Canada should consider extension of Afghanistan mission, Gates suggests

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

U.S. Defence Secretary Robert Gates meets with General David McKiernan, commander International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) and commander of U.S. forces Afghanistan at Kandahar Air field on Thursday.

Canada should consider extension of Afghanistan mission, Gates suggests

U.S. Defence Secretary Robert Gates hinted on Thursday that Canada should extend its military mission in Afghanistan past the 2011 scheduled end date.

Gates, who arrived at Canada's main base in Kandahar on Thursday, was asked by a reporter whether Canada should continue its mission.

"The countries that have partnered with the United States and Afghanistan here in [regional command] south have made an extraordinary commitment and proportionately none have worked harder or sacrificed more than the Canadians," said Gates, who arrived at Canada's main base in Kandahar on Thursday.

"They have been outstanding partners for us and all I can tell you is has been the case for a very long time, the longer we can have Canadian soldiers as our partners the better it is."

Gates's comments were in response to a reporter's question on whether Canada should carry on its mission past the end of its scheduled mandate.

During the election campaign, Prime Minister Stephen Harper reaffirmed that Canada would withdraw the bulk of its military forces in Afghanistan as scheduled in 2011.

CBC's David Common said Gates comments should not be considered a formal request, but that they are significant because the defence secretary is staying on in that role under Barack Obama's administration. As well, the president-elect has said getting more troops to Afghanistan is a priority.

Gates also told reporters that the Pentagon will move three brigades into Afghanistan by next summer,. the most specific he's been on when he'd begin meeting the requests of ground commanders asking for 20,000 troops.

The extra troops are expected to be deployed to Kabul to secure the capital before moving to Kandahar, considered the epicentre of violence and where most of the 2,500 Canadian soldiers in the region are based.

Gates said he will not have to cut troop levels further in Iraq to free up at least two of those three brigades for Afghan duty.

He also said the mission needs to focus better on building the Afghan army and better co-operation with Kabul on security operations.

"I think there's a concern on the part of some of the Afghans that we sort of tell them what we're going to do, instead of taking proposals to them and getting their input and then working out with them what we're going to do, so it's a real partnership," Gates said. "That's an important aspect of this, that I think we need a course correction."

So should we extend our mission there or stick to our guns and leave?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
We should leave.

The sun is setting on American imperialism.

We should have three yrs ago. The US claims that the war in Afghanistan is over, yet.....

"The U.S. military plans to move three more combat brigades to Afghanistan by summer, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said."

Generally when a war is "over" and the enemy has been defeated (as the US claims), troops start to withdraw, not increase.

By definition I would suspect that this war will never be over, but Canada's obligations have been met and it is now time for other NATO countries to step up to a war that is over(?)