Coach fired after leading team to 100-0 victory

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
CTV.ca | Coach fired after leading team to 100-0 victory

The coach of a Texas high school basketball team that beat another team 100-0 was fired Sunday, the same day he sent an e-mail to a newspaper saying he will not apologize "for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honour and integrity."

Kyle Queal, the headmaster for Covenant School, said in The Dallas Morning News online edition that he could not answer if the firing was a direct result of coach Micah Grimes' e-mail disagreeing with administrators who called the blowout "shameful."

Queal did not immediately answer phone messages or e-mail from The Associated Press.

On its website last week, Covenant, a private Christian school, posted a statement regretting the outcome of its Jan. 13 shutout win over Dallas Academy. "It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened. This clearly does not reflect a Christ-like and honourable approach to competition," said the statement, signed by Queal and board chair Todd Doshier.

Grimes, who has been criticized for letting the game get so far out of hand, made it clear in the e-mail Sunday to the newspaper that he does not agree with his school's assessment.

"In response to the statement posted on The Covenant School website, I do not agree with the apology or the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel embarrassed or ashamed," Grimes wrote in the e-mail, according to the newspaper. "We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity."

A phone number for Grimes could not be located by The Associated Press. The Dallas Morning News said Grimes did not respond to their repeated e-mail requests for a telephone interview.

There was no answer at a number listed for Doshier.

A parent who attended the game said Covenant continued to make three-pointers -- even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become one-sided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools, said last week. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas.

The story has received national attention, and the Dallas Academy team has been recognized for refusing to give up during the lopsided contest.

WTF, seriously?

So they actually do a good job, they play the game as it was supposed to be played, and the other team got their ass served on a platter with a 100-0 final score...... and they fire the coach?

Are they completely mental?

"Not Christ-Like?"

Basketball wasn't invented by Jesus Christ..... Jeezus..... if you're not going to play it the way it's supposed to be played, then why create a team?

We're they supposed to simply hand the ball to the other team so they can have some pitty points? Isn't that just as bad??

The coach defended his players and they did what they were supposed to do. Good for him. Maybe some other un-holy schools will want him to be their coach.... then they can come and play against the team he used to coach and make it 200-0.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I'm surprised they don't have a 'mercy rule' there.

While I don't think he should have been fired, I think there are things he could have done differently.

In minor hockey here, when a game is getting out of hand, the coach will often make his best forwards play defence, or not allow the best guys to shoot anymore, they have to pass to someone else, etc.

Sometimes, you team is simply far and beyond the opponent. At this level of play, the coaches are supposed to do things differently.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I get you Prax... but three pointers to the end of the game! You have to let up a little. The opposing team must have been awful. Not one point! Geez.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I'm surprised they don't have a 'mercy rule' there.

While I don't think he should have been fired, I think there are things he could have done differently.

In minor hockey here, when a game is getting out of hand, the coach will often make his best forwards play defence, or not allow the best guys to shoot anymore, they have to pass to someone else, etc.

Sometimes, you team is simply far and beyond the opponent. At this level of play, the coaches are supposed to do things differently.

Yeah the firing was too much. I also think that anyone who sees the score must have known that the other team was absolutly horrible. They could not manage a point...not one!

I would like to see a clip... off to Youtube!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
This is worth viewing... small news clip on the game.

Now see.... they did it to themselves honestly. They haven't won any games yet, they usually have more air balls then what I used to get, and clearly have some piss poor coaching..... to me, it seems that they're just together to have some fun..... so when you put a team who's out there to just have fun, against a team that have been trained to win..... this is what you get.

And somehow it's the Christian team's fault?

They all have learning disabilities? So what? I don't have anything against those girls who are on the team, they seem to be taking it well and seem like they've got some pretty good heads on their shoulders..... they were simply out matched and maybe their coach should have been the one who was fired for putting them up against such a team that was obviously better trained in the first place.

Then again, maybe the coach that was just fired should coach the team his team beat..... makes sense to me.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I think it takes away the sportsmanship in the game. They didn't have to let up but then they didn't have to bury the other girls either. Sports are competitive and so it's the nature of the game to want to win and win by an unmistakable margin so show that your team is the undisputed better team. But above and beyond that, they are also human and should show some compassion for the other team. A beating like that only makes for embarrassment for the other team.
They suck but they try and that should be worth something.

This is why there is a mercy rule in some sports.

Being good and not giving a ****, isn't sportsmanlike.

Consider how they would feel if they won an exhibition game with a pro team. Probably excited and great that they would be on the same court as their heroes and more so that they could play with them.

Now imagine how they would feel if that pro team brought it to them and blew them completely off the court never letting up for a second? I suppose some would be put right off the game.

Sports should encourage kids into active lifestyles while playing in school. Not as a stick to beat them with.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I arm wrestle with my 11 year old daughter. I kick her arse all the time. Once I slammed her so bad I actually broke her arm. It serves her right for being such a stupid f*&%k and taking me on.

:roll:

Reactions: EagleSmack

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I arm wrestle with my 11 year old daughter. I kick her arse all the time. Once I slammed her so bad I actually broke her arm. It serves her right for being such a stupid f*&%k and taking me on.

That cracked me up.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

Makes sense, you should see me playing against someone in a video game..... my brother used to slam the boots to me every single chance he could get and that sorta wore off on me over the years. Besides being absolutely brutal on many of the newer games I play, two games in paticular that I was unstoppable in were Mortak Kombat II and Red Orchestra.

Once I knew all the ins and outs of MK II when I was younger, there was no method of beating me. I'd even avoid blocking or doing certain moves just to give a chance to the other guy but ended up beating their asses in several other ways. It wasn't anymore of a game to me then it was a program with variables for me to match exactly with proper timing.

Eventually people just stopped playing me.... it's not that I wouldn't allow them to beat me, it's just that I only had one way of playing, which was to completely destroy the other person I was against as fast and as stylish as possible.

With Red Orchestra, (A WWII German/Soviet FPS Multiplayer) I figured out how to Iron sight just about every firearm, knew how to time and aim grenades to almost perfection, knew how to angle my tank properly to cause incoming shells to deflect off the angled armour, where to shoot the other tank to hit their ammo and blow them up in one hit, how to listen for footsteps nearby to make sure I wasn't being taken out from behind, etc....... in the end, I was always in the top 3 out of 32 and half the people thought I cheated.

Oh yeah, and Team Fortress Classic..... I killed horribly in that game too, lol.

So why wouldn't I dumb down my abilities against others in those games? Because I spent my free time perfecting my abilities in those games when I had nothing better to do and the only way to improve them even further was to out do my existing abilities.

I was usually never a jerk while playing other people, and I never told people they suck..... in many of the above situations, while I played others, I'd tell them straight out how I did something and teach them the best ways of avoiding getting killed by me or others they may come up against. But then when some just acted like babies, I'd just let them keep getting killed and killed until they got PO'd and left..... some people diserve it, and I imagine sometimes I do as well.

In relation to the situation above, and from Eagle's linked video, it seems like the team that lost had some interest in learning some tricks from the team that devistated them..... that's the right approach in my books.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Makes sense, you should see me playing against someone in a video game.....

I'm not surprised. I've read enough of your posts to determine that winning is more important than learning something.

I understand that there are people out there that believe winning is everything. They shouldn't be coaching kids. At this level, skill development is much more important. The girls on the winning team would have been far better off had the coach told them they were only allowed to dribble with their weak hand. Canadian minor hockey learned that lesson.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
With Red Orchestra, (A WWII German/Soviet FPS Multiplayer) I figured out how to Iron sight just about every firearm, knew how to time and aim grenades to almost perfection, knew how to angle my tank properly to cause incoming shells to deflect off the angled armour, where to shoot the other tank to hit their ammo and blow them up in one hit, how to listen for footsteps nearby to make sure I wasn't being taken out from behind, etc....... in the end, I was always in the top 3 out of 32 and half the people thought I cheated.

How is that game. I picked it up off the shelf a number of times with the intent of buying it but I was not sure how popular it is.

Do you play BF2 at all?

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Clearly, the losing team was far out of their league and should only play other handicapped teams.

I would agree with that if they were physically handicapped, but they only have learning disabilities.

Good for them to keep trying, but you can't condemn the team/s that beat them....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I'm not surprised. I've read enough of your posts to determine that winning is more important than learning something.

No, doing something right is more inportant..... when you say something incorrect, much like the above assumption, then you'll be called on it.

And I've read more then enough of your own posts to come to my own conclusions that you would rather try your hardest to point out someone is wrong, rather then actually seeing if they truly are wrong. In your above post I responded to, I was actually responding to the mentality you were expressing and not trying to screw around with you..... but if that's what you want......

I just explained that I played those games not in the way where winning is everything.... if I lost, so be it, and so what? But just as I play the games, much like how I express my opinions in these forums, If something works or I believe in something, I will stick with it until something better comes along.

My approaches are not about winning, they're about improving..... perhaps a slight difference to some, it's a big difference to me.

I understand that there are people out there that believe winning is everything. They shouldn't be coaching kids. At this level, skill development is much more important. The girls on the winning team would have been far better off had the coach told them they were only allowed to dribble with their weak hand. Canadian minor hockey learned that lesson.

I understand where you're coming from in this approach, but then when you put yourself in the player's situation, it can be difficult to determine how low a game you play... what happens if you play too low to your coaches' expectations and cost the team the game?

For me when playing sports or games or any other contest, I play them to have fun and to better myself or the team, not better other people at my expense. If that means I beat everybody's ass in the process, then that's the way she goes. It's not to better other people, or to win, or loose.... it's to play at the best of your ability.... if these girls who lost played to the best of their abilities, then they win as much as those who got the 100 points.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
How is that game. I picked it up off the shelf a number of times with the intent of buying it but I was not sure how popular it is.

Do you play BF2 at all?

I have BF2, but I don't like how arcady it is.... you basically unload an entire clip on a guy and maybe, just maybe they'll drop.... wtf?

Oh well, it's alright, but I don't play it too often.

Red Orchestra Ostfront is very very impressive. You'd enjoy it. I used to play the mod, Red Orchestra 3.3 for Unreal Tournament all the time.... everyday, it was really addictive. The team who made it won the UT mod awards for best mod, got a crap load of money and were allowed to use the Unreal Engine to make their own standalone game..... once that was done the mod went like the dodo and there's not many playing it.

Very realistic. One shot, usually one kill so long as you don't hit someone in the leg. Every so often if you shoot right you can knock the weapon out of the other person's hands. There are no crosshairs except in the tanks. The tanks are designed very realistically and use sloped armour physics which can save your ass in heated battles. You can shoot from the hip, but it's not all that accurate. You mainly aim down the sights of the modeled weapon and it's pretty accurate. Lot's of team play and real cap zones to take over and defend. Each class has it's own set of weapons and equipment based on historical information, there are no med packs or medics...... every map designed is based on real battles that occured during WWII between the Soviets and Germans, with the real names of the divisions/squads that fought the battle and the weapons given out for each map are custom based on what the troops used in those battles and time frame when each weapon was commonly used, etc.

It doesn't have much for a single player mode, just crappy bots that don't really do a whole lot.... it was geared mainly for multiplayer and you will never get the full experience of the game unless you do play it online..... and it's pretty awsome online with real people in each squad. It is also designed so that you basically need to work at a team in order to beat the other team..... and you can use the mic for easy communication, or activate the text to speech option for listening to what people type, rather then looking down and reading.

In comparison to BF2..... sure BF2 has helicopters, jets and the sort and BF2 has some decent menus and GUI's for co-ordinating the troops..... but RO just kicks it out of the water when it comes to realism, it's tanks, trucks, half-tracks, and simplified command system.

I wish I could find a box of the game here to buy. The only place I can get it is through Steam, and although I have paypal and it claims to accept paypal, it won't give me the game unless I have a credit card, which sucks. If I had a box version to buy, I would have bought it the moment it came out.

I have played a hacked version a while back just to see what it was like (Can't play it online) and it's very much like the old Mod, but a hell of a lot better...... if you have the opportunity to buy it, I'd certainly suggest you do. There is always a pile of people to play online, and last I checked, a bunch of mods are now available for it too.

Ok, sorry for the side track on the topic.......

.... wait a min, this is my thread so what am I talking about? :p

Web: Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
At all of the school level minor sports I have been involved in, there is a 'sportsmanship' rule. This coach (and the players) obvioulsy don't understand it, but then again, they are 'Christians'.Do unto others as you would have them do to you.Which is what the coach got, I guess, so there ya go. A good Christian result. It's not good enough to win, we have to rub your faces in it. Isn't there some line about 'as you have done to the least of my brothers, you have done to me?'

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
This coach (and the players) obvioulsy don't understand it, but then again, they are 'Christians'.Do unto others as you would have them do to you.Which is what the coach got, I guess, so there ya go. A good Christian result. It's not good enough to win, we have to rub your faces in it. Isn't there some line about 'as you have done to the least of my brothers, you have done to me?'

Did you even read the article? The guy was turfed from the school. The Christian school was upset...get it?