Russia to station missiles near Poland

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Russia to station missiles near Poland

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian President Dmitry Medvedev pledged on Wednesday to station new missiles near Poland's border in response to U.S. plans for an anti-missile system and proposed extending the presidential term to six years from four.

In an assertive first annual address to the nation, he defended Russia's war with Georgia, appealed to nationalism and attacked Washington's "selfish" foreign policy and "economic blunders" which he said caused the global financial crisis.

The harsh tone and repeated attacks on the United States the day after Democrat Barack Obama's electoral victory surprised some observers who had expected a more liberal style and more detail on how Russia would tackle a financial crisis.

"To neutralize -- if necessary -- the (U.S.) anti-missile system, an Iskander missile system will be deployed in the Kaliningrad region," Medvedev said, referring to a Russian enclave bordering European Union members Poland and Lithuania.

Russia would electronically jam the U.S. system, parts of which are due to be deployed in Poland and the Czech Republic, and Moscow would scrap plans to stand down three Cold War-era nuclear missile regiments, the president said.

"Medvedev was very assertive in his delivery," said Ronald Smith, chief strategist at Alfa Bank in Moscow. "(He) appeared to be staking out strong positions on various issues ahead of the entry of the new American presidential administration."

Poland played down the Russian plan. "We have been used to the fact that Russia growls every now and then," Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said at a news conference in Warsaw. "I would not give too much meaning to this declaration."

In Prague, Czech Foreign Minister Karel Schwarzenberg told Reuters the Russian deployment would worsen the atmosphere for dialogue. Lithuanian President Valdus Adamkus said in a statement the Russian plan was beyond comprehension.

Russia has said the missile shield is a threat to it's own security although the U.S. has denied this -- a stance it reiterated on Wednesday.

"These are interceptors and they are designed to protect our European allies as well as the continental United States from an emerging ballistic missile threat from the Middle East," Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman told reporters.

Medvedev's 85-minute address also included surprise proposals to extend the presidential term from four to six years, a move that may benefit his predecessor Vladimir Putin.

Still Russia's most popular politician, Putin stepped down in May after serving the maximum two consecutive terms allowed, but is free to return for another two terms when Medvedev's four years in power end in 2012.

"This is being prepared so that Putin can return for 12 years, so two six-year terms," said Olga Kryshtanovskaya, a Russian political analyst.

Medvedev said a longer term was needed to allow the head of state to meet challenges including economic and military reform and the creation of a stable democracy. A Kremlin aide said the change would not apply to the term Medvedev is serving now.

Putin, now a highly influential prime minister, listened attentively from the front row of the audience in the grand, marble-clad St George Hall of the Kremlin.

More...

Oh great.... :-?

In all fairness to the Russians the USA missile defence system is obviously meant to prevent a retributive counter attack and so obviously gives the USA a decisive advantage against Russia. That is very obvious. It essential alters the balance of mutually assured destruction which means the USA could strike first with relative impunity. Russia does have to address that issue. I know our stupid media will completely miss that point and start spewing out propaganda. As a comparison, imagine what would happen if Russia tried to put anti-missiles in Canada and Mexico? The idiot public here would have no problem seeing that as a first strike weapon. How odd they expect that Russia should just accept US aggression?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Oh great.... :-?

In all fairness to the Russians the USA missile defence system is obviously meant to prevent a retributive counter attack and so obviously gives the USA a decisive advantage against Russia. That is very obvious. It essential alters the balance of mutually assured destruction which means the USA could strike first with relative impunity. Russia does have to address that issue. I know our stupid media will completely miss that point and start spewing out propaganda. As a comparison, imagine what would happen if Russia tried to put anti-missiles in Canada and Mexico? The idiot public here would have no problem seeing that as a first strike weapon. How odd they expect that Russia should just accept US aggression?

I see them having full rights to do this..... they can claim they're for defense and only to shoot down other missiles, but those defense missiles can be retro-fitted to suit anything the US wants, which is the issue in question. It doesn't matter how diplomatic Russia is in trying to prevent this plan from happening, the US is going to do it regardless, therefore this is their only logical course of action.

And yes, if Russia pulled the same stunt, everybody would be in an uproar.... many are already in an uproar over them using this tactic to counter the "anti-missile shields."

The US was pissy when they sent weapons to Cuba a while back, now the US is doing the same thing and expect Russia to think it's ok?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
So why would Russia even have to say that those missiles were to counter the US system, they could just say they were there for the very same reasons the US is saying theirs are there, defence against rouge nations, it isn't like the US would try and intercept anything headed for Russia anyway.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Seems to me that someone may want to restart the cold war before they leave office....I wonder if Haliburton would make any money from this.....hmmmmm?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well I understand the concept of missle defense I think the US stationing them in Poland and other Eastern Europe countries is an aggressive stance. However I am not too involved on the strategy of positioning these things.

Perhaps Obama can have one of those Regan-Gorbachev summits to head this off.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Perhaps Obama can have one of those Regan-Gorbachev summits to head this off.

I'm not sure that would help. From the looks of it Putin is becoming a despot and making massive power grabs. If this is true then just like Bush he will need fear on his side. Obama won't be able to stop anything in that climate. I think the chance for peace might be over. I hope I'm wrong.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
The yanks do this type of thing all the time, so why can't the Russians??? Man the yanks are insecure...

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
The yanks do this type of thing all the time, so why can't the Russians??? Man the yanks are insecure...

One thing for sure is that if the Yanks were not next door like they are, the Ruskys would be eyeing Canada like a wolf looking at its next catch.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
One thing for sure is that if the Yanks were not next door like they are, the Ruskys would be eyeing Canada like a wolf looking at its next catch.
LOL At least they would know a land invasion could only take place in the winter, better a wolf in wolf's clothing that a sheep in that attire. Smiling while they hold a sword behind their back. Besides Russia probably has all the muskeg they need.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
LOL At least they would know a land invasion could only take place in the winter, better a wolf in wolf's clothing that a sheep in that attire. Smiling while they hold a sword behind their back. Besides Russia probably has all the muskeg they need.

The Ruskis have a dismal record in carrying for their people. Who would want them next door, a bunch of hypocrites chewing on sausage and drinking Vodka...

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Hopefully Obama reconsiders this when he is in power, no need in aggravating the Russians without an absolute need to.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I'm not sure that would help. From the looks of it Putin is becoming a despot and making massive power grabs. If this is true then just like Bush he will need fear on his side. Obama won't be able to stop anything in that climate. I think the chance for peace might be over. I hope I'm wrong.

There is in both Putin and Medvedev leadership qualities that can and is being read by the masses as competance and carriage far surpassing the mean western political puppet.
Putin secured power over a decade ago, Putin is power and capability and I think there are many in Russia who are more than capable of not repeating the mistakes of the Russian past or the horrors of war on its soil. If I were Russian I'd be working tirelessly to see the end of Anglo/American hegemony in all spheres. I think far more Russians are familiar with real fear and real misery and real war than Americans and westerners in general. While Bush required manufactured mass media delivered corporate professional fear Putin only has to point west at Nato and the warmonger bankers of the IMF and WB and the overt threat delivered by the USA and the failing flailing capitalist monsters of neo-liberal globalists who they only barely prevented from ruining Russia entirely in the ninties. My point is that Putin and Medvedev can inspire Russians honestly and openly because they know directly the cost of dealing with imperialism Yankee style.
There never was a chance for peace, Obamas job is to soft sell accellarated warfare to the expendable American consumer slaves, he is to entice them to war in greater numbers for greater profit and the last chance to rule the world. He'll make a very fine defender of American values and he will embroil the planet in war and destruction like there never has been. Obamas deification is nearing completion, his mission, a messianic odessy to lead the American people back to the land of hope with his magic, change.As I see it, like all the other times, they'll get the nickles and dimes alright, but nothing else except more of less.
My interest is in a multipolar world with strong regional economic and political autonomy and the heavy regulation of corporate and financial interests or their extermination either way is fine by me. We can forget being saved by the calibre of statesmen those Russians have, it ain't going to happen in a system that's designed to weed them out early in the western political process. We don't select for competance, we select for pliability, and by we I mean the top class. Obama is pliable dung.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
There is in both Putin and Medvedev leadership qualities that can and is being read by the masses as competance and carriage far surpassing the mean western political puppet.
Putin secured power over a decade ago, Putin is power and capability and I think there are many in Russia who are more than capable of not repeating the mistakes of the Russian past or the horrors of war on its soil. If I were Russian I'd be working tirelessly to see the end of Anglo/American hegemony in all spheres. I think far more Russians are familiar with real fear and real misery and real war than Americans and westerners in general. While Bush required manufactured mass media delivered corporate professional fear Putin only has to point west at Nato and the warmonger bankers of the IMF and WB and the overt threat delivered by the USA and the failing flailing capitalist monsters of neo-liberal globalists who they only barely prevented from ruining Russia entirely in the ninties. My point is that Putin and Medvedev can inspire Russians honestly and openly because they know directly the cost of dealing with imperialism Yankee style.
There never was a chance for peace, Obamas job is to soft sell accellarated warfare to the expendable American consumer slaves, he is to entice them to war in greater numbers for greater profit and the last chance to rule the world. He'll make a very fine defender of American values and he will embroil the planet in war and destruction like there never has been. Obamas deification is nearing completion, his mission, a messianic odessy to lead the American people back to the land of hope with his magic, change.As I see it, like all the other times, they'll get the nickles and dimes alright, but nothing else except more of less.
My interest is in a multipolar world with strong regional economic and political autonomy and the heavy regulation of corporate and financial interests or their extermination either way is fine by me. We can forget being saved by the calibre of statesmen those Russians have, it ain't going to happen in a system that's designed to weed them out early in the western political process. We don't select for competance, we select for pliability, and by we I mean the top class. Obama is pliable dung.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
LOL, what an idiotic thing to say. Do you me to start on the greeks????

We are talking about Governments not the people........The Ruskys don’t hold the light for the Greeks on democracy.......if anything Democracy is DED in Russia........
The Greeks introduced democracy to the world..................

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
We are talking about Governments not the people........The Ruskys don’t hold the light for the Greeks on democracy.......if anything Democracy is DED in Russia........
The Greeks introduced democracy to the world..................

Do you wear a lot of hair gel by chance? :smile: Just teasing you man, don't spaz