Study: Half of U.S. doctors prescribe placebos

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Study: Half of U.S. doctors prescribe placebos - Nova Scotia News - TheChronicleHerald.ca

TORONTO — We may be in the era of evidence-based medicine, but a new study suggests doctors are still falling back on a habit of yore — prescribing placebos. And they may be doing it with surprising frequency.

The study, based on a survey of U.S. doctors, found that between 46 per cent and 58 per cent of responding physicians prescribed treatments they knew weren’t medically likely to improve the health of their patients. And 62 per cent saw no ethical dilemmas in doing so.

One of the study co-authors, Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, admitted he hadn’t expected the high rate of placebo use.

"The notion that 50 per cent of American doctors do this two to three or more times a month I think is very, very surprising," said Emanuel, chair of the department of bioethics at the U.S. National Centers for Health in Bethesda, Md.

"That’s a high number."

The survey didn’t poll Canadian doctors. And Arthur Schafer, director of the Centre for Professional and Applied Ethics at the University of Manitoba, said to his knowledge there are no data on whether or how often Canadian physicians prescribe placebos.

But Schafer said he suspects that when it comes to use of placebos, Canadian doctors don’t differ much from their U.S. counterparts.

"I think this is deeply unethical. Expensive, dangerous, deceptive and wrong. It’s bad medicine," he said from Winnipeg.

The study, published today in the British Medical Journal, is based on survey responses from 679 doctors who specialize in internal medicine or rheumatology. Those specialties were selected because these doctors routinely see patients with debilitating and hard to manage chronic conditions, the authors said.

Most of the doctors who reported prescribing placebos didn’t resort to the sugar pills or saline solutions that doctors in bygone eras might have kept close at hand for patients with conditions for which no real therapy existed. Instead, they acknowledged prescribing over-the-counter pain medications (41 per cent), vitamins (38 per cent), sedatives (13 per cent) and antibiotics (13 per cent).

It is a well-known phenomenon that giving people something — even something as innocuous as sugar pills — will produce beneficial results in some of them. It’s thought that the mere notion of being treated, even with a sham therapy, produces an expectation of healing that has a beneficial psychological effect.

No, I call it scamming patients into buying useless products to put money into the pockets of Pharmacutical Companies..... then the doctor get's a nice little slice of the pie each time they do.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Actually, there are quite a few patients who DEMAND medication for things, and won't stop until they get it. Some have been known to lodge complaints against their doctors for not doing so.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
evidence based medicine proves time and time again that the placebo effect is a powerful tool for the medical practice. For people unwilling to directly and consciously tap into the healing power of their minds, how do you help them do so without being obvious that what you're aiming for is a placebo effect? For many people it bears a connotation of tricking a weak mind, rather than the reality of what it is... finding a way to engage a strong one.

I hear what you say about money going unnecessarily to pharm companies, but, what is the answer?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I really hope it's not antibiotics they're prescribing...

Just prescribe them glucose pills and then list the ingredient using the IUPAC name...

I've pondered a multi-vitamin/herbal supplement, that I would call Placebo. The marketing trick is to sell the idea Karrie mentions...

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
evidence based medicine proves time and time again that the placebo effect is a powerful tool for the medical practice. For people unwilling to directly and consciously tap into the healing power of their minds, how do you help them do so without being obvious that what you're aiming for is a placebo effect? For many people it bears a connotation of tricking a weak mind, rather than the reality of what it is... finding a way to engage a strong one.

I hear what you say about money going unnecessarily to pharm companies, but, what is the answer?

Education.... or refusing to continue as their family doctor if they will not bother to listen to their advice for starters.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Simple answer: Price.

Prax,
I have been taking the same anxiolytic for 37 years now. I have been told by my GPs and p-docs that at different times placebos have been substituted without my knowledge. I noticed a difference in the effect but the price was the same whether it was generic, placebo or the original manufacturer.
Actually it was, as it was explained to me (by my current doctor) a `double-double blind Rx` i.e., some patients got a full dose of the real thing, some got half & half and some got placebos.
This has happened in Quebec and Ontario.

Back to you.

BTW, this was idiotic on the part of the doctors considering how long I have been taking this drug. Playing with an Rx of this kind can be fatal.
Substitution without consent is now a criminal offence in each province.

regards,
scratch

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Prax,
I have been taking the same anxiolytic for 37 years now. I have been told by my GPs and p-docs that at different times placebos have been substituted without my knowledge. I noticed a difference in the effect but the price was the same whether it was generic, placebo or the original manufacturer.
Actually it was, as it was explained to me (by my current doctor) a `double-double blind Rx` i.e., some patients got a full dose of the real thing, some got half & half and some got placebos.
This has happened in Quebec and Ontario.

Back to you.

BTW, this was idiotic on the part of the doctors considering how long I have been taking this drug. Playing with an Rx of this kind can be fatal.
Substitution without consent is now a criminal offence in each province.

regards,
scratch

Indeed, I'd be cracking some nuts over that.....

But anyways, I said price because a while back when I was thrown on anti-depressants, the brand name of the one I was one was Celexa, but my doctor written me up for the generic brand of that drug, which was about $40 cheaper then the actual brand and worked the exact same.

I was saying price in regards to the comment above in regards to wanting the generic brand over the actual brand name..... I wasn't directly commenting on placebo stuff. You asked if one could tell the difference and in my personal experience, price was a big difference.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Indeed, I'd be cracking some nuts over that.....

But anyways, I said price because a while back when I was thrown on anti-depressants, the brand name of the one I was one was Celexa, but my doctor written me up for the generic brand of that drug, which was about $40 cheaper then the actual brand and worked the exact same.

I was saying price in regards to the comment above in regards to wanting the generic brand over the actual brand name..... I wasn't directly commenting on placebo stuff. You asked if one could tell the difference and in my personal experience, price was a big difference.

I got your point but went a little to far. The difference in price is great for the same result, although having to pay $10.95 (dispensing fee) over and above the generic price is ludicrous (Ontario).

scratch

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is kind'a spooky when you realize how many Americans (with their health care system)
wait so long before ever going to see a doctor due to the costs involved. Just to have a GP
see you for a few minutes and tell you that you have a viral (not bacterial) infection costs
$70-$100 by itself, without a prescription to fill for a placebo.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Education.... or refusing to continue as their family doctor if they will not bother to listen to their advice for starters.

you can't 'make' someone, or even educate all people to, bring on the placebo effect. It's, well, a placebo effect. If you know what's going on it generally doesn't work very well for skeptical minds. Therein lies the catch 22.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Giving anti-biotics to people with no need 13% of the time is dangerous.

Making people fork out hundreds of dollars for medication is unethical.

Lying to people is unethical.

If there is nothing for them, say so. If they complain then tell them they are free to seek a second opinion.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
There is nothing wrong with placebos. They are a perfectly safe medicine with a great success rate.

The only problem I could see is if the patient is looking for something other than getting well, which ironically, makes them a perfect candidate for a placebo.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Hmmm first doctors make big bucks and to just prescribe placebos is wrong. Also if the patient had to pay for the medication, I hope he/she paid nothing!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think what many are overlooking is the fact that a lot of medical conditions are 'psychosomatic' and 'somatic' disorders, meaning that they originate from an irregular or dysfunctional pattern of emotions or mental coping. Poor response to stress can cause ulcers, high blood pressure, or chronic headaches for example. Sometimes it's not the pill that's helping you when a doc prescribes a med for such an issue, it's the mental certainty that your blood pressure will drop and your headache will lessen, which actually makes it. It's the feeling of having solved a problem, of being safe and taken care of, which makes it possible for a patient to go ahead and resolve the issue. It would just as irresponsible for a doc to say 'take a walk there's nothing I can do for you', when there clearly is, as it would be for a doc to prescribe a placebo to make a patient feel more calm, cared for, and in control.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I know of first timers who got high smoking oregano and pussy willows. They were convinced they were high. You just have to chuckle.