Israel threatens 'disproportionate' response to Hamas rocket fire

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Israel threatens 'disproportionate' response to Hamas rocket fire

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has threatened a "disproportionate" reaction to Hamas rocket fire aimed at southern Israel.

And what do they call their last reaction?

At least two rockets launched from Gaza struck the south region of Israel on Sunday morning, attacks that came during a ceasefire that ended a 22-day Israeli offensive on militants.

There were no reports of casualties or damage.

"The cabinet's position from the outset was that if there is rocket fire at southerners, there will be a response that will essentially be disproportionate," Olmert said at his weekly cabinet meeting.

Late Sunday, Palestinians said Israeli aircraft fired on an empty police station in central Gaza but no one was hurt. Also, Palestinians said residents near the Egypt-Gaza border received calls after nightfall from the Israeli military advising them to leave ahead of Israeli attacks on smuggling tunnels. The military had no immediate comment.

Ah, so Israel has already been breaking the truce, and now they're using Hamas' reaction to their breaking of the truce to..... break the truce?

Geez people are screwed in the head over there.

Since Israel declared the Jan. 18 truce, Hamas has continued sporadic attacks. In the most serious incident, an Israeli soldier was killed and three fellow soldiers were wounded in a blast near the Kissufim border crossing last Tuesday. Israel responded with air raids and a brief ground incursion by soldiers and tanks.

"We won't return to the rules of the game that terror groups have tried to dictate and we won't be dragged into a never-ending shooting war," the prime minister told cabinet ministers.

No, but when you accept a truce, only to keep attacking and blowing things up you suspect are "smuggling" tunnels or whatever lame excuse, don't expect your enemy to not respond in kind..... friggin hypocritical to the core.

Rules of the game that terror groups dictate? Israel is now calling all the other nations involved in forming up the truce as terror groups? They're the one's who also agreed to this truce as well.... so who are the real terrorists?

Frig that word has lost all meaning it seems these days, it's been used so damn much.

Israel has been chastised internationally for what critics say was its use of disproportionate force during its offensive.

Exactly.... so what the hell do they mean this time about disproportionate? are they planning on dropping some of those nukes they claim they don't have?

The Israeli military carried out the aerial and ground assault, it said, to end rocket fire on southern Israel from Hamas-ruled Gaza.

The three-week campaign killed 1,285 Palestinians, mostly civilians, according to the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights.

Thirteen Israelis, including three civilians, were also killed during the fighting, according to the government.

Well.... looks like it's gonna be a tale of "Here we Go Again."

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
1.) All response should either be disproportionate or not at all. Tit for Tat is just prolonging suffering.

2.) THERE IS NO TRUCE.

Two groups made unilateral ceasefires. There is no agreement between the parties. Either side can "break" their self declared truces for any reason.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I would sure like to know what the anti-Isreali group here would do if their neighbor was randomly tossing grenades into your backyard while saying you have no right to exsist.

Please enlighten me.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I would sure like to know what the anti-Isreali group here would do if their neighbor was randomly tossing grenades into your backyard while saying you have no right to exsist.

Please enlighten me.

Israel is doing the exact same thing, not by words, but through their actions they keep taking against Gaza, via the starving, suffering, killing and gradually pushing them into the sea by taking more and more of their land.

Having this done to you everyday for years on end, you wouldn't retaliate and be a little PO'd?

Or do you expect them to just lie down quietly without complaint as Israel keeps using them as target practice until they wipe them all out so they can take the rest of the land they think is theirs?

Israel is supposed to be the oh-so great democratic, developed, "free" nation over there.... you'd think we would hold them to higher standards by their actions against their neighbors.... but instead, they are continually doing whatever they damn please, internationally illegal or not.... they don't care, because nobody does anything when they do..... and when someone is continually given a green light to commit genocide, killing civilians, using cluster bombs on civilian populated areas, using white phosphorus bombs on civilian populated areas, capturing, detaining and torturing civilians they stick in mud holes in the ground with no shelter, very little food and no place to use the bathroom in dignity....... you expect them to still see the line between justified response and commiting war crimes?

Am I anti-Israel? At present until they change their ways, yes. Am I anti-semitic? No.

But I also certainly see plenty of Israel-Apologists who can't see the end results of their actions they keep supporting.

You don't like Hamas? Fine.... target Hamas, not the civilians.

You think Hamas is hiding amongst civilians? Then use the proper weapons to take them out with as little civilian harm done...... using white phosphorus bombs and cluster bombs are not the weapons to use, unless you simply don't give a crap about civilians.

And when Israel doesn't care about civilians in Gaza, why should Hamas care about civilians in Israel? Remeber, this conflict should be viewed apon the better nation's abilities to deal with the problem accordingly..... which should be Israel..... when they drop their mentality lower then those they claim are terrorists, then you can't expect much better from those they claim are "terrorists."

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Perhaps, this viewpoint is enlightened? A letter to The Guardian.
Quote:

We the undersigned are all of Jewish origin. When we see the dead and bloodied bodies of young children, the cutting off of water, electricity and food, we are reminded of the siege of the Warsaw Ghetto. When Dov Weisglass, an adviser to the Israeli prime minister, Ehud Olmert, talked of putting Gazans "on a diet" and the deputy defence minister, Matan Vilnai, talked about the Palestinians experiencing "a bigger shoah" (holocaust), this reminds us of Governor General Hans Frank in Nazi-occupied Poland, who spoke of "death by hunger".

The real reason for the attack on Gaza is that Israel is only willing to deal with Palestinian quislings. The main crime of Hamas is not terrorism but its refusal to accept becoming a pawn in the hands of the Israeli occupation regime in Palestine.

The decision last month by the EU council to upgrade relations with Israel, without any specific conditions on human rights, has encouraged further Israeli aggression. The time for appeasing Israel is long past. As a first step, Britain must withdraw the British ambassador to Israel and, as with apartheid South Africa, embark on a programme of boycott, divestment and sanctions.
Ben Birnberg, Prof Haim Bresheeth, Deborah Fink, Bella Freud, Tony Greenstein, Abe Hayeem, Prof Adah Kay, Yehudit Keshet, Dr Les Levidow, Prof Yosefa Lo****zky, Prof Moshe Machover, Miriam Margolyes, Prof Jonathan Rosenhead, Seymour Alexander, Ben Birnberg, Martin Birnstingl, Prof. Haim Bresheeth, Ruth Clark, Judith Cravitz, Mike Cushman, Angela Dale, Merav Devere, Greg Dropkin, Angela Eden, Sarah Ferner, Alf Filer, Mark Findlay, Sylvia Finzi, Bella Freud, Tessa van Gelderen, Claire Glasman, Ruth Hall, Adrian Hart, Alain Hertzmann, Abe Hayeem, Rosamene Hayeem, Anna Hellmann, Selma James, Riva Joffe, Yael Kahn, Michael Kalmanovitz, Ros Kane, Prof. Adah Kay, Yehudit Keshet, Mark Krantz, Bernice Laschinger, Pam Laurance, Dr Les Levidow, Prof. Yosefa Lo****zky, Prof. Moshe Machover, Beryl Maizels, Miriam Margolyes, Helen Marks, Martine Miel, Diana Neslen, O Neumann, Susan Pashkoff, Hon. Juliet Peston, Renate Prince, Roland Rance, Sheila Robin, Ossi Ron, Manfred Ropschitz, John Rose, Prof. Jonathan Rosenhead, Leon Rosselson, Michael Sackin, Ian Saville, Amanda Sebestyen, Sam Semoff, Prof. Ludi Simpson, Viv Stein, Inbar Tamari, Ruth Tenne, Norman Traub, Eve Turner, Tirza Waisel, Karl Walinets, Renee Walinets, Stanley Walinets, Philip Ward, Naomi Wimborne-Idrissi, Ruth Williams, Jay Woolrich, Ben Young, Myk Zeitlin, Androulla Zucker, John Zucker

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
And when Israel doesn't care about civilians in Gaza, why should Hamas care about civilians in Israel? Remeber, this conflict should be viewed apon the better nation's abilities to deal with the problem accordingly..... which should be Israel..... when they drop their mentality lower then those they claim are terrorists, then you can't expect much better from those they claim are "terrorists."

Hamas will never care about Israeli civilians, perhaps when Palastinians realize Hamas offers nothing but terror they will vote for moderates who recognize the state of Israel and embrace peace.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The Palestinian response can only be moderate because of the disproportionate distribution of arms between the players. I would arm Palestine with the best weapons available and encourage them to crush the Zionists. It'll save us from doing it. Screw Israel screw Zionists screw bankers screw capitalists.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
The Palestinian response can only be moderate because of the disproportionate distribution of arms between the players. I would arm Palestine with the best weapons available and encourage them to crush the Zionists. It'll save us from doing it. Screw Israel screw Zionists screw bankers screw capitalists.

What an angry little fellow you are.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Hamas will never care about Israeli civilians, perhaps when Palastinians realize Hamas offers nothing but terror they will vote for moderates who recognize the state of Israel and embrace peace.
It would be nice if Israel could be recognized without having to surrender self. Neither one will settle for anything less than the total domination of the other.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Please enlighten me.

If that same nieghbour fenced me in and flew over my house everyday and kept me from leaving my property and regularly shot someone in my family they would be lucky if grenades were all I had. But it's plain that you would invite them in to have thier way with your women and children. You can't be enlightened, that was evident the last time you visited us, you're beyond salvage, you've advanced as far as your exhausted little modual will allow you to go. It's mental entropy for you eh.:lol:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Excellent Idea! Arm the Palestinians of West Bank and Gaza to the teeth! Send them against Israel in waves, all anxious for martyrdom and their 72 virgins!

Best way I can think of to de-populate the West Bank and Gaza........for Jewish settlement and annexation into Israel proper.......

I didn't realize you were a "Black Flag" operative............

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
..um ... Colpy.... If their perceived enemies are armed to a level equal to or better than Isreal, your super-human master race will be just as gone as your bogeyman.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
If that same nieghbour fenced me in and flew over my house everyday and kept me from leaving my property and regularly shot someone in my family they would be lucky if grenades were all I had. But it's plain that you would invite them in to have thier way with your women and children. You can't be enlightened, that was evident the last time you visited us, you're beyond salvage, you've advanced as far as your exhausted little modual will allow you to go. It's mental entropy for you eh.:lol:

So how many Jews practice their religion openly in Gaza and how many Palastinians practice Islam within Israel?

Worms like you are no better than those who stand behind Israel no matter what, interesting, I've been called both an anti-Semite and an anti-Muslim on this site because I dare to be objective.

That's why this nonsense will never end, no one is ever wrong.

Shame isn't it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Perhaps, this viewpoint is enlightened? A letter to The Guardian.
Quote:

We the undersigned are all of Jewish origin. When we see the dead and bloodied bodies of young children, the cutting off of water, electricity and food, we are reminded of the siege of the Warsaw Ghetto. When Dov Weisglass, an adviser to the Israeli prime minister, Ehud Olmert, talked of putting Gazans "on a diet" and the deputy defence minister, Matan Vilnai, talked about the Palestinians experiencing "a bigger shoah" (holocaust), this reminds us of Governor General Hans Frank in Nazi-occupied Poland, who spoke of "death by hunger".

The real reason for the attack on Gaza is that Israel is only willing to deal with Palestinian quislings. The main crime of Hamas is not terrorism but its refusal to accept becoming a pawn in the hands of the Israeli occupation regime in Palestine.

The decision last month by the EU council to upgrade relations with Israel, without any specific conditions on human rights, has encouraged further Israeli aggression. The time for appeasing Israel is long past. As a first step, Britain must withdraw the British ambassador to Israel and, as with apartheid South Africa, embark on a programme of boycott, divestment and sanctions.
Ben Birnberg, Prof Haim Bresheeth, Deborah Fink, Bella Freud, Tony Greenstein, Abe Hayeem, Prof Adah Kay, Yehudit Keshet, Dr Les Levidow, Prof Yosefa Lo****zky, Prof Moshe Machover, Miriam Margolyes, Prof Jonathan Rosenhead, Seymour Alexander, Ben Birnberg, Martin Birnstingl, Prof. Haim Bresheeth, Ruth Clark, Judith Cravitz, Mike Cushman, Angela Dale, Merav Devere, Greg Dropkin, Angela Eden, Sarah Ferner, Alf Filer, Mark Findlay, Sylvia Finzi, Bella Freud, Tessa van Gelderen, Claire Glasman, Ruth Hall, Adrian Hart, Alain Hertzmann, Abe Hayeem, Rosamene Hayeem, Anna Hellmann, Selma James, Riva Joffe, Yael Kahn, Michael Kalmanovitz, Ros Kane, Prof. Adah Kay, Yehudit Keshet, Mark Krantz, Bernice Laschinger, Pam Laurance, Dr Les Levidow, Prof. Yosefa Lo****zky, Prof. Moshe Machover, Beryl Maizels, Miriam Margolyes, Helen Marks, Martine Miel, Diana Neslen, O Neumann, Susan Pashkoff, Hon. Juliet Peston, Renate Prince, Roland Rance, Sheila Robin, Ossi Ron, Manfred Ropschitz, John Rose, Prof. Jonathan Rosenhead, Leon Rosselson, Michael Sackin, Ian Saville, Amanda Sebestyen, Sam Semoff, Prof. Ludi Simpson, Viv Stein, Inbar Tamari, Ruth Tenne, Norman Traub, Eve Turner, Tirza Waisel, Karl Walinets, Renee Walinets, Stanley Walinets, Philip Ward, Naomi Wimborne-Idrissi, Ruth Williams, Jay Woolrich, Ben Young, Myk Zeitlin, Androulla Zucker, John Zucker

Yep.

All whom live peacefully and safely in Great Britain........now, go to Israel.

there used to be a vibrant peace movement there as well as a moderate Labour Party willing to deal with the Palestinians reasonably.

What happened?

Sharon abandoned Gaza, taking NO Gazan territory, in fact forcibly removing all Settlers, leaving Gaza totally in the hands of Palestinians. It was made clear that just such a solution, if successful, would be applied in the West Bank as well.

Gee, what happened?

Gaza became a launching post for attacks on Israel, fell totally under the control of Hamas, the proxy of Iran, an Islamo-fascist terrorist organization that has as it's sole reason for existence the destruction of Israel and the murder of Jews.

The Palestinans once again missed the boat......and they have managed to pull defeat from the Jaws of victory so many times in the last 20 years.....well, the Israeli peace movement, in fact the very existence of moderate voices in Israel, has ceased to exist.

If it is War the Palestinians are determined to have, it is war they will get is now the prevailing attitude among those that actually live within 1000 km of the gunfire..........

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Palestinians should surrender in exchange for Israeli citizenship.

Idealistically, yes. Annex the territories, give everyone full rights of citizenship, Peace Love and Groovy will live ever after.

But unfortunately,
If Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza were allowed Israeli citizenship.....there would be no Israel.

There would only be another Arab, Islamic Looney state, the smart Jews would flee immediately, the others would wind up in the ovens.

that is the reality of it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
..um ... Colpy.... If their perceived enemies are armed to a level equal to or better than Isreal, your super-human master race will be just as gone as your bogeyman.

Well, I'm not so sure about that..........Arab armies have proven extremely ineffective against Israel.

No, I don't think the Jews are a Master Race....I think they have developed extremely good weapons (they improve American-supplied hardware, and won't even let the US in on their secrets), a military culture of extremely experienced and well-trained citizen soldiers that are fighting for the very existence of their nation and their people...........and they do so in ways unusual in other militaries.....for example, IDF officers are more likely to be casualties than their soldiers, because they are trained and expected to lead.......to be first up.

The Arab nations are armed to the teeth, they do outnumber the Israelis by a large factor, they have repeatedly tried to destroy Israel........but the Israelis kick their ass every time. It has been close, especially in 1973, but the Israeli sysyem perseveres.......