Quote: Originally Posted by Just the Facts
OK, so Hamas takes over Gaza in a violent coup, and you tell me that is was actually a failed Fatah coup and that Hamas was duly elected.
Hamas fails in it's coup attempt in the west bank, and you tell me that Fatah actually took over in a coup from duly elected Hamas.
Israeli's build walls to seal themselves in to protect themselves from random terrorist attacks that they have been putting up with for decades, and you tell me Arabs are being imprisoned by these walls.
As for summary executions, I'm willing to bet more Palestinian Arabs are summarily executed by Palestinian jihadi's who accuse them of being collaborators or spies for Israel than by any Israeli action, official or otherwise.
You feed me all this doublespeak BS, then you wonder why I have a hard time supporting the Palestinian cause.
Israel pulled out of Gaza. They handed it to the Palestinians on a silver platter. In return, they got rocket fire.
Explain that, then we'll move on to the west bank.
If the news tells us that Hamas took Gaza by force, does that mean its true?
Here are some events you must have forgotten:
Fatah never recognized the results and refused to hand over power that Hamas won in internationally recognized free and fair elections. That's what started the fighting between Hamas and Fatah.
Hamas accuses Abbas of launching coup. 17/12/2006. ABC News Online (external - login to view)
Eventually Abbas and Fatah with US and Israeli support seized complete control of the West Bank in violation of Hamas's democratic mandate. Hamas successfully defended themselves from Fatah in Gaza where they had more support.
So how can Hamas been the instigators of a coup when they were democratically elected and Fatah who refused to recognize the election results, refused to hand over power and now maintains power by force over the wishes of a majority of Palestinians? I am well aware of what the news says and regarding this conflict, very little of what the western news tells is accurate or objective.
Do you believe the news told us the truth about Iraq's WMDs and links to al Qaeda? Or do you believe that what we were told about Iraq in 2002/2003 was mostly manipulative propaganda designed to make people fear and hate Iraqis and Saddam Hussein in support of an unprovoked war. Do you actually believe the same news sources are telling us the truth now about the Israel/Palestine conflict?
Regarding the wall:
If its true that Israel builds walls to seal themselves in as you believe, then explain why these Israeli constructed walls are built on Palestinan land? If two neighbors agree to build a fence, wouldn't they build the fence on the border? Following that ananlogy what Israel has done is the equivalent of one neighbor building a fence on their neighbor's land in order to restrict their access to their backyard and then built a pool in what used to be their neighbor's backyard.
Because of the wall, construction of Jewish only settlements and restictions imposed on Palestinians living in the West Bank, they have access to about 40% of the West Bank. Israelis illegally living in the West Bank have access to the other 60% and can travel to/from Israel proper without going through any barriers. The West Bank wall restricts Palestinian's access to water, health care, education, farmland...
Gaza is completely surrounded by their wall and Israel controls all legal trade. Effectively Gaza's wall has turned Gaza into a giant open air prison. But because of the violence there, Gazans have access to nearly 100% of Gaza.
Yes Israel pulled their illegal settlements out of Gaza. They had become undefendable from violent Palestinians demanding they leave. When the Israelis left, they razed most of the buildings. The illegal Jewish settlers living in Gaza wanted to raze the greenhouses too, but they were paid not to by a charitable foundation consisting mostly of American Jews interested in promoting peace. When Israel pulled out of Gaza, the IDF didn't coordinate it with the Gaza authorities and as a result about 10% were destroyed by the angry mob who got to them first. Since then, Israel hasn't allowed the greenhouse operators to freely export their produce. Israel would close Gaza's borders during harvest time "for security and technical reasons". But the reality is that Israel did not want Gazans to succeed and eventually put most of them out of business. After Hamas won the elections, Israel imposed an economic embargo on Gaza, pretty much putting the remainder of greenhouses out of business... Understandably, Gazans trying to run the greenhouses are angry.