part of the party against their will. Besides, Russia or the USSR was communist in name only, like we are a democracy in name only. USSR was a totalitarian regime and Canada is a corporate dictatorship (along with USA and just about every other "democracy" out there.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Perhaps some of the more brutal among the leadership of the Communist Party of Russia were Atheists but most Russians were religious. many were forced to be part of the party against their will. Besides, Russia or the USSR was communist in name only, like we are a democracy in name only. USSR was a totalitarian regime and Canada is a corporate dictatorship (along with USA and just about every other "democracy" out there.

Uh huh, you are missing the point. Where are you getting this notion that Atheists are somehow against order and organization?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Only 20% of Canadians attend weekly religious services (Ipsos-Reid, 2007). Critics of this and similar surveys argue that people lie to pollsters about attendance, and so this figure may well be significantly lower. Similarly, people lie about their belief in a diety or dieties. Agnosticism may very well be the majority opinion in this country.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The Atheist movement is big in Britain, with their billboards on the sides of double decker buses, with the slogan " There probably is no God, so quit worrying and enjoy your life", or something to that effect. It may be making it's way to Canada. Religious groups have challenged them by asking them to prove there is no God, I say, prove there is one. They don't have to prove anything, because they qualified their slogan with the word "Probably". What most people forget is, religion was instituted by Man. I think it's great, if Christians and other religious groups are allowed to spout their propaganda, so are they. Religion has been brainwashing people, since inception, and I think it's about time someone stood up to it. Besides religion is atiquated and unecessary, it's original purpose, was to provide law, order and justice. We have police and the court system for that now. Religion and Faith are differnent, yet one and the same, you can't have religion without faith, but you can have faith, without religion. I personally think the soul purpose of religion, is the aquisition of money and property. There is a reason why the Catholic Chruch is one of the wealthiest organizations on the planet, and they don't pay any taxes. there is a movie, called "The man who sued God". it's a love story at it's heart, but it's funny, some swearing, but demonstrates an interesting view of religion.

I totally agree with your analogy, no need to say more.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Atheism is becoming the new religion

Now that is absurd. How can you have a religion where the only common belief is "there is no god"?
I am sure that atheists, like anybody else, join organizations but an atheist organization or religion is just too nuts. What would they talk about?
"There is no god."
I agree."
"Yup!"
(Long Pause!)

"Service is over."