Family outraged after Ont. girl buried without brain

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Family outraged after Ont. girl buried without brain

The family of a young girl who died suddenly last month wants to know why coroners at a London, Ont., hospital removed her brain during the autopsy but didn't tell them until after the girl was buried.

Sanja Pandzic, 7, was killed by an unexpected heart problem, doctors told her family. The young girl died in hospital after losing consciousness at her family home in Woodstock, Ont., on Oct. 23.

"[They] said that it was a heart problem, so they're going to need to look into it more and see what's going on," Sanja's brother, Jasmin, told CBC's As It Happens Thursday.

"They wanted to check more deeper into it. They didn't say anything about the brain" following her death, he said.

Jasmin's mother, Dragica, said she gave the Woodstock hospital where Sanja died permission to send the body to University Hospital in London for an autopsy.

The girl's body was returned and buried less than a week later in a traditional Islamic ceremony, under the assumption that she was being interred with all of her organs.

Two days after the funeral, Dragica received the news that Sanja's brain had been kept at the London hospital for further testing.

The Woodstock doctor called the family at home and told them "the papers said about the autopsy that they still had the brain of my sister…at the University Hospital in the autopsy department," Jasmin said, speaking for his mother throughout the interview as she cried quietly.

"They didn't tell us anything before that."

When he spoke to the regional supervising coroner for West London, Dr. Rick Mann, Jasmin said the doctor told him "that to do more tests on the brain will save other kids lives."

Dragica, whose religious beliefs dictate that the bodies of the dead must be buried whole, said the news was shocking.

"I asked 'Who give you permission to touch her brain?'…and [Mann] told me, 'We need brain for find something,'" she said.

She said the doctor said "that he must keep that brain for more time. It's hard for me — I get one shock when my girl passed away, and other shock was when he told me a part of her body is still in hospital."

Mann told the CBC on Thursday that the coroner's office is entitled to keep organs without family permission, and that the investigation into Sanja's death is ongoing.

He is scheduled to appear on As It Happens Friday evening to discuss the issue.

No papers were ever signed that would give doctors permission to keep Sanja's organs, Jasmin said. His family now wonders if there are other parts the girl might be missing.

"If they took the brain, how do we now not know they didn't keep the heart or a kidney or something?"

Lawyers have told the family they must gather paperwork to prove that the London hospital still has Sanja's brain in order to get it back.

Meanwhile, the funeral home that buried the little girl has offered to pick up her brain from the hospital and bury it a few feet above the casket so as not to disturb the grave.

"They [doctors] I think suggested to cremate it and my mom said no, because she didn't let her daughter's body, whole body, get cremated, so why should she let them cremate the brain," Jasmin said.

What do you think? Are they over reacting or do they have every right to have their daughter's brain and they should have returned her entire body back for burial?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Depends.....did she need it?

Was she going to find the cure for HIV while she was under the ground?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Depends.....did she need it?

Was she going to find the cure for HIV while she was under the ground?

And they couldn't hang onto someone else's brain from a family who didn't care to do that?

In my opinion, regardless of their religious views or anybody else's, it's their right to have every speck of their child returned to them. If you have to return the bodies of the dead to families so they can have their religious rituals of burying their loved ones by law, then you follow everybody's religious rituals and burial procedures to a tee..... you can't just pick and choose how you deal with the situation for some personal agenda of being the next scientist to figure out some illness.....

you can probably save all kinds of lives by using somenoe's body and organs as you wish, but if we were allowed to follow that mentality, then we'd still have the mentally challenged and minorities being test subjects like the old days..... we'd have people never seeing their loved ones' bodies again all because of the chase of a scientific discovery.

Maybe if you were lucky, you'd get a bucket of the remains they couldn't use anymore and you could bury that.

The parents brought the child into the world, they should have every right to have every last part of their child to return back to the earth..... death should have no change on those rights and the state shouldn't have any position to harvest organs/keep parts of your child for their own personal agendas. It doesn't matter if it may save more lives.... if they want to save more lives, then they can give up their own bodies or their own children when they die.

If they wanted to keep the brain, they should have specifically asked to do so and not just take it and claim the parents can't do anything about it. It's one thing to agree to an autopsy, it's another thing to agree to them keeping parts of your child after the autopsy is complete.

I'm not a follower of any paticular religion, but I am not a donor, I don't like the concept of blood transfusions, and I'm not all that keen on the thought of an autopsy done on my body..... let alone some jerk keeping parts of my body for their own sick little science fair projects.

I came into this world in one piece, I'll damn well rot back into the ground in one piece...... and unless any of my children request to be a donor or be subjected to tests after they die, they will be treated in the same fashion...... and if I ever find out that someone took organs out of my children for their own objectives, they best keep a distance of 50 feet from me, cuz I'll rip those damn organs right out of their own body as payback.

Bottom line for me: If you want to do something like the above, YOU ASK!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Somebody in the coroners office has made a mistake. They should have mentioned before releasing the body for buriel that not all of it was there.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I think this is absolutely unacceptable. If they needed to do further testing, they should have asked if they could keep the brain. Certain religions require their followers to be burried intact. This wasn't an organ donation. I can't believe anyone would think this was ok.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I think this is absolutely unacceptable. If they needed to do further testing, they should have asked if they could keep the brain. Certain religions require their followers to be burried intact. This wasn't an organ donation. I can't believe anyone would think this was ok.

I can't believe it either. I mean, autopsy doesn't mean they get to keep organs for the interns to poke during some lab or something.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
They were given permission to autopsy, not given the body for medical research, seems pretty simple to me.

I think if they've hit the point where they can't understand the needs of families at a time like this, they need to find a new profession.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I think this story is self explanatory. Is the brain still around or have the Christians eaten it yet?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Wasn't and isn't very f*ckin funny.

Why?

Do you need me to post the poem about crusaders eating Muslims again?

Maybe then you would see the humour? :lol:

Here you go:

"Several Christian sources of the First Crusade report instances of cannibalism. Specifically, starving crusaders were reported to have eaten their fallen Muslim opponants. Although such behavior was undoubtedly very rare, sources claim that Muslims spread terrifying rumors of crusaders "who fed very greedily on the bodies of saracens." - source

The above is apologetic and not well researched. This is from the actual cannibal Christians themselves:

"Now lithe and listen lordlings, while the Christians' hap I tell,
That, as they lay in leaguer, from hunger them befell.
In evil case the army stood, their stores of food were spent:
Peter the holy Hermit, he sat before his tent:
Then came to him the King Tafur, and with him fifty score
Of men-at-arms, not one of them but hunger gnawed him sore.
'Thou holy Hermit, counsel us, and help us at our need;
Help, for God's grace, these starving men with wherewithal to feed.'
But Peter answered, 'Out, ye drones, a helpless pack that cry,
While all unburied round about the slaughtered Paynim lie.
A dainty dish is Paynim flesh, with salt and roasting due.'
'Now by my fay,' quoth King Tafur, 'the Hermit sayeth true.'
Then fared he forth the Hermit's tent, and sent his menye out,
More than ten thousand, where in heaps the Paynim lay about.
They hewed the corpses limb from limb, and disembowelled clean,
And there was sodden meat and roast, to blunt their hunger keen:
Right savory fare it seemed there; they smacked their lips and spake,--
Farewell to fasts: a daintier meal than this who asks to make?
'Tis sweeter far than porker's flesh, or bacon seethed in grease.
Let's make good cheer, and feast us here, till life and hunger cease.'" source

:lol: See, so the girl in the OP was Muslim which makes my comment funny.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
shows how much of a moron you are when you can make light of a little girls death and the families tragedy.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
shows how much of a moron you are when you can make light of a little girls death and the families tragedy.

I was making fun of Christians not the little girl. I feel sorry for her. If she had died in an Islamic country I'm sure she would have had her religious beliefs respected.

I also meant my comment as a warning to our Muslim friends here. Though I don't agree with or believe in their religion I also don't think their liberty should be violated.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
and what does what happened to this little girl and her family have to do with christians?