Shocking school death statistics

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
  • [SIZE=+1]Chinese reveal shocking school death statistics[/SIZE]
China National News
Friday 21st November, 2008

Chinese officials have revealed that more than 19,000 people died in schools that collapsed when an earthquake hit Sichuan province in May.

The magnitude 8.0 earthquake left about 88,000 people dead or missing.

Children were buried in rubble when schools collapsed, raising questions about their construction.

Sichuan's vice governor Wei Hong made the announcement of the school death toll while discussing preparations for the coming winter in the zone.

Many people are still without adequate shelter for the coming freezing weather.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Hopefully the gov't will act swiftly and with care and responsibility in this crisis.

rgs

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Reading this I cannot wonder how many of our Canadian schools are built to Earthquake standards.. I recently heard an article that said that after we suffered our last big quake on Feb 28, 2001 at 6.8 the schools have not been done.. How many kids will we lose to such a catastrophe ?

Yes the situation in China is devastating and needs immediate attention. Let us hope they can help the people of the area.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Reading this I cannot wonder how many of our Canadian schools are built to Earthquake standards.. I recently heard an article that said that after we suffered our last big quake on Feb 28, 2001 at 6.8 the schools have not been done.. How many kids will we lose to such a catastrophe ?

In Canada we have this thing called "The Building Code". Every building has to be built according to the rules laid down in the building code. Some areas in Canada are more prone to have earthquakes than others and this is taken into consideration in the code. I don't think our kids are in grave danger from earthquakes.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
In Canada we have this thing called "The Building Code". Every building has to be built according to the rules laid down in the building code. Some areas in Canada are more prone to have earthquakes than others and this is taken into consideration in the code. I don't think our kids are in grave danger from earthquakes.

There maybe a code, but how often is it keep to standards or upgraded ?

Meanwhile, experts at the World Conference in Engineering in Vancouver this August drew attention to the fact 800 B.C. schools housing up to 450,000 students in the earthquake zone are in need of upgrading.

http://fsssbc.org/downloads/Van_Province_07SEP2004.pdf

The point being that we cannot just put up a building and over time expect it to stay up to new standards always being introduced or repair the neglected buildings our system does not have adequate money for.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:cool: I hope you didn't sell them the bricks, rebar, and mortar for this one, China, or yer ass is grass.

Course, you're not really in China, are you?