IVF Healthcare funding?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Actually I am against it for various reasons..

I have know people who went thru this procedure and after all the money spent, finally gave up and low and behold got pregnant "naturally".

You can alway adopt children who really need families..

If adoption is too long a process you can apply for being a foster parent.. And yes there are newborns that are put into foster care.

They money can better be used for services above..

In-vitro does not guarantee a birth and the fact they want to allow 3 tries is fact it is unreliable and still not the best option.

If people want to take this option they can still proceed at their cost.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'd vote against. IVF is not a crucial life or death issue. And when we consider that we've got more serious issues to deal with like homelessness, etc. IVF pales in comparison. Once we've dealt with all the more crucial issues and eliminate extreme poverty, then I'll consider (I stress 'consider') funding for such luxuries.

Besides, would it not be cheaper to just have fewer abortions? After all, abortions cost money, and so does IVF. Kills 2 birds with one stone. We save money on abortions and IVF with similar results. They can adopt kids.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I read European study written a few years ago that concluded in their opinion that funding IVF would in the long run save money, and that on average, by the time an IVF born person turned, I believe 33, they would not only have paid back the burden they would be a net profit via income taxes and consumer. Also, funding could weed out the sextuplet situations, which cost more to healthcare than just about anything. Women who have 5 or 6 kid deliveries are those who take fertility drugs because they can't afford IVF. The super ovulation stuff is less controlled and thus once in a while a mega-multi pregnancy appears from it. Super ovulation fertility drugs also means more selective reduction procedures, aka abortion. IVF has a high number of multiples as well, but if people didn't have to roll the dice with their cash then perhaps they wouldn't use as many embryos per cycle, thus less multiple pregnancies and saving money for the healthcare system.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Last I checked, healthcare wasn't only for life-saving procedures. A woman can have an abortion free-of-charge without it being an essential service. How about anti-biotics given to outpatients with the rhinovirus?

I'd lean towards yes, with limitations such as the prudence in the Quebec proposal. Like Kreskin mentioned, there are benefits to this kind of investment.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I agree, we do technically have a shrinking population and our retirement plan is a pyramid scheme based upon a growing population (And yes I think thats a stupid idea)

While I don't think we should have a growing population, we just can't keep bringing in more and more immigrants to solve our population problems. If nothing else they don't tend to move where we need them (simply because the area is a ****hole, thats why no one wants to be there now and why they need people to reinvigorate)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
True Paul. Most provinces pay for gender reassignment surgeries too.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Last I checked, healthcare wasn't only for life-saving procedures. A woman can have an abortion free-of-charge without it being an essential service. How about anti-biotics given to outpatients with the rhinovirus?

I'd lean towards yes, with limitations such as the prudence in the Quebec proposal. Like Kreskin mentioned, there are benefits to this kind of investment.

But adoption or fostering of Canadian kids should come first as we can use Medicare money to keep our other children healthy that require this cash. Way too many kids do not have families and become burdens of society that could use a good home..

I am not in favour of free abortion either and if you have a self inflicted problem you should pay.

The issue with in-vitro is that it is far from anymore successful then normal pregnancy.

Once again the Government is getting involved in making babies...

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
But adoption or fostering of Canadian kids should come first as we can use Medicare money to keep our other children healthy that require this cash.

I didn't read that it was an either or situation.

The issue with in-vitro is that it is far from anymore successful then normal pregnancy.

That's not at all the issue. The issue is that is provides a better chance for couples with reproductive difficulties to have a successful pregnancy. It's not people without problems conceiving that are getting IVF procedures you know.

Right. Is this a problem?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
But adoption or fostering of Canadian kids should come first as we can use Medicare money to keep our other children healthy that require this cash. Way too many kids do not have families and become burdens of society that could use a good home..

I am not in favour of free abortion either and if you have a self inflicted problem you should pay.

Adoption is not as easy as you make it sound and foster care is not the same thing as adopting kids. Its babysitting some terrible parents kids, growing attached to them and then giving them back for that terrible parent to scar the child some more. Not everyone can handle that, nor should they have to.

The right to breed is a pretty fundemental human goal, while I do not think its wise to indulge, it is the number one thing most people care about, above their own lives, lets not be foolish enough to pretend its more important to most people to keep an 80 year old alive another 2 weeks unconcious than it is to give people the ability to procreate.

Reactions: Kreskin

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Actually I am against it for various reasons..

I have know people who went thru this procedure and after all the money spent, finally gave up and low and behold got pregnant "naturally".

You can alway adopt children who really need families..

If adoption is too long a process you can apply for being a foster parent.. And yes there are newborns that are put into foster care.

They money can better be used for services above..

In-vitro does not guarantee a birth and the fact they want to allow 3 tries is fact it is unreliable and still not the best option.

If people want to take this option they can still proceed at their cost.

I venture to say that you know diddly squat about adoption, IVF, or foster parenting, based on your post.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Since our medical system is happy to fund cancer treatments for smokers, and surgery for obese people, both conditions being voluntary, I don't see why it can't fund IVF treatments, which looks after an involuntary condition.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Adoption is not as easy as you make it sound and foster care is not the same thing as adopting kids. Its babysitting some terrible parents kids, growing attached to them and then giving them back for that terrible parent to scar the child some more. Not everyone can handle that, nor should they have to.

ZZ Adoption is only an option and so is fostering and many find it rewarding.. Not everyone finds it as "babysitting some terrible parents kids".. Perhaps you can look at a glass of water half empty or half full, your choice..

The right to breed is a pretty fundemental human goal, while I do not think its wise to indulge, it is the number one thing most people care about, above their own lives, lets not be foolish enough to pretend its more important to most people to keep an 80 year old alive another 2 weeks unconcious than it is to give people the ability to procreate.

Yes everyone has the right to procreate and I don't refuse them that right.. Indulge in it as much as you want, unlike others in the Abortion thread that believe you should limits children to 2.3 per family I think there should be no limit.. However is it ok for Government to advocate money to people to get pregant via IVF when there are other methods available. And when do we stop funding all these programs ?

Although in vitro fertilization (IVF) may have achieved popular notoriety, it is certainly not the only option, nor is it necessarily always the best option for treating infertility. Other treatments including timed intercourse, ovarian stimulation, and artificial insemination, are important alternatives to IVF. It is important to appreciate the relative contribution of these alternatives in helping the couple achieve a pregnancy. In our department, IVF or intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) is responsible for only about 20% of pregnancies among infertile couples. This means that in most cases, pregnancies are obtained through non-IVF therapies. It is interesting to note that more than 20% of all pregnancies are spontaneous, achieved during the course of infertility investigations.

Alternative, non-IVF therapies

So again why stop at one treatment and why should Governemnt pay for these treatments when ordinary fertile people cannot even afford to have more then 1 or 2 kids ?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Alternative, non-IVF therapies

So again why stop at one treatment and why should Governemnt pay for these treatments when ordinary fertile people cannot even afford to have more then 1 or 2 kids ?
The link is to very old information. It references stuff in the early and mid 90's. The field has moved light years ahead since then, in both disgnostics and treatment.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
The link is to very old information. It references stuff in the early and mid 90's. The field has moved light years ahead since then, in both disgnostics and treatment.

Geeeez your a tough crowd.. he he he

The Page was Updated at the bottom "Edited by Aldo Campana, September 4, 2008"

For a Course

Training Course in Reproductive Health/Sexual Health Research - Geneva 2008 - Course files

Not good enough ??

The information is still valid.. Might be older research but it still does not make it invalid if nothing else can rightfully counter argue it..

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
For example, the treatment for male factor infertility in IVF is now intracytoplasmic sperm injection. It is not mentioned at all in that article. The procedure wasn't available back then.