Transparency International 2008 Corruption Perceptions Index

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Transparency International 2008 Corruption Perceptions Index

With countries such as Somalia and Iraq among those showing the highest levels of perceived corruption, Transparency International’s (TI) 2008 Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI), launched today, highlights the fatal link between poverty, failed institutions and graft. But other notable backsliders in the 2008 CPI indicate that the strength of oversight mechanisms is also at risk among the wealthiest.

“In the poorest countries, corruption levels can mean the difference between life and death, when money for hospitals or clean water is in play,” said Huguette Labelle, Chair of Transparency International. “The continuing high levels of corruption and poverty plaguing many of the world’s societies amount to an ongoing humanitarian disaster and cannot be tolerated. But even in more privileged countries, with enforcement disturbingly uneven, a tougher approach to tackling corruption is needed.”

The Transparency International CPI measures the perceived levels of public-sector corruption in a given country and is a composite index, drawing on different expert and business surveys. The 2008 CPI scores 180 countries (the same number as the 2007 CPI) on a scale from zero (highly corrupt) to ten (highly clean).

Denmark, New Zealand and Sweden share the highest score at 9.3, followed immediately by Singapore at 9.2. Bringing up the rear is Somalia at 1.0, slightly trailing Iraq and Myanmar at 1.3 and Haiti at 1.4.

While score changes in the Index are not rapid, statistically significant changes are evident in certain countries from the high to the low end of the CPI. Looking at source surveys included in both the 2007 and 2008 Index, significant declines can be seen in the scores of Bulgaria, Burundi, Maldives, Norway and the United Kingdom.

Similarly, statistically significant improvements over the last year can be identified in Albania, Cyprus, Georgia, Mauritius, Nigeria, Oman, Qatar, South Korea, Tonga and Turkey.

Source

Download report

Canada is at #9 with a score of 8.7

I wonder where we'll be in 2009?

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
#9 looks like a pretty good spot for Canada.
I would be more concerned about a YOY downward trend.

Trying to move into the top spot probably means you end up with a country that is a bit to anal.

Some of the Nordic countries are a tad high on the social control level.

And Singapore, my god, illegal to spit, illegal to chew gum.
Death penalties for this and that.
Nice place and all, but not for me.

Better just to stay in the top 10 perhaps.

Trex

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
International 2008 Corruption Perceptions Index

With countries such as Somalia and Iraq among those showing the highest levels of perceived corruption, Transparency International’s (TI) 2008 Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI), launched today, highlights the fatal link between poverty, failed institutions and graft.

Good thing HALIBURTON's not a country or Iraq and Somalia would have to mud wrassle them for the crown

ShintoMale

Electoral Member
May 12, 2008
Toronto, Canada
#9 looks like a pretty good spot for Canada.
I would be more concerned about a YOY downward trend.

Trying to move into the top spot probably means you end up with a country that is a bit to anal.

Some of the Nordic countries are a tad high on the social control level.

And Singapore, my god, illegal to spit, illegal to chew gum.
Death penalties for this and that.
Nice place and all, but not for me.

Better just to stay in the top 10 perhaps.

Trex

there is no need to spit in public