Comments from the US about the Cold:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

People endure the cold Wednesday in Brookline, Massachusetts, where the temperature was 20 degrees.

Iowan: Cold hurts, makes 'skin burn' - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Bitter cold weather was sweeping across the nation Thursday, putting the Midwest in a deep freeze.

It was brutal in Ames, Iowa, on Wednesday.

"Last night, the temperature was still above zero (3 degrees Fahrenheit (-16.1 C)), but the wind chill (minus 14 degrees (-25 C)) was cold enough to make your skin burn," iReporter Kevin Cavallin said.

"When it gets this cold, your hands are just in pain when doing something as simple as carrying bags of groceries from the car to the apartment."

Well no sh*t sherlock! That's why someone invented those fancy things called "Gloves"..... They're not just for roberies and murders. :p

In Minneapolis, Minnesota, it felt like 40 below because of the wind chill, CNN meteorologist Rob Marciano said. It was 48 below in Fargo, North Dakota, where unprotected fingers could suffer frostbite in 60 seconds.

The freezing temperatures are likely to remain in the East through the weekend, according to the National Weather Service. There were low teens Thursday along much of the Interstate 95 corridor, which hugs the Atlantic from Maine to Florida.

It was 17 in New York, which had a moderate snowfall Thursday that delayed flights a few hours on the ground at LaGuardia Airport.

"If you live east of the Mississippi River, the temperature at mid-morning may be the best you'll get," Marciano added.

Temperatures dipped to 19 degrees below zero in Michigan and 10 below in Chicago, Illlinois. Snow caused more traffic nightmares in the Midwest.

Snow also was falling in Trenton, New Jersey; New Haven, Connecticut; and other northeast cities.

Meanwhile, an icy cold front was pushing into the Southeast, with a cold high-pressure center expected to remain over the area through Saturday, the National Weather Service said.

Another cold front is to move in late Sunday.

The sun came out in Georgia, but forecasters said the weather would deteriorate by evening. Much of Georgia, including Atlanta, will be under a wind chill advisory from 7 p.m. Thursday to 7 a.m. Friday. Thursday's high in the state could reach 59, but the thermometer could reach as low as 14 at night, the weather service said.

Forecasters said overnight temperatures will be accompanied by bitterly cold wind chills, possibly setting a record.

I posted this moreso because it's not often I hear people in the US complain about it being cold.

Speaking of which, how's that Global Warming coming by the way?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Heck yeah! I b*tch all the time about the cold. I hate it. Especially when my Marine buddy reminds me how warm it is in Miami.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Ha! This morning I watched two chickadees jump start a bluejay. It ain't cold until you have to plug in the huskies.... (-38 - almost the same as it is in real temperature)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I used to live in Wrentham. I really doesn't get that cold there. Sloppy, yes. Cold no

I know the place.

Well compared to where you folks are I could see how you would think it isn't cold here. You folks live in igloos year round true? ;-)

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Massachusetts.

See where that photo is at the top of your OP? Right near there.

Yeah that's North enough, lol.... funny thing is that I'm propped deep into the Atlantic Ocean compared to most of everybody else, and yet it's still not that cold here for some reason.

Still cold, but it's not as cold as what everybody else is getting out west..... wtf is up wit dat?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I know the place.

Well compared to where you folks are I could see how you would think it isn't cold here. You folks live in igloos year round true? ;-)

The guy who called my dad from the states via a wrong number thought that.

It was the middle of August and the phone rang, so he jumped out of the pool and ran in the house to get it, told the guy it was a wrong number, he apologized, and my father responded "no worries, I was just killing time in the pool anyways."

I guess the guy was shocked to hear that anybody in Canada would have a pool, let alone warm enough that you could swim in.

August, yes..... December.... No.

I remember one comedian making fun of the Can/US borders and temperatures, and mentioned something about how people in the US must look at our weather stations and see our temperatures drop like 20-40 degrees as soon as you cross the border and thus, that was how they drew the borders up. They walked a little while and then when they got shot by a blast of artic wind, they said "Brrrr..... this is far enough for us. You guys can have the rest."

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Those cold temps you are hearing about are far more toward you than "us". It is about 6 C. out right now. We had more snow this year then ever before but it's nearly all gone and our temps are supposed to be up all week long. The sun is coming out right now and it's a great day. While it's not for me - I see lots of people here wearing shorts. I did wear my winter coat (although it's not a parka like in the picks above) a few days this year. Generally, a leather coat is just fine for the winter months and a sweater or less for the rest. We would have a really hard time keeping an igloo together here. Most snowmen (when possible) are gone in just a few days or mostly - a few hours. Our lakes don't freeze solid so they can be dangerous to walk on. Tough to cut those igloo blocks :)

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Those cold temps you are hearing about are far more toward you than "us". It is about 6 C. out right now. We had more snow this year then ever before but it's nearly all gone and our temps are supposed to be up all week long. The sun is coming out right now and it's a great day. While it's not for me - I see lots of people here wearing shorts. I did wear my winter coat (although it's not a parka like in the picks above) a few days this year. Generally, a leather coat is just fine for the winter months and a sweater or less for the rest. We would have a really hard time keeping an igloo together here. Most snowmen (when possible) are gone in just a few days or mostly - a few hours. Our lakes don't freeze solid so they can be dangerous to walk on. Tough to cut those igloo blocks :)

he he, I just chizzle off slabs of ice from my deep freezer.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
he he, I just chizzle off slabs of ice from my deep freezer.
Whew! Thanks. I was really worried about what we would do for our next home but you have solved the problem. I'll dash out to the garage and start chiseling right now!:lol:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Most of us Eskimos (not a PC thing to say, but I can't spell Inuit), cut our igloo blocks out of snow!!!:toothy8:. Whatsoever trips yer trigger. One out of ice would last a bit longer, maybe. I'll ask Muqulaquik the shaman.

8O

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You folks live in igloos year round true? ;-)

I remember watching the opening ceremonies of the Calgary Olympics. Peter Jennings (a Canadian) was doing commentary for ABC and when the Mounties road in on their horses, Jennings said (and I'm paraphrasing here)...

The Mounties used to ride horses but they seldom do anymore. Now the have helicopters and snowmobiles.

Thanks Peter.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Most of us Eskimos (not a PC thing to say, but I can't spell Inuit), cut our igloo blocks out of snow!!!:toothy8:. Whatsoever trips yer trigger. One out of ice would last a bit longer, maybe. I'll ask Muqulaquik the shaman.

8O
She came a long, long way from Frobisher Bay
People, doncha know now what I mean
She had the boys all cryin' on the distant early warning line
Old Muk-Tuk Annie could really make the scene :cool:

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It's times like this that I'm so glad I chose California. It's a sunny day, 84 F... I definitely don't miss that cold weather!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
why is it any time someone mentions it being cold, even during winter in a cold place, someone pipes up and whines "i thought it was supposed to be global warming nyernyernyer i'm really clever"?

go and read a book. Start with "spot's favourite colours" and work up to the point where u can tell the difference between weather and climate

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Windchill was -41 F this morning. Didn't feel all that bad.

I hear that Russia is the cause of this cold spell. By shutting down the gas supply that part of the planet got colder while the winds created -41 F in your area and others.