Wiarton Willie readies for his annual close-up

Will he see his Shadow..

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
On the lighter side of life.. Please pick one of the choices in the poll and see if you were right...

After being walloped by one of the snowiest and coldest winters on record, weary Ontarians are waiting on a not-so-shadowy sign of respite when Wiarton Willie emerges from his burrow tomorrow.

The groundhog is set to come out in front of a crowd of onlookers just after 8 a.m. But it's anyone's (or any critter's) guess whether Willie will predict more winter weather.

Environment Canada forecasts a mix of sun and snow squalls for Willie's Bruce Peninsula community on the day the famous rodent is set to make his mid-winter debut.

TheStar.com | Ontario | Wiarton Willie readies for his annual close-up

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Years past, on Groundhog Day, parents with children in tow would make their way to the Holy Burrows to praise the Great Groundhog on the Feast of Midwinter - February 2 on the new calendar. Now, I realize that people’s lives are filled with distractions - jobs, family, concerns over the economy - but you would think that at least one day a year, people would take time out of their schedules to acknowledge the faith of their forefathers who built this country!

Of course, there have been great schisms in the One True Religion. There are some who declare there is no Great Groundhog, but a Wonderful Woodchuck or a Marvelous Marmot instead. But, in the spirit of ecumenism, may I point out that a Groundhog, Woodchuck, and Marmot are simply different names for the same Transcendental Species?

As well, worshippers are divided on whether Wiarton or Punxsutawney is the sacred city. But whether you prostrate yourself towards one or the other is irrelevant. After all, it is the worship that matters.

My neighbour, may the Rodent bless him, cuts out small black bristol-board Groundhog shadows and spreads them on the carpet outside his children’s bedroom doors. "Now, there is a man who knows how to keep the day!" (Dickens, A Hogmanay Carol)

May I quote from the Hiber Nation’s Holy Book.
Mon 02:02, “Who knows what evil lurks in the lives of man, the Groundhog’s shadow knows!”

Next year in Wiarton!

Last edited:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Groundhog day is the stupidest thing to waste news media time about. I had to laugh the time a few years ago when the rodent had died and they used a stuffed one!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Groundhog day is the stupidest thing to waste news media time about. I had to laugh the time a few years ago when the rodent had died and they used a stuffed one!
Nah! It's not stupid. It's not real and that's why it's fun. For one day we either mourn the so called longer winter we will have or we rejoice in that it's over. Within hours we have forgotten because we know that whatever happens will happen and we'll have more winter - or not. Depends on where you live and what kind of year we are having. Where I am it has been drizzling all day and right now it looks like it could even have a little snow mixed in and that's what the report said would happen (no prophecy from the groundhog yet). Tomorrow will be a tad warmer and that will continue all week so I guess no shadows will be viewed tomorrow. Doesn't mean snow won't fall next week or the week thereafter but - in the news tomorrow we will be told how Spring has sprung in certain areas and how winter will be another 6 weeks long and that's all okay. It will be a nice break from all the crappy news we hear.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island

Ahh, the Son of the Great Groundhog did not die, but was resurrected on February 5. Ahhh, you of little faith!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Who in their right mind in Canada thinks that 'winter' could ever be over in March?

It doesn't matter how many overgrown rats see the sun or not, winter here lasts till the end of April most years.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Who in their right mind in Canada thinks that 'winter' could ever be over in March?

It doesn't matter how many overgrown rats see the sun or not, winter here lasts till the end of April most years.
You don't live on the West Coast of BC do you? Sorry, but tyr is right. Chances of us seeing much more in the way of winter are about done. It's only a couple of months til' they do the flower(blooms) count in Victoria.:lol::smile:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island

Mid May, where I is! But the whistle pig is cute (and tasty).