Pictured: The mystery pink light that appeared over London

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A mysterious pink light appeared in the dark sky over Mayfair in London on Monday night.

But it probably wasn't aliens - the Meteorological Office said it was probably the lights of the metropolis reflected in a cloud...

Pictured: The mystery pink light that appeared over London

By Daily Mail Reporter
21st October 2008
Daily Mail

While a pink sky at night might be a shepherd's delight, London residents were left scratching their heads last night as a mysterious pink cloud drifted over the city.

Bemused bystanders in Mayfair craned their necks to witness the strange alien-like cloud that appeared for just under an hour at around 8:30pm.

It hovered over buildings before breaking up and slowly disappearing

Let there be light: The pink clouds drift over London

But after dismissing theories of UFOs and atmospheric phenomenons, the Met Office said the blob was likely to be nothing more than the lights of the city reflected in a cloud.

A spokesman said: "If you have very high cloud, as we did last night, you tend to get odd splodges of low cloud that will reflect the pink or sometimes orangey-pink lights of the city from all angles and stand out from the darkness of the sky.

"It can be truly spectacular to witness."

Pink sky at night: The mystery light drifts over a London church

Rosy skies: The pink cloud dissipates into the London night

READERS' COMMENTS

On Monday morning Ealing (west London) was bathed in pink light around 7 in the morning - strange!
- Richard, Ealing UK,

I understand that, like Dracula, after sunset Baron Mandelson of Foy in the county of Herefordshire and Hartlepool in the county of Durham, (recently returned from Brussels to suck the blood from English taxpayers), dispenses with his human form and turns into a gasseous cloud, enabliing him to pass through keyholes and under doors as he flits above the rooftops from one billionaire's mansion to another without being detected by the press.

Obviously on this occassion, he got caught out.
- Mike, Brighton, England,

Probably mandelson's helicopter.
- R Thomson, Kirkcudbright, Scotland

That is no cloud.
That is no reflection.
How long will people be content with such weak excuses as we have read above??
Time to wake up people, things are going on that we must observe and not be content with these weak excuses.
- jack, london

Its a visit of a spaceship from the planet NULIEBOUR to give Gordon Brown his next batch of instructions.
- Ralph, Swindon, England

I saw a spaceship come out of it & land in my garden. It had no wings, but twirled like a spinning top very fast. A very odd looking man came out of it & asked me in perfect English where the nearest corner shop was. I told him & he left to buy some mince pies. He came back munching one & said it was the first pie he'd eaten since he'd left Galacta 42. He then got back into his spaceship & it flew off. I thought it must have been an alien in a UFO, but then I realised the odd looking man couldn't have been an alien because he wasn't green, he was brown.
- malarky, ledbury, england

dailymail.co.uk

JoeSpivens

Nov 7, 2008
Industrial pollution?

These phenomena have occurred over the planet since the beginning of the industrial revolution. Could this just be another metal coated cloud? Or maybe just a strange reflection from all the extraneous light we produce? Just a thought!

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
These phenomena have occurred over the planet since the beginning of the industrial revolution. Could this just be another metal coated cloud? Or maybe just a strange reflection from all the extraneous light we produce? Just a thought!
Are you seeing this through `rose coloured glasses?`