China sparks aircraft carrier scare .

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[SIZE=+1]China sparks aircraft carrier scare, but says it will be 'defensive'[/SIZE]
China National News
Monday 17th November, 2008
(IANS)

Refusing to scotch speculation that China is building one or more aircraft carriers, a senior Chinese defence ministry official has said if and when such a warship is built it will be used for defensive purposes.

'The question is not whether you have an aircraft carrier, but what you do with your aircraft carrier,' Major General Qian Lihua, a senior official with the ministry of defence, said in comments published here Monday.

'Navies of great powers with more than 10 aircraft carrier battle groups with strategic military objectives have a different purpose from countries with only one or two carriers used for offshore defence,' he told the Financial Times.

'Even if one day we have an aircraft carrier, unlike another country, we will not use it to pursue global deployment or global reach,' he added, in remark that were interpreted as referring to the US, which has 11 aircraft carriers deployed around the world.

The Pentagon said earlier this year that China was actively engaged in aircraft carrier research and would be able to start building one by the end of this decade.

China has issued repeated hints that it is planning to build an aircraft carrier in recent years, and according to Jane's Defence Weekly recently began training 50 pilots for fixed-wing carrier-based aircraft.

A South Korean newspaper earlier this year reported that a mid-sized carrier was due to be completed by 2010, and a large nuclear-powered one by 2020, while other analysts say China may already be working on three carriers, but that none is likely to be operational before 2015.

'The navy of any great power has the dream to have one or more aircraft carriers,' Qian said.

Qian also said it was 'unreasonable' for Western countries to ask Beijing to increase contributions to peacekeeping missions while maintaining curbs on arms exports imposed in 1989.

'US and EU (European Union) countries on one hand ask us to send more troops to peacekeeping operations overseas, while on the other, they still have such arms sales embargoes on China. I think that is quite unreasonable,' he said.

According to the British media, China's main naval priority is to deter American intervention in any conflict over Taiwan.

However, unlike India, China does not have aircraft carriers because it wants to balance out American concerns over its rapidly increasing submarine fleet targeted at American battle groups.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
So what, great. System works for anyone who can afford em. Anything that big shows up on spy photo anyway so why all the hype

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Well.

All of this construction going on of `weapons capable of mass destruction` leaves a smell of war in the air.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
One would have to give due consideration to the `launching pad`. Yet in my opinion it would pass.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
With all due respect to you,

Melamine may or may not be in surplus now.

This was an act of sabotage.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
it'll probably catch fire and sink.

If it doesn't, why shouldn't they have aircraft carriers? anyone who thinks this is akin to saddam hussein's WMDs (when we believed they actually existed) is wrong.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I don't see why they shouldn't build them... they're a big country, with big influence, and they will need some methods of quick deployment around their borders.

The fearmongering of them possibly using them as an offense weapon isn't that big of a deal.... they, like everything else, can be destroyed if it comes to that point.

Take the Bismarck as an example.

Added:

And if one or two countries are allowed to run around the globe with multiple aircraft carriers, why shouldn't they? Because we're told their the bad guys? Well there are bad guys in every aspect of our alliances and neighbors who have the same technology and it only takes one decision to turn that technology against anybody they wish, including their allies.

And alliances never last forever..... so big deal for them making carriers.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Aircraft carriers are not only for defensive purposes, what do you think the fighter jets are for?

Interception of other aircraft, sinking of other enemy vessels, air support for ground forces incase of land invasion..... the list goes on. They can be used as offense, but as stated in my above post.... although it might be a bit of a fight, anything can be taken out of commission.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
With torpedoes these days, one spread of them will put any carrier to the bottom these days. They are made of iron...and they will sink.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Interception of other aircraft, sinking of other enemy vessels, air support for ground forces incase of land invasion..... the list goes on. They can be used as offense, but as stated in my above post.... although it might be a bit of a fight, anything can be taken out of commission.

I realize that, I was replying to scratch's posting stating they will only be used for defensive purposes... that's pretty naive. I'm sure these Aircrafts carriers will be parked in the Taiwan Staright for some reason...