Man sets self aflame at Seattle college and dies

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

An investigator carries a fire extinguisher as another collects items left behind at the University of Washington, in Seattle, Thursday, Oct. 30, 2008.

CTV.ca | Man sets self aflame at Seattle college and dies

SEATTLE -- A 61-year-old former University of Washington staff member doused himself with gasoline and set himself ablaze Thursday in the midst of a crowded campus plaza. He died a short time later.

The man, who authorities did not immediately identify, died shortly after he was brought to Harborview Medical Center, hospital spokeswoman Susan Gregg-Hanson said.

"We do not know why he did it," said UW Assistant Police Chief Ralph Robinson, adding the man suffered second- and third-degree burns. "That's a big mystery."

The man had been part of the university's support staff, Robinson said. He said he didn't know what department the man worked in, or when or why he left.

Witnesses in Red Square, a large brick plaza at the center of the Seattle campus, reported seeing "this big flame and a ball of fire" around 1 p.m. Thursday, Robinson said.

Student Trevor Preston said he was walking out of a library when he saw the man in the middle of the plaza pouring liquid on himself from a large container.

"Everyone was eyeing him because we couldn't comprehend that he was actually pouring gas on himself," Preston said.

One onlooker ran toward the man in an apparent attempt to stop him, but slipped on the liquid before he could reach him, witnesses said.

Student Dan Kim said the man, who appeared to be alone, "lit a match and all of a sudden everything went up in flames, including himself. He dropped down onto the ground. He was rolling on the ground."

Several people, including student Peter Chung, rushed toward the man and tried to smother the flames with their jackets, shirts and other clothing. A few ran to get fire extinguishers, he said.

"A bunch of us used our water bottles to try to kill the fire," Chung said.

One man took off his jeans and stood in his boxers trying to douse the flames, witnesses said.

Dan Kim said the badly burned man was mumbling incoherently when the flames were finally put out. Kim said he heard the man say "Oh my God" before he was put into an ambulance.

Robinson said no campus demonstrations had been going on at the time and that "it appears this was just a single event."

Well there's something you don't see everyday.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
He was trying to send a message, that's for sure. Otherwise he'd simply have o.d on something in his home. Hopefully he left a note somewhere.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I guess that is a person's prerogative: to be or not to be. As long as he didn't endanger anyone else .......

He absolutely did endanger others. Like the guy who slipped in fuel, and every last person who tried to rescue him. It would have been exceedingly easy for any one of those people to catch fire and be badly burned too.

Not to mention the emotional damage.

If you want to kill yourself, it may be your perogative, but, find a secluded place to do it, not a public square.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
He absolutely did endanger others. Like the guy who slipped in fuel, and every last person who tried to rescue him. It would have been exceedingly easy for any one of those people to catch fire and be badly burned too.

If you want to kill yourself, it may be your perogative, but, find a secluded place to do it, not a public square.
Valuable advice

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

Meh, if I'm gonna take myself out, I'm going out with a bang so everybody knows.... but I won't be setting myself on fire.... I already escaped that once and it didn't look like much fun.

But I'm not suicidal so that won't be happening.... for now (Who knows what the future will hold for us all)

But as I see it, he didn't endanger others, other's endangered themselves by deciding to help..... if there was a law where you have to save or help someone in danger, then you maybe right, but they made their own decisions, just like he did.

Sure the fire could have spread, but we don't know enough details on those possibilities, such as the surrounding area where he burned himself (Anything flamable or would the fuel just burn out after some time.)

As for emotional damage? Meh.... the world sucks and sometimes that suckyness it put right in front of you.... that's life.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Alzheimer's runs in my family. I have an out plan. It won't involve traumatizing others like that.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Alzheimer's runs in my family. I have an out plan. It won't involve traumatizing others like that.

Serious question, Karrie.
How will you know when it's time?
Usually, it slips up on one, and by the time it taps you on the shoulder, you're too far gone to see.
Just a personal observation as a friend of a fellow who went that way.; I seriously hope it doesn't happen to you. If it does, you need a good friend you can depend on.
jeez we're getting morbid.
eh

:-|

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Serious question, Karrie.
How will you know when it's time?
Usually, it slips up on one, and by the time it taps you on the shoulder, you're too far gone to see.
Just a personal observation as a friend of a fellow who went that way.; I seriously hope it doesn't happen to you. If it does, you need a good friend you can depend on.
jeez we're getting morbid.
eh

:-|

There are usually some lucid days that come along with the diagnosis. When I find out, when I know it's the inevitable, I'll take a day when I'm 'me', and go to sleep, as myself. If I'm already too far gone, well, I'd never put that on someone else. Someone who's gone already won't know that someone else is helping out. I can't even fathom the fear of someone helping you end your days when you don't remember that you want them ended, or the burden that would put on someone. Nasty.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Karrie - you're still far too young to be making plans like that...with medical advancements increasing exponentially, there's no reason to believe there won't be a way to at least treat this illness if not cure it by the time you're staring it down.

8O <--- karrie - staring down Alzheimers!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie - you're still far too young to be making plans like that...with medical advancements increasing exponentially, there's no reason to believe there won't be a way to at least treat this illness if not cure it by the time you're staring it down.

8O <--- karrie - staring down Alzheimers!

Oh definitely. But, if I hit that point where I'm losing myself, and no cure has yet been found, then the damage has already been done. It's kind of a done deal at that point.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Oh definitely. But, if I hit that point where I'm losing myself, and no cure has yet been found, then the damage has already been done. It's kind of a done deal at that point.

Well one reported thing I found that fights and prevents Alzheimer's that was on the ol tele here in the Maritimes was the computer/internet/playing stimulating video games that makes your brain keep active.

A local Retirement home had placed a few computers and a Nintendo Wii in the home and they're a popular hit with many who live there. I can't remember the paticular tests they did, but I do remember they did a few comparisons and there were some very noticable benifits in fighting memory loss, etc.

Keeping the brain active beyond the time your physical abilities diminish is the key they say. They showed a couple of guys who Message their friends over in the UK on a daily basis and when they continually tested them they remembered things a lot better then prior to introducing these devices.

Let me see if I can find the source or a similar one:

Nope, but these will do:

Computer-based 'Games' Enhance Mental Function In Patients With Alzheimer's
Computer-based 'Games' Enhance Mental Function In Patients With Alzheimer's

^ A bit outdated as this report was in 2006 and more has been done since then

Here's a study by professors from Dalhousie and St. Marys Universities:

Can Computers Slow Alzheimer’s Toll?
NSERC - Can Computers Slow Alzheimer’s Toll?

Quickly skimming through these reports that don't exactly match up with what I seen a few months ago, but these are still promising none the less. In what I did see a few months ago on the local news was that they have found those who keep their brains continually active by learning and keeping up to date with technology, such as computers and the internet, actually showed signs of possibly preventing Alzheimer's from ever happening and those who have started to show signs have pretty well halted it's progression when introduced to things like the internet, playing physical video games and talking to others on messengers.

So you and everybody else on these forums could very well be doing all that is required to prevent Alzheimer's from ever having a foothold in our minds in the future.

I'm not a big expert on Alzheimer's, but I do remember hearing things here and there and the above was one of those things. As a friendly suggestion I would recommend you look into these approaches in a bit more detail.... you might find it's not all a lost cause without some medication involved.....

One thing I do remember was that they claimed that if the brain isn't active, if the person stops learning, stops keeping up to date with the technology like cells, computers, internet, etc.... then it greatly increased the chances and progression of Alzheimer's. It is as though the mind gives up and starts to regress.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

As I said, if he doesn't endanger anyone else it's his prerogative. (I didn't read the entire thing :) )

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well one reported thing I found that fights and prevents Alzheimer's that was on the ol tele here in the Maritimes was the computer/internet/playing stimulating video games that makes your brain keep active.

My family do puzzles, take courses, read like crazy, and I try to make sure I'm always, always, learning something new, for precisely that reason.