Vatican Forgives John Lennon

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Excuse me while I throw up. You made his life a living hell while all this was played out in the media.

Listen, I was born and raised a Catholic, but this backtracking has got to stop. If you take a stance on something don't suddenly reverse your opinion. Either you disagree with Lennon's quote or you don't. The Catholic Church continues to flip-flop. How can you take them seriously?

At the time The Beatles were in fact more popular than Jesus...Lennon was stating a fact. And they add it all up to "a boast by a young man grappling with sudden fame".

What's next? An apology to Madonna for the Papa Don't Preach song. Or an apology to Sinead O'Connor for her rants against the church. Get over it you bunch of pussies. Life is a bitch and you are being called to the mat.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
How magnanimous of them after 28 yrs to admit what was obviously true then and today.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
John Lennon was a severely flawed human being and I would hang out with him before I ever hung out with JC or the Pope. He stood up for his principles and convictions. And like everyone who has done so, he died for our sins. He pointed the way to integrity and the establishment saw that as a threat. And although we admired him, how many of us stood up and followed his lead?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
How arrogant they are, and who cares who they forgive, and what right
do they have to decide who should be forgiven, and for what.
It's not worth mentioning.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Talloola, I apologize for mentioning it. But these chariatans need to be exposed.

Cliffy, he was certainly a man of princlples. He stood with his family before all else...how human of him.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
How magnanimous of them after 28 yrs to admit what was obviously true then and today.

Scratch, for Catholic Church, 28 years is but an instance. It took them 500 years to admit that they were wrong in persecuting Galileo (RC admitted that a few years ago). Lennon should consider himself lucky it took RC only 28 years. RC must be on steroids to admit their mistake only in 28 years.

Incidentally, did Lennon ask for Vatican forgiveness? I am not aware that he did.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
It's been longer than that for many of the victim's of priest's sexual abuses to receive one penny in reparation from the vat. I guess apologies are cheaper!

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Scratch, for Catholic Church, 28 years is but an instance. It took them 500 years to admit that they were wrong in persecuting Galileo (RC admitted that a few years ago). Lennon should consider himself lucky it took RC only 28 years. RC must be on steroids to admit their mistake only in 28 years.

Incidentally, did Lennon ask for Vatican forgiveness? I am not aware that he did.

Why would he have cared?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
In the last few years of his life, Lennon had no use for religion. In his song "Imagine" he asked how much better the world would be if there were no religion.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
In the last few years of his life, Lennon had no use for religion. In his song "Imagine" he asked how much better the world would be if there were no religion.

If I am not mistakened, he wasn't saying the world would be better without religion, but just as the title says, 'imagine if there was no religion. Its easy if you try'.

Seems to me I recall an episode of WKRP in Cincinatti about this...

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If I am not mistakened, he wasn't saying the world would be better without religion, but just as the title says, 'imagine if there was no religion. Its easy if you try'.

Seems to me a recall an episode of WKRP in Cincinatti about this...

The statement in question goes back to around 1965 - when records were smashed and t-shirts were burned. "We're bigger than Jesus Christ".... Of course, it was taken out of context.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
has anyone seen the actual quotes in the vatican newspaper? I googled, looked at the VC site, nothing about forgiving John Lennon. :-(