Teen goes missing after argument over Xbox use

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Brandon Crisp, 15, is seen in this undated police handout photo.

Volunteers post missing posters for the teen who disappeared on Thanksgiving.

Brandon is believed to have a yellow and grey back pack similar to the one pictured above.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20081021/barrie_teen_081021/20081021?hub=Canada
The parents of a missing Barrie, Ont. boy believe his disappearance stems from an argument over his "fixation" with a video game, police say.

Brandon Crisp, 15, was last seen more than a week ago after fighting with his parents, who revoked his privileges to play the Xbox game "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare."

It wasn't the first time they had banned him from playing the first-person shooting game. But on Monday, October 13, "he became upset and left home," Sgt. Dave Goodbrand told CTV.ca on Tuesday.

He was last seen riding away from home on his yellow and black mountain bike at about 3 p.m.

"Since that day he left home and has not been seen," Goodbrand added.

Police have been tracking his user name on the online Xbox account but "he has yet to log on from another location."

Goodbrand described the teen as "obsessed with the game."

"Over the last couple of years, Brandon has become less involved in sports and extremely involved in 'Call of Duty 4.' They have found him waking up in the middle of the night playing it," he said.

On Tuesday, police hope to conduct a more thorough search of the area of the 2nd Line of Oro and Ridge Road, where Brandon's abandoned bike was spotted.

Media reports suggest Brandon sought directions to the nearby township of Oro-Medonte before riding away on his bicycle.

The same day, a local resident found a similar bike abandoned in the area of 2nd Line of Oro-Medonte and Ridge Road. By the weekend, the bike was missing, but police have since confirmed it was Brandon's.

While nothing has come so far of the extensive air and ground search, police are hoping their efforts will yield new leads.

They are appealing to locals to search their residences and cottages for any sign of the missing teen.

Brandon is described as male, white, 100 pounds, 5'2", short sandy blond hair. When he was last seen, he was wearing a yellow and grey jacket, a grey American Eagle-brand hoodie, blue jeans, white runners with a camouflage stripe on the sides. He may also be carrying a yellow and grey back pack.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Barrie police at 705-725-7025.

Geez, the game's not that great.....

And besides, what the hell did he think would come of this? Now he's on the run, he apparently hasn't logged on to play the game since he's been on the run..... so now he's missing out on all this time he could be playing the game.

Clearly he's not that addicted, he's just a little brat who always wants to get what he wants..... considering his parents gave him a game he shouldn't have at that age in the first place.

Check this out:

^ See that big M on the bottom left? Yeah, right above that it says 17+ for age.... the kids 15.... technically he shouldn't have it in the first place.

Perhaps the parents shouldn't have left the game in his room and left it out in the living room so they could have more control over how much he plays it.

Oh well....

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008

Brandon Crisp, 15, is seen in this undated police handout photo.

Volunteers post missing posters for the teen who disappeared on Thanksgiving.

Brandon is believed to have a yellow and grey back pack similar to the one pictured above.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20081021/barrie_teen_081021/20081021?hub=Canada

Geez, the game's not that great.....

And besides, what the hell did he think would come of this? Now he's on the run, he apparently hasn't logged on to play the game since he's been on the run..... so now he's missing out on all this time he could be playing the game.

Clearly he's not that addicted, he's just a little brat who always wants to get what he wants..... considering his parents gave him a game he shouldn't have at that age in the first place.

Check this out:

^ See that big M on the bottom left? Yeah, right above that it says 17+ for age.... the kids 15.... technically he shouldn't have it in the first place.

Perhaps the parents shouldn't have left the game in his room and left it out in the living room so they could have more control over how much he plays it.

Oh well....

I see this as the fault first of the manufacturer, then the distributor and then the retailer..
The parents IMO hold a great responsibility when it comes to the games in circulation today.....so they are not aware of what these videos contain....if they are then they do not care....and that is where the real problem lies.

I sincerely hope that he is found....you know the first 48-72 hours are crucial.

scratch

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
And besides, what the hell did he think would come of this? Now he's on the run....

I think the assumption is that he's not on the run Prax. Criminals have good senses of timing. The fear that your kid will stomp out mad and be more likely to talk to a sympathetic stranger is there for almost all parents.

I don't think the game itself has much to do with his addiction to gaming... it may have just been the best one he had in the house (which may be why he hasn't logged back in if he is safe and just out on his own). And I don't think the vid games are the 'reason' he stomped out mad. Kids do it all the time.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Many parents don't care about the game ratings Prax, all they want is a babysitter for their kids.:roll:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I see this as the fault first of the manufacturer, then the distributor and then the retailer..
The parents IMO hold a great responsibility when it comes to the games in circulation today.....so they are not aware of what these videos contain....if they are then they do not care....and that is where the real problem lies.

I sincerely hope that he is found....you know the first 48-72 hours are crucial.

scratch

How is this the fault of the distributer or retailer? That's called passing the buck. This is not a normal situation, kida do not normally disappear over video games.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
People today are so eager to blame their problems on other people or companies rather then admitting that they suck at being a parent and probably should have never had kids.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
How is this the fault of the distributer or retailer? That's called passing the buck. This is not a normal situation, kida do not normally disappear over video games.

Who really knows what is in a kid's head today?

You'll never get from the kid.
scratch

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
People today are so eager to blame their problems on other people or companies rather then admitting that they suck at being a parent and probably should have never had kids.

On this , I agree with you.

But the problem of unexpected disappearances of children still remains a serious problem (all blame aside).

How does this get solved?

Is there a `magic solution`?

I doubt it.

IMPHO.
regs,
scratch

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I didn't see the parents passing any blame. What I saw was a police officer giving out information about the family that, frankly, is none of the public's business.

"Kid had a fight with his folks and ran off." is as much of an explanation as reporters needed to hear. The reasons parents fight with their kids are beside the point. All parents do, and lots, good and bad, get the same threats from their kids to try to force an issue. Running away is a major fall back for a lot of kids, because they know it's one of their parents' worst fears.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
On this , I agree with you.

But the problem of unexpected disappearances of children still remains a serious problem (all blame aside).

How does this get solved?

Is there a `magic solution`?

I doubt it.

IMPHO.
regs,
scratch

I think this kid probably just intended to run away for a couple hours but found him self in some other situation, hopefully he is found safe.

What kids should or shouldn't be playing/watching is a whole other story in my opinion.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You have answered the questions posed, granted.

But the answers to part 2 and 3 seem to negate each other.

Could you please explain this.

regards, scratch

lol... scratch, the way you worded the last one, there's no way he can answer it without sounding like he doesn't care.

yes, I do not care

no, I do not care

They come out the same no matter what.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I didn't see the parents passing any blame. What I saw was a police officer giving out information about the family that, frankly, is none of the public's business.

"Kid had a fight with his folks and ran off." is as much of an explanation as reporters needed to hear. The reasons parents fight with their kids are beside the point. All parents do, and lots, good and bad, get the same threats from their kids to try to force an issue. Running away is a major fall back for a lot of kids, because they know it's one of their parents' worst fears.

My reply was in regards laying blame on manufacturer's, retails, distributers etc.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
lol... scratch, the way you worded the last one, there's no way he can answer it without sounding like he doesn't care.

yes, I do not care

no, I do not care

They come out the same no matter what.

Honestly,

Do you think that was my intent?

scratch

......something akin to ` I understand that you have stopped beating your wife`

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My reply was in regards laying blame on manufacturer's, retails, distributers etc.
Sorry, you were talking about 'passing the buck' rather than 'admitting they're sucky parents'. It kind of sounded like you had figured the parents in this article were the one passing the buck.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Honestly,

scratch

I took another look at it and it seemed straight forward to me. He wasn't obliged to answer all the questions.

scratch

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Honestly,

scratch

no, I was quite certain it wasn't your intent. But, when I read Avro's reply it hit me that it's not one you can answer with a simple yes or no answer. lol.