Don't let political, economic upheaval cloud hope for future, GG tells Canadians

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Don't let political, economic upheaval cloud hope for future, GG tells Canadians

While Canadians have reason to be hopeful as they look ahead to the future, there are considerable challenges for the country to overcome in the weeks and months ahead, Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean says.

In a holiday message posted on her website, the Governor General called on Canadians to be optimistic even though the economic downturn and recent parliamentary crisis have been cause for unease.

"The challenges are considerable and have caused a great deal of anxiety," Jean said in the pre-recorded video.

"This past year came to a close with the announcement of a global recession, one from which we are not immune, while an unprecedented political crisis shook the country."

The Governor General herself played a pivotal role in the political upheaval that gripped the country earlier this month.

Facing the loss of a confidence vote on its November economic update and a subsequent Liberal-NDP coalition with Bloc Québécois support, Prime Minister Stephen Harper convinced Jean to prorogue, or suspend, Parliament and temporarily prevent the fall of the minority Conservative government.

Parliament resumes on Jan. 26, a day before Harper's government is slated to present its budget and economic plan, which has been the source of opposition angst. The budget will face a confidence vote sometime after it has been tabled.

Jean also made note of the growing number of Canadian troops killed in Afghanistan, which passed 100 in December and now stands at 106. Three soldiers died there at the end of last week, all victims of roadside bomb attacks.

This turbulent brew of economic and political upheaval, combined with instability overseas, gives Canadians good cause to work together and strive for "greater solidarity between us" in 2009, Jean said.

"The fend-for-yourself mentality has no place in an interdependent world, where the decisions of some have a profound impact on the lives of others, where our fates are inextricably linked."

The Governor General is the Queen's representative in Canada. Jean is Canada's 27th governor general.

Well if we're supposed to get rid of the "Fend-for-yourself" mentality, does that mean we get rid of Harper and the Conservatives since they're the one's attempting to divide the nation and it's people through fearmongering, lies and trying to pit all the other parties against one another to the point where nothing gets done?

Then again, why should we listen to her in the first place? She's the one who delayed out democracy and gave into Harper in the first place.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The Queen and GG toss dreamy dross amongst us peasants. And, we're supposed to taste this manna as wisdom? I'd love to be their speech writer! Of course, my job wouldn't last too long!

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Well Prax, as much as you may disagree with the actions of the GG it was within her right..

That said, I was also dismayed with the prorogation of Parliament, as it had not been even two weeks since it had returned. Furthermore the House had not even voted on a single legislation piece yet. I think that regardless of the coalition fact, it should have been made to follow thru.

But just as the coalition was legal so is the prorogation of Parliament. What will happen in January will be of big interest because Harper delayed an election by stopping the House till then and allowed the Liberals a chance to change Leaders.. It will be a new ball game with a few new twists.

"Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today" - Thomas Jefferson ..

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Lose hope? wtf
I doubt anyone is even close to that yet. But most are concerned how far we have to go in the wrong direction before reason prevails and we get back on course with the financial management of our economy, yeah ours not the world's, get people back to work and finish up this war in Afghanistan.

Then maybe we can work out the rest of these problems one by one.
As a country, united in spite of our differences.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Well Prax, as much as you may disagree with the actions of the GG it was within her right......

While I agree with much of the rest of what you have said, the Gov. General has never in our history, ever prorogued Parliament based on the whim of a PM wanting to simply avoid a non-confidence vote and can simply open up the doors in the future for other PMs to pull this stunt in the future to avoid a Non-Confidence vote. It is normally reserved near the end of a term before an election.... certainly not so shortly after an election.

Even former Gov. Generals claimed that this was the wrong course of action to take, whom have had more years of experience under their belt then her:

The former governor general who presided over the downfall of the Joe Clark government in 1980 says Governor General Michaelle Jean must not let Prime Minister Stephen Harper "duck a confidence vote."

Ed Schreyer told CTV's Canada AM in an interview aired Thursday morning, just hours before Harper headed to Rideau Hall to meet with Jean, that a government must have the confidence of the House in a parliamentary democracy.

The Tories have not said what Harper's meeting will be about, but political analysts and reporters on Parliament Hill have said they expect the prime minister to ask for a prorogation. If granted, the prorogation would end the current session of Parliament before an expected confidence vote on Monday, one Harper would likely lose.

"Any group that presumes to govern must be willing to face and seek the confidence of Parliament, and it mustn't be evaded and it mustn't be long avoided. I can't put it any more succinctly than that," Schreyer said.

Schreyer then hammered home his point even more clearly and in no uncertain terms.

"I must come back to your use of the words, 'to duck a confidence vote,'" he said responding to a question.

"That must simply not be allowed to happen."

She was clearly in the wrong, and there were at least two other available options to choose from, which she didn't.

She took the easy way out and bent over backwards for Harper...... and for that, she can suck a lemon out of my belly button.

She should resign.

..... and who's to say that Harper won't pull this stunt again?

She played a big part in creating this entire mess and now she's trying to tell all of us to not lose hope?

Hope isn't even the word..... I've lost complete faith in her abilities to hold true to defending our democracy from idiots like Harper. She doesn't answer to Harper, and yet, here she is acting like she does.

The whole system is a farce..... a sham, right to the top, and when she shoots down the other party's democratic rights to form a coalition just so Harper can escape a non-confidence..... there is no hope for our system of government.... none at all.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I would expect nothing else from the GG than to attempt to get Canucks to keep our chins up.
As far as the attempted coup goes, I think she did the right thing because people were not fond of the idea of another election, nor are they fond of the idea of having someone at the head of gov't who isn't voted there.
After all, she's the Queen's rep here; Do you people really think the Queen would support the idea of a coup?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I would expect nothing else from the GG than to attempt to get Canucks to keep our chins up.
As far as the attempted coup goes, I think she did the right thing because people were not fond of the idea of another election, nor are they fond of the idea of having someone at the head of gov't who isn't voted there.
After all, she's the Queen's rep here; Do you people really think the Queen would support the idea of a coup?

It is well within our democracy to legally do so, our democracy is based on their democracy, so yes, I do believe the queen would support the idea of a coalition.

And a coalition is much different then a coup.

Every single member of the coalition have been democratically elected by canadian citizens and thus, have every right to join together to get our government to actually start doing its job.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Legal shmegal. Since when has legality ever been of importance to politicians? (That's rhetorical, BTW, as any sane person knows that they are only interested in legalities when it serves their purpose).
It's different how? Spelling? Malicious and vengeful people oust gov't so that they can rule instead. Sounds pretty much the same to me.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
i will try...

Our Parliament is based on the Westminster model. It is a representative democracy. We do not vote for a party. We do not vote for a prime minister. We simply vote for a representative at the constituency level.

The MPs, normally on a party basis, form collectives from which a government is formed. This government serves at the pleasure of the House. if the government falls on a confidence vote, it is perfectly within our democratic structure for MPs to form another collective or coalition to govern.

It's the same MPs as before. Not a coup but rather an alternative to a failed government.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
While I agree with much of the rest of what you have said, the Gov. General has never in our history, ever prorogued Parliament based on the whim of a PM wanting to simply avoid a non-confidence vote and can simply open up the doors in the future for other PMs to pull this stunt in the future to avoid a Non-Confidence vote. It is normally reserved near the end of a term before an election.... certainly not so shortly after an election.

Even former Gov. Generals claimed that this was the wrong course of action to take, whom have had more years of experience under their belt then her:

I am not disagreeing with you but was it illegal and the answer is no.

She was clearly in the wrong, and there were at least two other available options to choose from, which she didn't.

You cannot be right or wrong when you try your best to do what you think is correct.. People will always fault you of the side you did not agree with..

She took the easy way out and bent over backwards for Harper...... and for that, she can suck a lemon out of my belly button.

I don't think it was an easy way out as the meeting was over 2 hours long and most of those are less then 1/2 hr. Be realistic here and realize the pressure she was under having just returned from a long trip.

She should resign.

Why because she did not do things your way. Personally I see it as Harper hanging himself in the long run and being a Centre right person I will be Glad when he is gone.. He is way to controlling and has made way to many mistakes, this perhaps his biggest.. When the Liberals were in their worst position HE COULD NOT EVEN CALL AN ELECTION the FOOL...

..... and who's to say that Harper won't pull this stunt again?

Who's to say a Liberal, NDP or any other Prime Minister won't ?

She played a big part in creating this entire mess and now she's trying to tell all of us to not lose hope?

The problem was created by Voters.. Had we had a Majority Government we would not have had this issue.. Don't blame others for these issues..

The system works as well as any other and it peeves me off to hear Harper or others say the Senate doesn't work and then appoints 18 people.. Hypocrite is the proper term I believe..

Hope isn't even the word..... I've lost complete faith in her abilities to hold true to defending our democracy from idiots like Harper. She doesn't answer to Harper, and yet, here she is acting like she does.

Do any of them in reality answers to the people of Canada ?

The whole system is a farce..... a sham, right to the top, and when she shoots down the other party's democratic rights to form a coalition just so Harper can escape a non-confidence..... there is no hope for our system of government.... none at all.

The right to form a coalition has not been shot down. Did I miss something or did Parliament reopen and the coalition was taken apart ? On Jan 26th when the House sit again the coalition can decide to stay as one ( if solidarity is still solid ) or separate back into individual parties.

The real shame in all this is that Canadians must wait for Economic help while Harper has held Parliament hostage at his own doing for almost 3 months.. Canadians should surely remember this at the polls as there are facts to remember here

The Coalition was LEGAL
Parliament was stopped by Harper

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
i will try...

Our Parliament is based on the Westminster model. It is a representative democracy. We do not vote for a party. We do not vote for a prime minister. We simply vote for a representative at the constituency level.

The MPs, normally on a party basis, form collectives from which a government is formed. This government serves at the pleasure of the House. if the government falls on a confidence vote, it is perfectly within our democratic structure for MPs to form another collective or coalition to govern.

It's the same MPs as before. Not a coup but rather an alternative to a failed government.

Indeed.... it is a method of maintaining the government everybody voted for.... and if anything, if various parties decided to work together and get the things done the people they represent want done and form a majority, regardless of their party connections, even more of Canada is being properly represented compared to one party trying to dictate a minority government.

Then again, the Gov. General said Canadians should unite together..... what better way then to have all the parties (except one party full of themselves) joining together to form a coalition and to get things done for once?

If one party is causing all of these problems, if one party doesn't want to listen to the other parties and seek solutions, and if one party doesn't want to actually do their damn jobs the way they should be done, then this is the best alternative to get things done.

It's legal, it's democratic, and it should have taken place before the Holidays.

Coalitions have been formed in the past in our government, and usually they are formed during some serious times in our nations' history...... one would think a screwed up economy of the likes similar to the great depression apon us, millions losing their jobs, a leading party not willing to do their job, and fighting a war halfway accross the planet would be enough to justify a coalition.

What our nation doesn't need right now is a minority-leading party playing political games for their own agendas during these times...... and then delaying our government for their own selfish desires of maintaining power so that even less gets done for longer.... causing more hardship and stress on average citizens.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
i will try...

No shyte, Sherlock. However, most voters voted for Con MPs, obviously. They didn't vote for Iggy & his MPs, Jack Lameton & his MPs, etc.
I see it as a matter of perception. The NDP scare the hell out of a lot of people (remember Bob Rae's Ontario and Glen Clark's BC gov'ts?), Martin's Gliberals were deceptive and larcenistic. The Glibs would turn themselves inside out to get Cons out and vice versa. Sure seems like a malicious and vengeful attempt to me. And I didn't see any vote of non-confidence. When did it take place? Has this gov't really failed in what it was supposed to do? Of course it hasn't done everything it said it would .... NO gov't has done that. Has this gov't been more damaging to Canadians than not? That remains to be seen.
Either way, I would imagine the Queen told the GG what her decision should be so people should accept it as simply what is.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I can't wait until the coalition begins governing this fine country of ours. The economy will be rebound over night, we'll have universal daycare courtesy of Jack, crime will cease in Toronto due to NDP magic, beer will be free, everything will be just peachy.