The ugly truth about the Scots and our shameful anti-English bigotry

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I've just found this article in a Scottish newspaper about the recent, sickening anti-English attack on a young girl in Scotland, which helps to blow apart the worldwide perception of the Scots as brave heroes and the English as uncaring bad guys.

The Scots, it seems, have a problem of bigotry...

JOHN MACLEOD: The ugly truth about the Scots and our shameful anti-English bigotry

By John Macleod, SCOTTISH DAILY MAIL
14th January 2009

The romantic, Hollywood version of Scotland could not be any further from the truth

Early on Friday morning, Lucy Newman - a 22-year old beauty therapist - was wending her way down Union Street in central Aberdeen, heading with a friend to catch a bus home.

Chatting, they passed two men; and Lucy was suddenly startled by a roar - 'Get back to ******* England - English *******.'

She whipped round to stare, and it was then he hit her - not a slap, but a full-blown, hate-fuelled haymaker of a punch that sent her sprawling on the road.

The thug walked calmly away. Lucy was taken to hospital with two black eyes, a broken cheekbone and nerves severed behind her eye. She was so battered and bloody her mother, dashing in horror to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, found her unrecognisable: doctors think she may need facial reconstructive surgery.

Lucy Newman, who was punched in the face by a stranger during an alleged anti-English attack, may need reconstructive surgery

Lucy Newman was not drunk. She was not provocative. She had not engaged anyone in argument. She was just walking - and, for an overheard snatch of conversation in the wrong voice, was almost casually smashed to the ground.

Ironically, she isn't even very English. Born in Cheltenham, Lucy's parents came to live in Scotland when she was four and - save in relaxed, convivial circumstances - she has largely lost her original accent.

Yet, supposing she had been striding through the city centre in twin-set and pearls, braying away in the loud majesty of Margaret Thatcher about - oh, Aga recipes. Supposing she had been a tall fair young man in Barbour jacket and green wellies, his tones no less Anglo-Saxon.

No one deserves to be sworn at, or insulted on the street, and nothing save desperate self-defence can justify such assault.

Sadly, the odds of Lucy Newman's attacker ever being identified far less convicted, are remote. And - worse - this is no isolated incident. Indeed, Aberdeen - restless, bustling, oil-rich, with thousands of men from all over Scotland milling about on their way to or from the North Sea - has rather a reputation for this sort of thing.

Reports of racist incidents in the city are rising at a rate of about 5 per cent a year - mostly abuse of Africans, Asians and Eastern Europeans. But in rural Aberdeenshire there is, according to a grim official, significant 'anti-English feeling'.

Last year there were 429 racially aggravated incidents in the Granite City - 25 of them against English people. There were only 122 in the wider county, but 29 victims were English.

2006 - with the World Cup and all its attendant, boorish emotion - was an especially bad year. Early in July a 29-year-old man was beaten up by a gang for the enormous crime of wearing an England polo-shirt.

Not a fortnight earlier a retired, disabled postman was hauled from his car and hammered; he, too, had sported an England top. So, too did seven-year old Hugo Clapshaw, out with his Dad in an Edinburgh park. A young man ran up, whacked him on the head and hit and taunted his father, sneering that the child should be wearing a Scotland shirt.

It's easy to shudder and to turn the page, to distance ourselves from such goings-on, to take consolation in our own disinterest in the vulgarities of Association football and refusal ever to resort to physical violence.

But there is much wider, softer, even smiling anti-English prejudice about in the new Scotland and, indeed as great, shared national experiences like the Second World War recede further from public consciousness the phenomenon is growing.

It is occasionally fuelled by irresponsible politicians. The Scottish National Party has happily moved on from the Dark Ages of the 1980s, when no blistering conference speech was complete without a jibe at the enormities of an 'English Tory government'.

But there is little doubt that the antics of that ocean-going balloon, Jack McConnell, in 2006 did significant damage. The First Minister noisily refused to support England in the World Cup when a smarter man would have refused to make any comment whatsoever on a matter of such ineffable unimportance. This fed into an unfortunate narrative eagerly reported by the London press.

Andy Murray's Wimbledon outing was clouded by fatuous 'anybody but England' comments on his website. Some Glasgow bars advertised a free drink for every goal Beckham and chums managed to concede in a match.

Scottish sports shops quickly ran out of Trinidad and Tobago strips (an early English opponent) and one shop near Dundee even offered a free golf ball to any customer who appeared in one.

Sixty chartered surveyors from England promptly cancelled a two-day Scottish conference after McConnell's whining and in yet another outbreak of hooliganism three bedroom windows were smashed at a Coatbridge house because the occupier had the temerity to display the England flag.

Now one could hedge and qualify. Drunken weekend assaults on entire strangers are tragically common and, considering that around 10 per cent of our population is English-born, the proportion of reported attacks is actually very low.

But then I remember a colleague who, accompanying his expectant wife for an antenatal scan, was genuinely disturbed when the midwive said coolly, 'Poor wee thing - and her Daddy's English too.'

Or, indeed, how I felt myself when a ghastly man in tartan trews wagged a finger in my face at the Scottish Press Awards and chuckled, 'Watch the whisky! We've all heard about Highlanders.'

Or, much more gravely, the Edinburgh schoolboy who was quietly murdered, in a most respectable suburb, around a decade ago by young louts who heard his middle-class tones and assumed he was English. He was not, in fact, English, but he is no less dead.

This, truly, is Scotland's shame - a prejudice much more widespread, insidious and dangerous than our averred Protestant bigotry - and, ironically, it seems to have grown steadily worse under devolution, when we have less grounds for resentment than ever.

It is facile, besides, to blame it on recent political history, such as the long Conservative government of Thatcher and Major whose touch on Scottish affairs was at times woeful, or the supposed colonial arrogance of many English incomers.

But the real problem is the infantile Scottish male culture, fueled by an irresponsible booze and leisure industry and which somehow mirrors our weird immaturity as a country.

Our little land itself seems stuck in a resentful adolescence. There is in fact no good reason why we could not take charge of our own affairs. Scotland is one of the richest nations in the world, replete with natural resources, some significant industries and a great deal of human talent.

But it is much more fun to stay in the Union, whine and moan, and blame the English for everything. And, just to complicate matters still further, the very emblems of that Union - for which a strong case can yet be made - are themselves increasingly distrusted by other neuroses.

In 2003 Glasgow City Council declared neither the Union Flag nor the National Anthem would feature in the new-style citizenship ceremonies as, bleated one of the city fathers, these are 'symbols of sectarianism'.

Against such witlessness, it is difficult to credit Margo MacDonald's hopeful assertion that our country will only, truly grow up when England lift the World Cup and we say, 'So what?'

And our best analysis avails nothing for a young woman near Inverbervie who, last weekend, was maimed for life – and all for a few vowels.

dailymail.co.uk

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
So you're going to stoop to the level of these select few people, and then generalize the entire population based on the actions of a few?

Tit for Tat I suppose, but it certainly doesn't make either side shine above the other.

I am in no way defending any of these violent actions against the innocent based on if they were british or not...... but it's still not all that suprising there would be some age-old hatred between Scotland and England..... I mean, look at the history between the two.

I mean, I'm way over here in New Scotland and I still get a bit PO'd over some of the things that have been done to the Scots by the British (Like every other place oppressed by the Brits during the Empire days) But I ain't about to go beating anybody up over it..... that time has long since passed..... all those who were guilty of those actions are long dead.

Time to move on.

But I don't see logic in trying to label all the scots over the actions of a small % of the population, just as you'd find it offensive if people generalized you guys from the actions of a small % of your population.

Added:

Then again, another reason why I may not care all that much, might be because I am not over there in the midst of it all and do not have a first hand experience to go by..... I have no idea what parenting or community/social values bring to the table of this problem or what would currently make those over there hate the Brits, other then what has already been done in the past.

If what's occuring in the Middle East can be a sign of anything, it's that old blood and hatred can last for a long time.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
This is going on all over the world...Right now in Russia there are gangs of youth who roam the street looking for foreigners to beat up and kill.

Happens in Poland to. There is still a HUGE neo nazi movement in Germany...

It's actually incredibly frightening what can happen if you are not carefull in countries you think you should be safe in.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
This is going on all over the world...Right now in Russia there are gangs of youth who roam the street looking for foreigners to beat up and kill.

Happens in Poland to. There is still a HUGE neo nazi movement in Germany...

It's actually incredibly frightening what can happen if you are not carefull in countries you think you should be safe in.

And in another year or two, I'll be living in Australia.... I wonder what possible hate-on they have for us Canadians?

If there is any, it'll be an insteresting scrap.... accents and beer flying everywhere.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
And in another year or two, I'll be living in Australia.... I wonder what possible hate-on they have for us Canadians?

If there is any, it'll be an insteresting scrap.... accents and beer flying everywhere.

[SIZE=+0]Prax....I had a buddy that spent six months over there a couple of years back (bartending).[/SIZE]
The Ladies just loved his accent (that he didn't know he had!), so an issue might be that the
Guys don't like that the Ladies just love your accent. It'll just be a cross you'll have to bare.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
As I have posted before I am a Canadian that spends a lot of time in Europe.

I am in Scotland right now and spend a fair bit of time in Aberdeen.

Downtown Aberdeen after dark is a fairly rough place, some say it does not quite live up to the reputation of downtown Glasgow but make no mistake it's no picnic later at night.
I go for beers on Union street fairly often (last week) and for some unknown reason there seems to be a lot of "binge drinking" in the pubs and clubs of Union street.
And when I say binge drinking I mean people get completely and utterly blasted.
I have no idea why, it seems to be a UK/Scottish thing.
I have never seen anything quite like it in Canada and that included my pub crawls
in Dartmouth, TO and the old Electric avenue in Cowtown.

Later at night walking down Douglas or Union you are pretty much guaranteed to get a few offers "for a wee scrap".

It can be a rough place.

Trex

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Australia resembles the Scottish Happy Hour mentality, when it come to Happy hour if the wrong thing is said man the broll is on and it will be a good move to wear a hamlet in order to protect the head from the blows.
I don’t understand how violence after some drinks people mistake it as the divine place.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Alcohol keeps the mind from knowing whether a person is friend or foe.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yeah when are they going to put warning labels on booze so that people know to watch out like they do for smokes? :p

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Yeah when are they going to put warning labels on booze so that people know to watch out like they do for smokes? :p

Good day Unforgiven, ti would be hilarious to see a label outside the box of a 24 pack, CAUTION IF YOU DRINK A 24 PACK ALONE YOU WILL TURN INTO A CAVE MAN, (like the Coccony Monster) AND IF YOU GET OUT OF HAND YOU WILL BE ZAPPED BY A TAZER GUN, BY A DRUNK COP. Oh it is so crazy some times..:smile:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
[SIZE=+0]Prax....I had a buddy that spent six months over there a couple of years back (bartending).[/SIZE]
The Ladies just loved his accent (that he didn't know he had!), so an issue might be that the
Guys don't like that the Ladies just love your accent. It'll just be a cross you'll have to bare.

Yeah, from what I've gathered from my GF and what I've learned over the years about Australia, is that Canada and Australia are more alike then most would normally think.

• We both have extreme temperatures
• We both have areas of our country that are not all that great for living.
• Most of our populations are built up around the edges of the country, mostly the southren areas of our nations.
• We're both part of the Commonwealth and used to be under British Rule.
• Australia was originally a penal colony, while Canada was labour colony, where both were sent the undesirables
• Both are known for drinking a lot...... kinda like the Irish (Perhaps the Brits have that effect on people that drives them to drink.)
• Both are made fun of by other nations around the world.
• Both have screwed up animals like the Beaver, Moose, Kangaroo, Koala Bear, etc.
• Our militaries have been the brunt of jokes for decades.
• Both have natives placed at a disadvantage (Not a good thing)
• Both have populations not commonly known as being the most "Refined" of society. :p

And as it goes for accents, I can sorta understand the Australian one, but Canadians sound slow and monotone..... no wonder why people think we're apathetic..... how girls dig that, I dunno.

But the first thing I plan on doing when I get there is to talk for a few weeks with a totally different accent then my normal one..... then suddenly talk my normal way just to screw with everybody.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
As I have posted before I am a Canadian that spends a lot of time in Europe.

I am in Scotland right now and spend a fair bit of time in Aberdeen.

Downtown Aberdeen after dark is a fairly rough place, some say it does not quite live up to the reputation of downtown Glasgow but make no mistake it's no picnic later at night.
I go for beers on Union street fairly often (last week) and for some unknown reason there seems to be a lot of "binge drinking" in the pubs and clubs of Union street.
And when I say binge drinking I mean people get completely and utterly blasted.
I have no idea why, it seems to be a UK/Scottish thing.
I have never seen anything quite like it in Canada and that included my pub crawls
in Dartmouth, TO and the old Electric avenue in Cowtown.

Later at night walking down Douglas or Union you are pretty much guaranteed to get a few offers "for a wee scrap".

It can be a rough place.

Trex

The University Pub Crawls that go around Halifax/Dartmouth?

I've been on one of those a few years back..... I went with the students from Mount Saint Vincent University...... which has a 90% female population or greater. It was interesting, but I don't remember getting smashed.

I think the difference between the UK and Canada when it comes to drinking a lot, is that in the UK if you passout, you wake up the next morning, perhaps robbed, but usually alive.

In Canada..... you pass out, the elements will probably kill you before the sun comes up..... so theres a bit of preperation in the backs of our minds in most cases..... where am I going, how will I get there, who will I be with, how do I get back home, etc.?

If you don't figure that stuff out beforehand, you could be left out on a bridge in the middle of Feb. with all your money and clothes taken, with your penis stuck to the railing.

Don't you laugh and think it couldn't happen..... cuz it very well can, mark my words.

Once apon a time, my dad went out to a bachelor party with his friends in the local RCMP branch. One of the guys was getting married, so they got him all drunk and made sure he had a good time. Then when he was borderline passing out, they threw him in the back of the squad car and drove him to the bridge in New Glasgow, somehow stripped him of all his clothes and handcuffed him to the railing of the bridge...... all the while having two squad cars surrounding him with the lights going and sirens screaming off in the night.

And as he staggered there yelling and screaming about how he's gonna beat all their asses once he gets out of the cuffs, people were driving by honking their horns and laughing........

...... so be warned..... don't get too drunk in Canada..... you might not get into a fight, but of all the other things that can happen to you, a fight might be a better idea.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Blackleaf,

First, I condemn the attack on the girl.

Second, was it not true that England invaded Scotland in 1296, 1680, and throughout the centuries?

What gave the British the right to invade the Scots?