homeowners: Religion trumps building codes

]Amish homeowners: Religion trumps building codes
By TODD RICHMOND, Associated Press Writer Todd Richmond, Associated Press Writer – Sat Dec 13, 1:25 pm ET
AP – Two homes built by Amish farmer Samuel Stoltzfus are seen Nov. 24, 2008, outside Black River Falls, Wis. …
TOWN OF FRANKLIN, Wis. – Daniel Borntreger's home looks like hundreds of other Wisconsin farmhouses: two-story A-frame, porch, clothes on the line.
But his home could cost him thousands of dollars in fines. Borntreger, an Amish farmer,...

Quote has been trimmed
Rest here: Amish homeowners: Religion trumps building codes - Yahoo! News (external - login to view)
Did he make all of the materials by hand?
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Did he make all of the materials by hand?

No. Cousin Jebodiah......buy AMISH!
I doubt that an Amish traditional house would meet the codes. I know they won't where I live. Codes have nothing to do with how well built the house is, his home will no doubt be standing may years after the ones built to code rot away. They are all about ensuring you use approved products and design. It is up to you to prove that the rough cut lumber off your own property is stronger than the MSR dressed& kiln dried crap in the lumber yard. Generally speaking you are not allowed to move into your house until it is completed and an occupancy permit is issued. No living in a half built house and finishing it as time and money allow. Gotta make sure the mortgage companies get in on the act too.
L Gilbert
Just ask all the leaky condo owners in Vancouver if having codes makes a diff, or if having permits is a guarantee that the structure has been built to code in the first place.