Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Never play the Anthem

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Erik Millett, principal of Belleisle Elementary School, had his decision to stop kids from singing the national anthem each morning hammered by several Conservative MPs in Ottawa on Friday.

N.B. Conservative MPs condemn anthem ban

A decision to ban elementary school students from singing O Canada each morning is "political correctness run wild," says a federal Conservative cabinet minister.

In the House of Commons Friday, Fredericton MP Keith Ashfield, who is minister of state for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, criticized the decision by Belleisle Elementary School principal Erik Millett to prohibit kids from singing the national anthem and urged him to reconsider.

"This is political correctness run wild. Canada is an inclusive country and we take tremendous pride in our national anthem," Ashfield said in question period.

"It is a song that is sung from coast to coast and it unites us as Canadians. Mr. Speaker, this government urges the principal to reverse his decision and bring back O Canada to his school."

Outside the House, Ashfield said he is opposed to a ban on singing of the anthem, saying that the school is a place where Canadians should show pride in the country.

The decision to halt the morning singing of the national anthem was made more than a year ago, but parents only recently began challenging the principal.

Earlier this week, Millett said he wanted to make the school feel more inclusive, noting he had received complaints from some parents. He refused to detail the complaints, citing privacy reasons.

Additionally, he said he wanted to improve the morning flow of students as children arriving late would interrupt the anthem as it was piped into the classrooms over the public address system.

Tory MPs blast principal's decision

Miramichi Conservative MP Tilly Gordon, a former teacher, raised the "disrespectful and ill-informed" decision in question period.

"One of the most important moments of each day was watching my students rise every morning for the singing of O Canada," she said.

"Seeing our future generation show pride in their country means a lot to me. I was very saddened to hear that a principal of a New Brunswick school has banned the signing of O Canada because he apparently believes that it's not inclusiveness enough."

Also in Ottawa, Tobique-Mactaquac Conservative MP Mike Allen blasted Millett's decision, especially on the grounds that he was trying to be inclusive.

"There is nothing more inclusive than O Canada," Allen said.

"It is a song that belongs to each and every Canadian. The singing of O Canada is an expression of our collective pride in being citizens of one of the most prosperous and peaceful nations the world has ever known."

Patriotism going down the drain..... do you feel schools should have the option of playing O Canada, shouldn't play it, or have no choice but to play it?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Gee-zuz.... The PC crowd have been over that tune time and again making sure there was nothing offensive to stir the bitter feelings crowd ... and they're still not satisfied? Screw 'em. Go home!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Are these children not Canadian children being taught in a Canadian school???

Maybe the principal thought it was one step towards conditioning towards being soldiers and obetient to the nation like some evil soviet-era brain washing.

Then again, maybe after working in a school for so many years, the song playing over and over, day after day, year after year, he started to snap and just wanted some silence.

Added:

Oh and if your school is being publically funded and getting help from the government, I think the least one can do is play the damn anthem once a day.... it ain't gonna kill them, unless they got the version with the satanic lyrics playing in the background backwards..... ho ho.... that was a close call. :-?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Maybe the principal thought it was one step towards conditioning towards being soldiers and obetient to the nation like some evil soviet-era brain washing.

Then again, maybe after working in a school for so many years, the song playing over and over, day after day, year after year, he started to snap and just wanted some silence.

Then again, maybe after working in a school for so many years, the song playing over and over, day after day, year after year, he started to snap and just wanted some silence

I'd "snap" if I heard it day after day after day

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
it ain't gonna kill them, unless they got the version with the satanic lyrics playing in the background backwards..... ho ho.... that was a close call.

I think that that version is only sung in Victoria...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My answer is maybe a little harsher than most but I feel very strongly about this. If you can't sing "Oh Canada", you can't stay. That principal should be fired.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Wording is everything.

My kids' school doesn't sing the anthem every morning. But it's not a 'ban' on the anthem, just, they save it for other times, and don't do it EVERY morning. They're not 'stopped' from singing the anthem, they just don't start. So, is this principal really instituting an actual, outright BAN? Is he STOPPING kids from singing the anthem? Do they face punishment if caught? Or has he merely opted not to cut into class time with it? One is arguably worse than the other. Am I the only one who finds the language of the article a bit hysterical?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I think thay Millet should write the whole national anthem 150 times on the blackboard.
Canadian school ---> Canadian anthem. Besides that, if his kids are late, whose fault is it? Parents and/or his (minding that the weather permits).

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Hey you know what, If my parents had to sing it, their parents had to sing it, I had to sing it, and everybody else had to sing it for so many years...... they should suck it up and do it.

Yes it's boring.... yes it's repetitive when you do it day in and day out, year after year, and yes most of the kids, if they even sing it, sing it horribly...... but it's a couple of mins a day.... if you can deal with our winters, deal with the damn anthem!

Fire his ass, arrest him, take him to the town square, torture him, cut his head off, dismember his corpse, send he feet and hands to the four corners of Canada and his head on a pike in front of Parliament for treason to the Queen......

Yeah, Braveheart his ass!

No I'm just kidding, just thinking old skool. :twisted:

Added:

Oh wait, there's no mention of the queen in the anthem..... well.... Harper then.... geterdone! :p

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
This school is one I've been to on occasion, it's about 40 min drive from me.One of my daughters goes to a school (elementary) where they play the anthem at assemblies, but not every day. The other is at a middle school where they play it every morning.I don't care whether they play it or not, but the rationale given by the principal is stupid. Either you, as principal, believe it should be played every day, or you do not.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
This school is one I've been to on occasion, it's about 40 min drive from me.One of my daughters goes to a school (elementary) where they play the anthem at assemblies, but not every day. The other is at a middle school where they play it every morning.I don't care whether they play it or not, but the rationale given by the principal is stupid. Either you, as principal, believe it should be played every day, or you do not.

Indeed, his excuses were lame..... in fact I think a 5 year old made them up for him..... just petty things..... if every other school in the country can get things done without a problem, then what's his?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Not all children had to sing the national anthem when I grew up, and it isn't foreign students, it was Jehovah's witnesses as I recall. Some people don't consider themselves citizens, they just live here and pay taxes. They also don't vote.

The only problem I have here is that that is now the rule not the exception.

Banning people from singing their national anthem? How is that inclusive, it sends a hostile envirnoment to most children (who are Canadian).

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
We have all made stupid decisions. What is redeeming in many instances is the ability to admit one's mistakes and reverse those decisions. People forgive and respect the honesty. Millet has not learnt this simple maxim of management. Rather he has lame-assed to rationalize and justify. That approach simply works you in deeper, then you're doomed.

I love the Canadian anthem. Now admittedly, the anthem could be a little rousier.
Like this:
YouTube - Mireille Mathieu sings La marseillaise
Or this
YouTube - Fall of Berlin with Soviet Anthem
But at least it's not this!
YouTube - God Save The Queen

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
This whole thing is unbelievable. If these people don't want to hear the national anthem, they can go live in a cave in Afganistan....

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
This whole thing is unbelievable. If these people don't want to hear the national anthem, they can go live in a cave in Afganistan....

Which are "these" people?

"We have Baptists and Catholics and Pentecostals and Jehovah's Witnesses and there are many different values and beliefs out there but we are all Canadians."
- School superintendent, Watson commenting on this issue.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Wording is everything.

My kids' school doesn't sing the anthem every morning. But it's not a 'ban' on the anthem, just, they save it for other times, and don't do it EVERY morning. They're not 'stopped' from singing the anthem, they just don't start. So, is this principal really instituting an actual, outright BAN? Is he STOPPING kids from singing the anthem? Do they face punishment if caught? Or has he merely opted not to cut into class time with it? One is arguably worse than the other. Am I the only one who finds the language of the article a bit hysterical?

I saw it on the news last night. It wasn't a ban on daily singing of the anthem, but merely a discontinuation of the practice. They will still sing it for special commemorations. And there is a point to classtime. With school budgets as they are, every tax dollar counts. Those teachers are still being paid to stand there every day to sing the anthem, and this is time taken away from teaching and study time. There are legitimate logistical issues here having nothing to do with any lack of patriotism. Some biter parent just decided to put a negative spin on it to embarrass the school with some misinformation. There was no ban, just a discontinuation. Children would of course be free to sing the anthem till they turn blue in the face during breaks all they want.