Octuplets... women are not meant to have litters

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Grandma: Octuplets mom obsessed with having kids - Yahoo! News

Grandma: Octuplets mom obsessed with having kids

By RAQUEL MARIA DILLON, Associated Press Writer Raquel Maria Dillon, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 18 mins ago
AP – Araceli Castro, right, who identified herself as a nanny, talks to reporters in the morning on Friday, …

LOS ANGELES – The woman who gave birth to octuplets this week conceived all 14 of her children through in vitro fertilization, is not married and has been obsessed with having children since she was a teenager, her mother said.
Angela Suleman told The Associated Press she was not supportive when her daughter, Nadya Suleman, decided to have more embryos implanted last year.
"It can't go on any longer," she said in a phone interview Friday. "She's got six children and no husband. I was brought up the traditional way. I firmly believe in marriage. But she didn't want to get married."
Nadya Suleman, 33, gave birth Monday in nearby Bellflower. She was expected to remain in the hospital for at least a few more days, and her newborns for at least a month.
A spokeswoman at Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center said the babies were doing well and seven were breathing unassisted.
While her daughter recovers, Angela Suleman is taking care of the other six children, ages 2 through 7, at the family home in Whittier, about 15 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.
She said she warned her daughter that when she gets home from the hospital, "I'm going to be gone."
Angela Suleman said her daughter always had trouble conceiving and underwent in vitro fertilization treatments because her fallopian tubes are "plugged up."
There were frozen embryos left over after her previous pregnancies and her daughter didn't want them destroyed, so she decided to have more children.
Her mother and doctors have said the woman was told she had the option to abort some of the embryos and, later, the fetuses. She refused.
Her mother said she does not believe her daughter will have any more children.
"She doesn't have any more (frozen embryos), so it's over now," she said. "It has to be."
Nadya Suleman wanted to have children since she was a teenager, "but luckily she couldn't," her mother said.
"Instead of becoming a kindergarten teacher or something, she started having them, but not the normal way," he mother said.
Her daughter's obsession with children caused Angela Suleman considerable stress, so she sought help from a psychologist, who told her to order her daughter out of the house.
"Maybe she wouldn't have had so many kids then, but she is a grown woman," Angela Suleman said. "I feel responsible and I didn't want to throw her out."
Yolanda Garcia, 49, of Whittier, said she helped care for Nadya Suleman's autistic son three years ago.

"From what I could tell back then, she was pretty happy with herself, saying she liked having kids and she wanted 12 kids in all," Garcia told the Long Beach Press-Telegram.
"She told me that all of her kids were through in vitro, and I said 'Gosh, how can you afford that and go to school at the same time?"' she added. "And she said it's because she got paid for it."
Garcia said she did not ask for details.
Nadya Suleman holds a 2006 degree in child and adolescent development from California State University, Fullerton, and as late as last spring she was studying for a master's degree in counseling, college spokeswoman Paula Selleck told the Press-Telegram.
Her fertility doctor has not been identified. Her mother told the Los Angeles Times all the children came from the same sperm donor but she declined to identify him.
Birth certificates reviewed by The Associated Press identify a David Solomon as the father for the four oldest children. Certificates for the other children were not immediately available.
The news that the octuplets' mother already had six children sparked an ethical debate. Some medical experts were disturbed to hear that she was offered fertility treatment, and troubled by the possibility that she was implanted with so many embryos.
Others worried that she would be overwhelmed trying to raise so many children and would end up relying on public support. The eight babies — six boys and two girls — were delivered by Cesarean section weighing between 1 pound, 8 ounces and 3 pounds, 4 ounces. Forty-six physicians and staff assisted in the deliveries"

This story has been in the news a lot here lately. I find it so disturbing. They are incredibly lucky all of these babies are relatively healthy (I say relatively because you can hardly describe babies who need 10 weeks in a hospital "healthy"). The fact that these were embryos implanted makes the story really sick. What legitimate doctor would put 8 embryos in a healthy young woman?! Women are not meant to produce litters of children. People who do this kind of thing shouldn't be rewarded with lucrative book deals and tv shows. What she and her doctor did was incredibly irresponsible.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Octuplets... women are not mean to have litters

I was wondering how this woman with 14 children under the age of eight years
old supports herself and all of these kids as I was reading the story. It mentions
in the story, in one sentence with no elaboration that she's paid to have them?

Huh? 8O

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Also, didn't these people declare bankruptcy last year? But I suppose they'll get their own TV show to make ends meet.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Octuplets' Mother 'Obsessed with Children', Wanted 'One More Girl'

It's irresponsible for both the physican and the parents. She already has 6 kids (which is about 3 too many) and now she adds eight more to the brood.

Hopefully she will be responsible (financially) for their health care and education - not the state

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I was wondering how this woman with 14 children under the age of eight years
old supports herself and all of these kids as I was reading the story. It mentions
in the story, in one sentence with no elaboration that she's paid to have them?

Huh? 8O

I believe she means the IVF was paid for. If your insurance doesn't cover it, it's very costly (in the $10-30 thousand range). If you're on Medical (our state insurance for people without a good income or job with health insurance), and have a diagnosed reason for your infertility, Medical will pay for it. It's a particular concern at the moment since Medical is cutting back in MANY other areas. Our hospital recently closed 3 units because of budget problems. Medical won't reimburse reasonably for most medical conditions treated in hospitals, but they'll pay for a woman with 6 kids to have another 8.

She could also be talking about her schooling. The state has programs that help with tuition for people on welfare. The family did try to declare bankruptcy a few years ago, but it didn't go through. The grandfather has been working in Iraq as a translator and supports them all apparently.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Hopefully she will be responsible (financially) for their health care and education - not the state

Unlikely. No one who isn't extremely wealthy could pay for the nicu stay these kids will have or the follow up they'll need. I don't have a real problem with that though. I think the state is responsible for education and health care. I do hope she'll at least be able to feed and clothe and shelter them without assistance.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Having children is not a right. Having enough kids to field a football tweam is immoral.

I am not that well versed in "mother'sallowance", but I would like to see that for every family that has more than three kids to be taxed at a graduated rate per kid (i.e $1000/yr for the 4th, $2000/yr for the fifth, etc...). It would certainly cut down on our already overtaxed systems (health care, education, etc)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Not yet, but that may change. Many european countries limit the number of embryos implanted at one time.
Not criminal literally but they should in the least be called in front of a medical board and be required to justify why they should keep their license.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
well, if the economy keeps going down the tubes, which it appears its going to do, at least she has a "food supply" ;-)

hmmmmm........ I need more fat friends.......:lol:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
It sort of makes sense that the human female was not designed for more babies than she has arms or breasts. A litter is just a freak show....
I'll ditto that.
And I'll add that I think it stems from religious doctrine based on Genesis 1:28 (Go forth and multiply).
So far, what's been happening is that we've been reproducing at a faster rate than our ability to produce food for ourselves. Same is true for fresh water. More people = more need for housing, land for growing things, etc. However, people don't seem to give a hoot that we are crapping in our own bed.
There's oo much me-ism and complacency. It's only a small percentage of people that are as concerned about our species as much as their own. A perfect example of the me-sim and complacency is that collection of Wall St. bankers that awarded themselves billions of $ in bonuses. These kinds of of peoples don't care about dick as long as they can loll around in the foodbin they grabbed for themselves like the overfed swine that they are and get fat. Well, fat's benefits are limited.

lol I guess it's my day for speechifying. :D

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
14 kids is not all that unusual people. I mean seriously.

In much of the world having 14 kids is normal. Thats why the rest of the world balloons in population and is always on the verge of starving.

Hell the last generation of Newfoundlanders were that way. My mother in law is one of 13 children, her neighbours had 12 and 16.

That people are "Astounded" by having 14 children is mind boggling, in most of the world that isn't unusual. Complaining she will live on welfare is equally dumb, how many billions in aid do we deliver to nations that are constantly poor for the same reason?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
That people are "Astounded" by having 14 children is mind boggling, in most of the world that isn't unusual. Complaining she will live on welfare is equally dumb, how many billions in aid do we deliver to nations that are constantly poor for the same reason?

The difference here is choice. Please find me a third world woman who CHOSE to have 8 babies AT ONCE after already having 6 (without a husband or a job) and then expected us to pay to keep them alive in a nicu for 10 weeks or so. It's your comparison that's absurd. Women in poorer nations rarely have any meaningful control over their fertility and have to give birth to many children in the hopes that some of them will survive. Whittier isn't the nicest city in California, but it isn't Sierra Leone either.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
The difference here is choice. Please find me a third world woman who CHOSE to have 8 babies AT ONCE after already having 6 (without a husband or a job) and then expected us to pay to keep them alive in a nicu for 10 weeks or so. It's your comparison that's absurd. Women in poorer nations rarely have any meaningful control over their fertility and have to give birth to many children in the hopes that some of them will survive. Whittier isn't the nicest city in California, but it isn't Sierra Leone either.

Actually alot of them have so many children because thats what they want to do, have big families. Its a status symbol. In the same way people will go into debt here for a house and car they can't afford and be on the verge of homelessness for 20 years, people will have ****loads of children in third world countries. Then sell their 9 year old daughters off to 40 year old men for cash. Not everybody, but about the same proportion as people who do terrible things here.

Women are not as powerless as you think in these other nations. Nor do they not want children, they want many children. Hell even in Newfoundland, I've talked to these matriarchs, they want so many children because thats the point of life, to go forth and multiply, to have a big family, they are shocked even now by how this generation lives.