U.S. war resister faces deportation Christmas Eve

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

CTV.ca | U.S. war resister faces deportation Christmas Eve

TORONTO -- The War Resisters Support Campaign says Citizenship and Immigration Canada has told a U.S. war resister living in Nanaimo, B.C., that he must leave Canada by Dec. 24, or face removal by force.

Cliff Cornell, originally from Arkansas, arrived in Canada in January 2005. Cornell currently works as an assistant manager of a retail store near Nanaimo.

Cornell's deportation order comes after similar orders for war resisters Corey Glass, Jeremy Hinzman and his family, Patrick Hart and his family, Matt Lowell and Dean Walcott.

The group says in a release that another war resister, Kim Rivera, will receive a decision on Jan. 7.

Rivera served with the U.S. Army in Iraq and came to Canada with her husband, Mario, and their two children in early 2007.

The War Resisters Support Campaign said it is calling on the federal government to implement a motion adopted by Parliament on June 3, 2008.

The motion recommended that "conscientious objectors to wars not sanctioned by the Security Council of the United Nations" be allowed to remain in Canada and apply for permanent resident status.

It was adopted by a vote of 137-110 and also directed the government to stop deportation proceedings against war resisters living in Canada.

The Federal Court is to hear an appeal by Jeremy Hinzman against his deportation order on Feb. 10, 2009.

"Minister Jason Kenney should stop all deportations, at least until the Federal Court has completed the Hinzman appeal," said Lee Zaslofsky, Co-ordinator of the War Resisters Support Campaign. "It would be a travesty if war resisters were deported, especially over the holidays, only to have the court find that they should be given another chance to apply to stay in Canada."

makes sense to me.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
There must be more than this one person. What do all the other objectors do? are they being deported too or are they just deporting this one?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I think only one has been deported so far but a lot of others are coming back on their own to face the music.

I'd be interested to know how many are still there.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
if you want to leave your country, get qualified, get married and start filling in the forms. that's what I did. Now the marriage made it easier but it wouldnt have been neccessary thanks to my qualifications... or he could move to the UK. They're just as lax as Canada on immigrants, and the beaurocracy moves so slowly over there he'd probably die of old age before getting deported

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I do not think he had time to do all those things. They are deserters from the US Military and are fugitives from justice.

I so hope Canada send us this guy gift wrapped.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
We have to watch for precedents too. I agree with keeping them if they're fleeing a military at war without UN sanction. This applies not only to Vietnam, but what about a Russian deserter to Canada from the Soviet Army against Afghanistan, or any other army around the world at war without UN approval and for reasons other than self-defence?

We do have to beware of such precedents. If we send a person back over Vietnam, then legally to be objective we'd have to do the same to all war deserters irrespective of country, army or war being faught. That's why I think UN-sancitoned wars is a good ubjective benchmark in order to protect against such a precedent. Dangerous precedent n my opinion.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
This pops up from time to time. I always go and check the War Resisters webpage to get an update.

So Robin Long I heard has written Obama. He has asked for a Presidential pardon from him as he feels his sentence is too harsh. Robin was the first guy that Canada sent back to the US. He got sentenced to 14 months in the brig and a Dishonorable Discharge which is a felony. In essence...he's screwed.

He got married in Canada and has said that because of his felony conviction it will be tough to reenter Canada and live there. Is that so?

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I wish Canada had a backbone and stood straight.

Do we support the Irak war or not? If we don't, then deporting the soldier is cowardly and hypocrite.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I wish Canada had a backbone and stood straight.

Do we support the Irak war or not? If we don't, then deporting the soldier is cowardly and hypocrite.

Do we support the Iraq war? Again, this is quite subjective. I believe to go by whether or not the war is sanctioned by the UN Security Counsel, or better yet, led by the UN Security Counsel, would be a more objective and defensible criterion at the international level, and would also avoid accusations of anti-American bias on the American side as it would be a clearly objective and internationally valid criterion.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Send him home. He broke the law here in the US and the US and Canada have that little agreement that we send each others criminals back when they flee the country.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
This pops up from time to time. I always go and check the War Resisters webpage to get an update.

So Robin Long I heard has written Obama. He has asked for a Presidential pardon from him as he feels his sentence is too harsh. Robin was the first guy that Canada sent back to the US. He got sentenced to 14 months in the brig and a Dishonorable Discharge which is a felony. In essence...he's screwed.

He got married in Canada and has said that because of his felony conviction it will be tough to reenter Canada and live there. Is that so?

That sounds about right, which is why I have an issue with sending them back.... it's not just as simple as serving your time in military prison and then off you go with your life as nothing ever happened.

With a criminal record, esspecially a felony, it's practically impossible to get into the country, let alone to be a citizen (even if you are married to a Canadian)

Even if my girlfriend and I got married today, she'd still have to leave the country next month to get her visa renewed, she still wouldn't be covered with our health care and she still will have to go through the processes of becoming a citizen, which is to live here for 2 years at the least. (Not to mention the thousands of dollars they want you to pay in order to process the paper work.... then you wait about half a year to hear if you got in or not..... and if you don't, you don't get your money back)

It's one giant burocratic pile of dog sh*t if you ask me..... I can only imagine the mess these guys would have to go through to continue to live here if deported.

And I'm pretty sure those guys won't have such an easy life back in the US for being known as deserters.

I mean, in perfect honesty, if we had or have troops desert our forces and headed to another country to avoid legal action, I say go for it..... leave, don't come back, and I hope the new country they moved to will treat them decently so that they can start a new life.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Send him home. He broke the law here in the US and the US and Canada have that little agreement that we send each others criminals back when they flee the country.
That depends. Refresh my poor memory. I can't remember how he entered Canada. If he got in by lying then by all means send him back. If he came legally then I don't see how we can deport him. Whether or not he broke US laws is irrelevant.:?:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
That sounds about right, which is why I have an issue with sending them back.... it's not just as simple as serving your time in military prison and then off you go with your life as nothing ever happened.

With a criminal record, esspecially a felony, it's practically impossible to get into the country, let alone to be a citizen (even if you are married to a Canadian)

Even if my girlfriend and I got married today, she'd still have to leave the country next month to get her visa renewed, she still wouldn't be covered with our health care and she still will have to go through the processes of becoming a citizen, which is to live here for 2 years at the least. (Not to mention the thousands of dollars they want you to pay in order to process the paper work.... then you wait about half a year to hear if you got in or not..... and if you don't, you don't get your money back)

It's one giant burocratic pile of dog sh*t if you ask me..... I can only imagine the mess these guys would have to go through to continue to live here if deported.

And I'm pretty sure those guys won't have such an easy life back in the US for being known as deserters.

I mean, in perfect honesty, if we had or have troops desert our forces and headed to another country to avoid legal action, I say go for it..... leave, don't come back, and I hope the new country they moved to will treat them decently so that they can start a new life.

I heard this figure about 6 months ago, so it could be outdated, but doesn't Immigration
Canada have deportation orders for about 40,000 people who are somewhere inside of
the Country, but they just can't find them? Misplaced or displaced, that's still enough
bodies to populate a small city like Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan all by themselves...

My Daughter-in-Law is still going through the immigration process, and in her Internet
hunting for more knowledge about the process, she stumbled across a guy selling
T-Shirts that state, "I survived the Canadian Immigration Process." That say's something
about the state of our bureaucracy.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I heard this figure about 6 months ago, so it could be outdated, but doesn't Immigration
Canada have deportation orders for about 40,000 people who are somewhere inside of
the Country, but they just can't find them? Misplaced or displaced, that's still enough
bodies to populate a small city like Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan all by themselves...

My Daughter-in-Law is still going through the immigration process, and in her Internet
hunting for more knowledge about the process, she stumbled across a guy selling
T-Shirts that state, "I survived the Canadian Immigration Process." That say's something
about the state of our bureaucracy.

lol.... I'll have to pick one up for my gf.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
That depends. Refresh my poor memory. I can't remember how he entered Canada. If he got in by lying then by all means send him back. If he came legally then I don't see how we can deport him. Whether or not he broke US laws is irrelevant.:?:

So the US and Canada do not have an extradition (sic) agreement?

If I rob a bank and make it to Canada I can thumb my nose at the Police on the US side of the border?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
So the US and Canada do not have an extradition (sic) agreement?

If I rob a bank and make it to Canada I can thumb my nose at the Police on the US side of the border?

From what I know by a limited amount, the US or Canada can request one another to send criminals back to each other, but they really don't have to if they don't want to...... but I really don't know much about it.

I imagine if I decide to commit a crime in the US, I'll find out soon enough :-?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Well I can respect that opinion. I also agree with your statement that they will not have a good life here.

I think the guys that are getting it the worst are the ones that are really trying to fight extradition. They aren't the only ones who are getting in trouble. On reading the webpage it appears that the ones that simply say that they are refusing orders and are pleading guilty to the charge are getting a Bad Conduct Discharge and tossed from the service. That is not a felony, it sticks with you no doubt, but not like a felony charge. Some of those folks are out as we speak and still speaking out against the war as is their right.

I think it is the die hards that are grandstanding up north while still in deserter status that are getting raked over the coals. This guy Robin Long was arrested twice up there while on deserter status. I think Canada got sick of him.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

I agree, send him back. We certainly don't want or need yankee criminals up here....

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I do not think he had time to do all those things. They are deserters from the US Military and are fugitives from justice.

I so hope Canada send us this guy gift wrapped.

Ok so i have a bit less sympathy now... If you join the military, expect to get sent to war.

that's why i'd never EVER join any part of the military. I don't agree with war of any kind, and i certainly don't want to get involved in it