Israel urges Russia not to sell missiles to Iran

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

CTV.ca | Israel urges Russia not to sell missiles to Iran

MOSCOW -- An Israeli envoy urged Russia on Friday not to sell weapons to Iran that could be used to attack the Jewish state, a news agency reported.

The Interfax news agency quoted Israeli Defense Ministry envoy Amos Gilad as saying Israel expects Russia to respect his country's interests.

"The deliveries of dangerous armaments to our enemies won't serve the interests of peace and, for instance, can help Iran wipe Israel off the face of earth," Gilad was quoted as saying. "So we expect Russia to demonstrate responsibility on the issue."

Oh my Jewish Jesus.... they're still using that flawed quote as a defense? Sure and we have to make sure Saddam doesn't get WMD.... oh yeah.... never mind. :roll:

Gilad, who was visiting Moscow, was responding to a question about possible deliveries of Russian S-300 air defense missiles to Iran.

Some Russian media have claimed that a deal has already been struck to sell the missiles, but Russian officials have denied it.

Russia has previously sold Tor-M1 air-defense missiles and other weapons to Iran in deals criticized by the U.S. and Israel. The long-range S-300 is a much more advanced weapon that would make any potential Israeli strike at Iran's nuclear facilities more difficult.

Good, give them to them then, then Israel will think twice about starting something that doesn't exist.

Israel, the United States and much of the international community believe that Iran is secretly developing nuclear weapons, but Iran insists its uranium enrichment program is intended solely for civilian energy needs.

Russia has maintained close ties with Iran and is building its first nuclear power plant, which is expected to go on line next year. Russia has backed limited U.N. sanctions against Iran, but has staunchly resisted the U.S. push for harsher measures.

According to Interfax, Gilad denied allegations that Russia and Israel had struck a secret deal under which Israel would abstain from selling weapons to Georgia and Russia wouldn't sell weapons to Iran.

He added, however, that Israel would take Russia's interests into account. "And we expect a similar approach from Russia," he was quoted as saying.

In recent months, Israel has done its best to make Russia happy. It has distanced itself from Georgia, announcing even before Georgia's August war with Russia that it was cutting weapons sales to Tbilisi. Israel later further restricted defense contacts and even instructed defense consultants not to visit the Caucasus nation.

Russia's top military officer said this week that Moscow is negotiating with Israel to buy a batch of spy drones in what would be its first ever purchase of military hardware from the Jewish state.

I don't see the big deal.... Iran wouldn't need the missiles if Israel wasn't threatening to attack them.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Oh my Jewish Jesus.... they're still using that flawed quote as a defense? Sure and we have to make sure Saddam doesn't get WMD.... oh yeah.... never mind. :roll:

"Wipe them off the map", "tear them out of the pages of time", "eliminate the regime"....what's the difference. It's just semantics. Iran has it out for for Israel. Just ask them. Why defend Iran from a posture it's proud of?

Good, give them to them then, then Israel will think twice about starting something that doesn't exist.

Palestine? :p

I don't see the big deal.... Iran wouldn't need the missiles if Israel wasn't threatening to attack them.

Projection much? Israel wouldn't be threatening to attack Iran if Iran wasn't threateneing to attack Israel, and by proxy, already did attack Israel. Plus, Israel is only threatening to attack Iran's nuclear capability, not wipe them off the map. ...er, sorry, I mean eliminate them from the pages of history.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
"Wipe them off the map", "tear them out of the pages of time", "eliminate the regime"....what's the difference. It's just semantics. Iran has it out for for Israel. Just ask them. Why defend Iran from a posture it's proud of?

Funny I thought I already explained this not actually being semantics.

Me saying I'm going to kill you with a pick axe isn't the same as me saying I hope you get killed by a pick axe. One is a threat, the other is wishful thinking.

Not that I want you killed by a pick axe, that was just an example to relate to the above.

Projection much? Israel wouldn't be threatening to attack Iran if Iran wasn't threateneing to attack Israel, and by proxy, already did attack Israel. Plus, Israel is only threatening to attack Iran's nuclear capability, not wipe them off the map. ...er, sorry, I mean eliminate them from the pages of history.

Nobody ever said Iran would directly wipe them off the map or directly wipe them from the pages of time..... and besides, the comment about the pages of time was referenced only in regards to the current government of Israel because they are against any level headed negotiations with their neighbors and are continually causing all the crap that is happening over there.

Here's the offical explination accepted by many who can actually see things for what they are, not what fearmongering can imply:

.......On 26 October 2005 Ahmadinejad gave a speech at a conference in Tehran entitled "World Without Zionism". According to widely published translations, he agreed with a statement he attributed to Ayatollah Khomeini that the "occupying regime" had to be removed, and referred to it as a "disgraceful stain [on] the Islamic world", that needed to be "wiped from the pages of history.".......
....... Dr. Juan Cole, a professor of modern Middle Eastern and South Asian history at the University of Michigan, has argued that Ahmadinejad was not calling for the destruction of Israel, “Ahmadinejad did not say he was going to wipe Israel off the map because no such idiom exists in Persian.” Dr. Stephen Walt, a professor of international affairs at Harvard University has said “I don’t think he is inciting to genocide." According to Gawdat Bahgat, Director of Center for Middle Eastern Studies at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, "the fiery calls to destroy Israel are meant to mobilize domestic and regional constituencies" and that "Rhetoric aside, most analysts agree that the Islamic Republic and the Jewish state are not likely to engage in a military confrontation against each other."......

I have even heard various quotes from Ahmadinejad saying that he has nothing against jews or the people currently living in Israel, but he has an issue with what has occured to those in Palestine.

What was his solution?

......When CNN's Larry King asked Ahmadinejad "does Israel remain Israel" in his version of the Middle East, Ahmadinejad suggested that throughout the Palestinian territories free elections for all be conducted under the supervision of international organizations. Ahmadinejad suggested that "..we must allow free elections to happen in Palestine under the supervision of the United Nations. And the Palestinian people, the displaced Palestinian people, or whoever considers Palestine its land, can participate in free elections. And then whatever happens as a result could happen."

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^ Seems like a far cry from wanting to destroy and kill everybody living in Israel.

And if he really wanted that to occur, then why is there only one real quote everybody hangs off of to support the claim, and there has been no other besides this misquote and faulty translation?

Why are we not hearing continual banter about wanting to destroy Israel?

Because they got some negitive attention from the first time?

When has negitive attention ever stopped Iran from doing what it wanted? (Hostage crisis for example)

The fact is, is that both the US and Israel want to pick a fight, they want to cause another war, which is why many in the middle east hate Israel's government in the first place, because they make it continually difficult to reach any kind of peace or negotiations..... so then someone says they would like to see the government be removed as it is continually creating a stain in the area and nothing is getting done...... but somehow, that got spun into them wanting to destroy everybody living in Israel.

So now seriously..... look back on all that has occured:

Who has been keeping the attack and war talk going on so far?

Israel..... the US. Iran and it's president have clearly stated they have no intentions of starting any form of war with anybody at this time.

And their seeking of nuclear power?

They are completely within their rights to seek it, and if it will help them get off of their coal/oil dependancies, I'd think that'd be a good thing.

But then again, if Israel and the US keep talking about attacking them, I'd be starting to think about nuclear arms for defense as well....... but then who started that?

Israel..... the US.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Iran wouldn't need the missiles if not for Israel eh?

Do you forget the OTHER nuclear power Iran has frequent beefs with, Pakistan?

The west isn't the only people the Taliban hate, murdering all Shia muslims as heretics doesn't endear them to Iran, it also means that as the Taliban gain power in Pakistan Iran's relations get worse, bordering on military intervention.

Rightly or wrongly, Russia is giving long range missiles to a potentially nuclear power in an unstable region where two different nuclear powers are in danger of going to war with Iran.

Israel is not Iran's only enemy.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Iran wouldn't need the missiles if not for Israel eh?

Do you forget the OTHER nuclear power Iran has frequent beefs with, Pakistan?

Every country has a beef with another.... when was the last time anybody actually attempted to nuke one another simply because they have differences?

Hell, India and Pakistan hate each other for the most part, they both have nukes, yet nothing has happened yet.... what's the big deal?

The west isn't the only people the Taliban hate, murdering all Shia muslims as heretics doesn't endear them to Iran, it also means that as the Taliban gain power in Pakistan Iran's relations get worse, bordering on military intervention.

Rightly or wrongly, Russia is giving long range missiles to a potentially nuclear power in an unstable region where two different nuclear powers are in danger of going to war with Iran.

Israel is not Iran's only enemy.

Yeah well we all have seen what taking action on speculations have gotten us in recent history.

Until there is any real proof of any kind of threat, there is no justification to keep Iran isolated and in the dark from the rest of the world.

Geez, maybe if other's decided to play nicely with them for a change, they wouldn't be so pissy.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Every country has a beef with another.... when was the last time anybody actually attempted to nuke one another simply because they have differences?

Hell, India and Pakistan hate each other for the most part, they both have nukes, yet nothing has happened yet.... what's the big deal?

Yeah well we all have seen what taking action on speculations have gotten us in recent history.

Until there is any real proof of any kind of threat, there is no justification to keep Iran isolated and in the dark from the rest of the world.

Geez, maybe if other's decided to play nicely with them for a change, they wouldn't be so pissy.

Russia wants influence in the Area, it wants its own version of America and Israel.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Russia wants influence in the Area, it wants its own version of America and Israel.

I don't see the problem with that. If anything, it provides stability. Sort of a Middle East MAD doctorine.

Israel (today) dominates the Middle East militarily and politically (through their military dominence)

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Mad Doctrine only works if you think by logic, and don't have an innate belief that superbeings will save you.

Half of Amenidijad's advisors it turns out have no education, and lied about going to various universities.

If Iran had a little better leadership (At least than currently) it wouldn't be an issue.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Israel (today) dominates the Middle East militarily and politically (through their military dominence)

What do you expect, considering the ragtag armies in the rest of the area. They should just be lucky Israel hasn't wiped them all out...

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Zzarchov;1029801[B said:
]Mad Doctrine only works if you think by logic, and don't have an innate belief that superbeings will save you.[/B]

Half of Amenidijad's advisors it turns out have no education, and lied about going to various universities.

If Iran had a little better leadership (At least than currently) it wouldn't be an issue.

Substitute USA for the word Iran. Do you see any difference?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Substitute USA for the word Iran. Do you see any difference?

No, the USA's top advisors are very well educated and very much understand the concept of consequences.

There is a difference between being good and understanding the concept of MAD and what that means. The soviets were bad people, but they were rational. Likewise it is possible to be just and pure but irrational.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
No, the USA's top advisors are very well educated and very much understand the concept of consequences.

There is a difference between being good and understanding the concept of MAD and what that means. The soviets were bad people, but they were rational. Likewise it is possible to be just and pure but irrational.

Likewise it is possible to be just and pure but irrational

How did you morph from Israel/Iran/USSR to the far right American fundamentalists? I don't even think I could call them "just" or "pure". Irrational, yes

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I wonder how this would go over if it was Lebanon, Syria, West Bank and Gaza residents that were asking the US not to arm Israel?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Likewise it is possible to be just and pure but irrational

How did you morph from Israel/Iran/USSR to the far right American fundamentalists? I don't even think I could call them "just" or "pure". Irrational, yes

Where do you get that I was talking about far right American fundamentalists?

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
And if he really wanted that to occur, then why is there only one real quote everybody hangs off of to support the claim, and there has been no other besides this misquote and faulty translation?

Why are we not hearing continual banter about wanting to destroy Israel?

lmao we're not? I better stop eating at those cheap restaurants!! :p

One quote? Seriously? That's all you've heard? What about the military parades depicting US and Israeli flags being oblitereated by a missile in half-time show fashion? What about Death to America banners being paraded around on Iranian military jeeps in Iran? What about the Death to America billboards all over Tehran? What about Death to America chants led by Iranian Mullahs at what is supposed to be a holy pilgrimmage to the holiest site in Islam?

One quote? Please.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
I wonder how this would go over if it was Lebanon, Syria, West Bank and Gaza residents that were asking the US not to arm Israel?

You mean they don't? I thought 9/11 and all the other terrorist attacks on America were all about U.S. foreign policy? That's how they ask. Maybe Israel should just blow up a Russian embassy to protest Russian foreign policy, then you guys would all understand and be sympathetic...."we're not in support of terror attacks against Russia, but....." :lol:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I think it's a sound decision on the part of the Iranians to arm themselves to the teeth or become a death camp like Gaza, it's how the Israelis like their neighbours. I see where Lebanon is to get a dozen or so Mig 29s, that's another part of the Israeli front line, it's the only peaceful country in history whos front line is a circle.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
The USA just sold Saudi Arabia a nuclear power plant. Russia has to bolster Iran to keep the region balanced.