Sea ice growing at fastest pace on record

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
Sea Ice Growing at Fastest Pace on Record

By: malterwitty
Tags: SCIENCE/HEALTH

An abnormally cool Arctic is seeing dramatic changes to ice levels. In sharp contrast to the rapid melting seen last year, the amount of global sea ice has rebounded sharply and is now growing rapidly. The total amount of ice, which set a record low value last year, grew in October at the fastest pace since record-keeping began in 1979.
DailyTech - Sea Ice Growing at Fastest Pace on Record

wonder what taxes "they" can come up with to fix this "man made" problem....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It seems that may have something to do with global cooling, you've heard of that problem right, the world has been talking about it for years, Al Gore wrote a book about it to. Hey! People! leave them them trees alone, you're just another prick in the wall, oh what? certainly the topic, another LITTLE ICE AGE

Reactions: Outta here

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
So after getting so worried about Polar Bears not having any flows to walk on, it turns out they're not gonna have any watering holes to hunt in.

Sheesh, try and get a grip on this world. Nothin' doin'.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
So after getting so worried about Polar Bears not having any flows to walk on, it turns out they're not gonna have any watering holes to hunt in.

Sheesh, try and get a grip on this world. Nothin' doin'.

Great that will creat man jobs to drill big holes for the bears to be able to hunt.....:smile:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The bears would hunt the men if that means anything.

Best fire up the old Chevy then and let it idle throughout the winter then.....or is that going to make it even colder?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Global Warming, Global cooling, Global dimming. It's just too much to keep up with.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Could you imagine anyone in control of climate? We'd all be dead within the year. The scientific and the political machines obviously know nothing about global climate mechanics. They remind me of children fighting over whether the window should be up or down.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So, just because we read it on a blog seems to be standard fare these days I see...what is this fastest rate since 1979? It should be growing fast right now.

You folks can't spot the error in here?
However, the mean anomaly-- defined as the difference between the current area and the seasonally-adjusted average-- changes much slower, and generally varies by only 2-3 million square kilometers
A mean anomaly is not seasonally adjusted. A mean anomaly is the deviation from a long term average. You can have yearly anomalies, so the accumulated rainfall in one year is 500 mm, when the long term average is 590.2. Then you have an anomaly of -90.2 for that year. Or you can have monthly anomalies. What this blog has put forth is a seasonally adjusted mean anomaly, and that makes all the difference. Seasonally adjusted means you remove the signal, the very strong signal, that is present in one year. You know, the tilt of the Earth that means the difference between 32°C in July and -15°C on New Years eve? So, they're comparing the growth in October, to the seasonally adjusted mean anomaly. October is a time when the ice is growing rapidly after the Arctic summer, and they're comparing it to a trend that has that signal removed.

Big freaking difference. Here's what the Arctic sea ice actually looks like right now.

Also, look at November. Quite a difference a month can make, no? Un-freaking believable. Or maybe it really is that believable to some people...

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
So, just because we read it on a blog seems to be standard fare these days I see...what is this fastest rate since 1979? It should be growing fast right now.

You folks can't spot the error in here?
A mean anomaly is not seasonally adjusted. A mean anomaly is the deviation from a long term average. You can have yearly anomalies, so the accumulated rainfall in one year is 500 mm, when the long term average is 590.2. Then you have an anomaly of -90.2 for that year. Or you can have monthly anomalies. What this blog has put forth is a seasonally adjusted mean anomaly, and that makes all the difference. Seasonally adjusted means you remove the signal, the very strong signal, that is present in one year. You know, the tilt of the Earth that means the difference between 32°C in July and -15°C on New Years eve? So, they're comparing the growth in October, to the seasonally adjusted mean anomaly. October is a time when the ice is growing rapidly after the Arctic summer, and they're comparing it to a trend that has that signal removed.

Big freaking difference. Here's what the Arctic sea ice actually looks like right now.

Also, look at November. Quite a difference a month can make, no? Un-freaking believable. Or maybe it really is that believable to some people...

So what are you saying? :smile: I'v seen some charts somewhere that suggest we may experience seasonal annomolies for the next decade on our way to a cyclical cold period of historic record. It happens. I guess.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
What I'm saying is, don't get so excited about one month. It's statistically insignificant.

And like my father told me when I was a kid, don't believe everything you see on TV. That applies to internet too! :D

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
ppl always make big deals outta everything. from what i can remember the earth getting warm them cooling itself down is natural. example: when i was living in ny (which i did for 19 yrs) i had some cold lots of snow kinda winters, then there would b a time where it would hardly snow at all, then back to lots of snow again. i grew up with that happening so idk it seems kinda normal to me

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Sea Ice Growing at Fastest Pace on Record

An abnormally cool Arctic is seeing dramatic changes to ice levels......

It's not abnormal.... I've been saying this for at least the last two years.... geez scientists are dumb.... not to mention slow.

Oh well, what can you expect when you have a bunch of people claiming to be big brain wiz heads who still use primitive methods of understanding.

Typical.... man I wish the world was as smart as I..... but I can only do so much.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
:smile:
What I'm saying is, don't get so excited about one month. It's statistically insignificant.

And like my father told me when I was a kid, don't believe everything you see on TV. That applies to internet too! :D

Isn't global warming on TV a lot Tonnington? How dos we tell the quality stuff from the bad stuff? All the charts and all the experts are always confusing us with numbers and squiggly lines, it's getting cold here right now man. And you're on the internet.
Still it's sound advice I guess.:smile: