Castro says Cuba revolution faces years of struggle

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Castro didn't say anything. he's been dead for 3 years.
Castro says Cuba revolution faces years of struggle

By Jeff Franks
SANTIAGO DE CUBA, Cuba (Reuters) - Cuba's revolution is stronger than ever but faces "incessant struggle" against the threat of the United States, President Raul Castro said on Thursday in a ceremony marking the 50th anniversary of the uprising that its leader, Fidel Castro, was too ill to attend.
Raul Castro spoke proudly of the 1959 revolution that transformed the Caribbean island into a communist state 90 miles from U.S. shores, but he warned the country must not let down its guard.
"The enemy will never cease to be aggressive, treacherous and dominant," he said. "It is time to reflect on the future, on the next 50 years when we shall continue to struggle incessantly ... I'm not trying to scare anyone, this is the truth."
The revolution's landmark anniversary comes at a time when the era of Fidel Castro, now 82 and in poor health, is winding down and uncertainty hangs over the future of the Cuba he built into an improbable world player admired for its social gains but criticized for its human rights record.
Raul Castro, who replaced his older brother as president in February, spoke from below the same balcony in the eastern city of Santiago de Cuba where Fidel Castro declared victory after U.S.-backed dictator Fulgencio Batista fled Cuba on January 1, 1959.
About 3,000 people looked on in the tree-shaded square where 50 years before Fidel Castro told jubilant supporters he would not lead the new revolutionary government.
"Personally, I am not interested in power nor do I envisage assuming it at any time," he said, before ruling Cuba for 49 years.
Raul Castro, 77, praised his brother as "indispensable" and quoted passages from several past speeches.

Continued here: Castro says Cuba revolution faces years of struggle | Reuters

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Castro didn't say anything. he's been dead for 3 years.

Continued here: Castro says Cuba revolution faces years of struggle | Reuters

Well I am not sure if he is "dead" but I can admit Fidel Castro has had no Power.. As for Raul Castro he is certainly not dead.. His Powers however are not as those of his brother. He is not the leader Fidel was and never will be by his own admittance.

I guess the big question mark is not so much on the Cuban side but rather the US side to see how Obama will deal with the new leaders in Cuba.. It will surely make for an interesting next 4 years..

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Well I am not sure if he is "dead" but I can admit Fidel Castro has had no Power.. As for Raul Castro he is certainly not dead.. His Powers however are not as those of his brother. He is not the leader Fidel was and never will be by his own admittance.

I guess the big question mark is not so much on the Cuban side but rather the US side to see how Obama will deal with the new leaders in Cuba.. It will surely make for an interesting next 4 years..

What will Cuba do in exchange for these dealings? Obama has offered up some scraps, mere chump change in the bigger picture, though.

If Cuba expects larger scale restrictions to be lifted, they should plan on lifting large scale restrictions on their people.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
What will Cuba do in exchange for these dealings? Obama has offered up some scraps, mere chump change in the bigger picture, though.

If Cuba expects larger scale restrictions to be lifted, they should plan on lifting large scale restrictions on their people.

Fidel Castro did one good thing and could see money in Medical training for Cuba... He was ahead of his time in getting a Medical FREE system up and running for Students in his country.. Now Americans want to use that schooling to their advantage. But from what I have heard many Cubans have already graduated from that school and can easily pass any US / Canada Medical test to become doctors in a North American continent that badly requires them.

HAVANA (AP) — Eight Americans who graduated from a Cuban medical school say they will put the education paid for by Fidel Castro's communist government to use in hospitals back home.

Four New Yorkers, three Californians and a Minnesotan, all from minority backgrounds, have studied in Havana since April 2001, forming the first class of American graduates from the Latin American School of Medicine.

One other American previously graduated from the school after transferring from a U.S. university, but the six women and two men graduating Tuesday were the first Americans to complete the entire six-year program since Castro offered the free medical training to U.S. students. The offer followed a meeting a delegation from the U.S. Congressional Black Caucus.

The students said that much of what they learned in Cuba matched the curriculum at American medical schools, but that instructors here placed a special emphasis on preventative care.

"I will be heading back to the United States with a great advantage over the American students who have stayed there," said Wing Wu, from Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Eight Americans graduate from free Cuban medical school - USATODAY.com

Think of it as a the next Brain Drain from Cuba to our countries for our Natural Resources and supplies..

Obama also wants to expand Health Care and could look upon Cuba, Canada and US mix as a happy mix to make it happen.

We all know the US will never have full social type health care but one that could use cheap Cuban doctors to start would be a great Obama selling point. Cuma wins by removing embargo or at minimum a start to removing some of it..

Of course if all that fails they can always get Clinton more Cuban Cigars :lol:

Toro

Senate Member
I was listening to a program on Cuba on BBC Radio yesterday. The average income per capita is $15 per month, though housing is basically free. However, that's too low for such an educated population

In 20 years, Cuba will be a happily free and much richer capitalistic country.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Fidel Castro did one good thing and could see money in Medical training for Cuba... He was ahead of his time in getting a Medical FREE system up and running for Students in his country.. Now Americans want to use that schooling to their advantage. But from what I have heard many Cubans have already graduated from that school and can easily pass any US / Canada Medical test to become doctors in a North American continent that badly requires them.

Apparently there is an overabundance of Cuban doctors, in Cuba - the ratio of doctors to population is the highest in the world. In matters of health, life expectancy and addressing non-medical detriments, they are right up there with the 'developed' world.

We all know the US will never have full social type health care but one that could use cheap Cuban doctors to start would be a great Obama selling point.
LOL. Cheap Cuban doctors.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Apparently there is an overabundance of Cuban doctors, in Cuba - the ratio of doctors to population is the highest in the world. In matters of health, life expectancy and addressing non-medical detriments, they are right up there with the 'developed' world.

Didn't I say that is different words ?

LOL. Cheap Cuban doctors.

Yup, cheap Cuban doctor.. Schooling and training is already done.. Most of them will have no debt and will probably work in medical clinics at much reduced salaries. If you put a required 5 year mandatory "public service" and offer them citizenship they will come in droves..

Toro

Senate Member
Yup, cheap Cuban doctor.. Schooling and training is already done.. Most of them will have no debt and will probably work in medical clinics at much reduced salaries. If you put a required 5 year mandatory "public service" and offer them citizenship they will come in droves..

I've heard of tourists going to Cuban clinics and leaving them aspirin because they were so short of supplies.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I've heard similar stories. Still, the numbers contradict theorys about health in realtion to wealth of nations. I still hate Castro, though.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I've heard similar stories. Still, the numbers contradict theorys about health in realtion to wealth of nations. I still hate Castro, though.

I remember my brother visiting Cuba and taking clothes and extra medication to hand to the people when he was there.. After he returned he said most of the people were ungrateful and he would never return to Cuba. However you have never met my brother 8O

That said you can hate a man like Castro and the likes but all of them, no matter how bad they are, will have done at minimum one thing that will have been good for the country.. To Castro's credit it will have been building a great medical system and doctors with little new equipment and medication from the US.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I remember my brother visiting Cuba and taking clothes and extra medication to hand to the people when he was there.. After he returned he said most of the people were ungrateful and he would never return to Cuba. However you have never met my brother 8O

That said you can hate a man like Castro and the likes but all of them, no matter how bad they are, will have done at minimum one thing that will have been good for the country.. To Castro's credit it will have been building a great medical system and doctors with little new equipment and medication from the US.

Myself, and several members of my family went to Cuba, and our experience
was exactly the opposite of your Brothers. My carry on bag held everything I
needed personally, and my stow away bag was filled with things to give away.

Aside from about 80lbs of various medications (spread over 12 peoples bags),
things that went over very well where toys (Barbies & MatchBox Cars), the cloth
reusable bags from any grocery store, Dollar Store sun glasses, feminine hygiene
products, batteries, perfume (& perfumed soaps), and especially children's sized
plain white socks (children wear uniforms for school, and part of the uniform is
plain white socks).

Say and think what you want about Fidel Castro, but he and Che Guevara are
National Hero's and thought of very highly by most of the Cubans I met. Their
concept of history is very different than ours. They say that they've already had
their own 911....3 times already, and the terrorists each time where the American
Government.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Myself, and several members of my family went to Cuba, and our experience
was exactly the opposite of your Brothers. My carry on bag held everything I
needed personally, and my stow away bag was filled with things to give away.

Aside from about 80lbs of various medications (spread over 12 peoples bags),
things that went over very well where toys (Barbies & MatchBox Cars), the cloth
reusable bags from any grocery store, Dollar Store sun glasses, feminine hygiene
products, batteries, perfume (& perfumed soaps), and especially children's sized
plain white socks (children wear uniforms for school, and part of the uniform is
plain white socks).

Say and think what you want about Fidel Castro, but he and Che Guevara are
National Hero's and thought of very highly by most of the Cubans I met. Their
concept of history is very different than ours. They say that they've already had
their own 911....3 times already, and the terrorists each time where the American
Government.

Like I said, "However you have never met my brother"... He can complain about people regardless.. lol

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

Why? The USA imposed no such rule when it dealt with Russia, China, and the Eastern Bloc. And because of those dealings, the nations reformed and became capitalist.

Toro

Senate Member

Why? The USA imposed no such rule when it dealt with Russia, China, and the Eastern Bloc. And because of those dealings, the nations reformed and became capitalist.

Which is why the embargo should be lifted.

The only reason why it hasn't is because some septagenarian and octagenarian Cubans and Cold Warriors can't admit defeat.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

They tried and other agencies imposed rules as a requirement of membership.