B.C. man says he won deadly fight with black bear

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

A B.C. man who was attacked by a black bear says he was forced to use a stick to defend his life against the animal.

It took more than 60 stitches to sew the gash on Michael West's head after he was attacked by a bear near Caribou, B.C.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/...ghts_bear_081008/20081009?hub=BritishColumbia

A B.C. man found himself in a deadly fight with a black bear, and had to kill the large animal to escape with his life. The attack left him with deep gashes in his head that required more than 60 stitches.

Jim West, 45, was walking with his two dogs near 70 Mile House -- about halfway between Kamloops and Williams Lake -- when his dogs reacted to a noise in the woods.

"All of a sudden I heard a 'whoof' on my right and I looked over and there was a bear six feet away from me," he said.

West knew right away he was in serious danger.

"Just one look at that bear and I knew she meant business," he said.

"The bear rose at the same time as my foot went up. I'm not sure if it was her teeth or her claws that caught me in my upper lip."

That's when West was knocked down. He rolled onto his stomach and clasped his hands around his neck to protect his throat.

"She then tore a chunk out my scalp, bit me in my left arm and ribs," West said.

The Caribou man credits his dogs for drawing the bear away, giving him a chance to defend himself. When he turned to stand up, the bear -- apparently a mother -- swatted him in the right arm and bit him again. Knowing he would likely die unless he put up a fight, the bleeding West summoned the strength to get on his feet and picked up a stick about as thick as his arm.

"The bear was running at me full tilt," he said. "I swung the stick and hit her right between the ears and it stopped her dead in her tracks."

West says the initial hit stunned the bear, but he realized the animal would attack again if he didn't keep up the fight.

"I knew if I went down a third time I wouldn't get up again," said West.

"I pretended I was driving spikes with a sledgehammer, and I didn't stop until that bear went down and I saw blood coming out her nose."

After West crushed the bear's skull, he dropped the stick and wrapped his shirt around his head to stop the profuse bleeding. He then walked to a nearby lodge, where he was taken to hospital for dozens of stitches.

Matter of survival

Conservation officers found the bear three hours later, and confirmed the bear's injuries. West says fighting back was a matter of survival.

"Most people would be so scared that they would just stay on the ground and let the bear chew on them, but I have a bit of a temper that I try to stay on top of," he said.

But also West blames himself for the attack, saying the bear was just following its instincts when it attacked.

"With my experience in the woods, I know bears are out foraging in the fall, but with the wind in the face, I know he couldn't smell me or hear me," he said. "I know that people should be prepared when they go out."

Way to go.... I know they tell you to play dead when attacked by a bear, but from my own personal past of being attacked in various situations, I know I couldn't do that..... I'd rather die fighting then die curled up in a ball.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I know they tell you to play dead when attacked by a bear, but from my own personal past of being attacked in various situations, I know I couldn't do that

You'd should only play dead in certain circumstances. A hungry grizzly figures your just fast food then. If the bear is just curious, play dead.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Grizzly........play dead. They lose interest and leave, most of the time.

Black Bear. If they attack, they are treating you as prey, and mean to eat you. Fight back. This guy did, and lived.

Sometimes they "bluff charge"; and will stop 10 or so feet from you, and leave. Regardless, stand up as tall as you can wave your arms, yell and shout, swing a whatever, or shoot them if you have the balls to pack heat...DON'T RUN !!!.......
.:naka: .NUGBOOLA!!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I was of the understanding that it depends on what is going on with the bear rather then what species the bear is.

Personally, I carry a bell or pill bottle full of pennies. I make sure they know I am coming and I make sure my dog is on a leash.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
You'd should only play dead in certain circumstances. A hungry grizzly figures your just fast food then. If the bear is just curious, play dead.

I have heard various stories over the years of people who have shouted, attempted to look big, intemidate and throw things at bears which has worked on occasion, lol..... but although I have heard it common to play dead, I have also heard about many survivors who tried to intemidate the bear as much as possible while gradually trying to flee the area, and have survived.

To each their own, but for me personally, I couldn't care if it was a grizzly, black bear, polar bear, a moose or any other animal...... in nature you either fight for your survival or you're dinner...... I will sure as heck go down fighting and with any luck, take the beast down with me.

They could always walk away.

I have heard a lot about humans not being capable of taking on many wild animals without a gun or a knife and therefore the only solutions are to leave the area if you can or play dead..... in this guys case, he proved that humans can kill things much bigger then they are if they don't have a firearm or knife.

Not that I'm promoting people to go around man handling animals three times their size...... but if you were in that paticular situation (General question to all) what do you feel you would do?

Added:

Oh, and if they got you down.... start biting their ass..... a human biting back? That'll screw them up (jk)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Grizzly........play dead. They lose interest and leave, most of the time.

Black Bear. If they attack, they are treating you as prey, and mean to eat you. Fight back. This guy did, and lived.

Sometimes they "bluff charge"; and will stop 10 or so feet from you, and leave. Regardless, stand up as tall as you can wave your arms, yell and shout, swing a whatever, or shoot them if you have the balls to pack heat...DON'T RUN !!!.......
.:naka: .NUGBOOLA!!

Nuggs is correct........some black bears have decided we are on the menu.....fight blackie....play dead and pray with grizz.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Two years ago I briefly considered attacking a small black bear on the other side of my picture window but I could see the axe I thought to use behind him leaning on the picnic table. He's a lucky animal eh.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Two years ago I briefly considered attacking a small black bear on the other side of my picture window but I could see the axe I thought to use behind him leaning on the picnic table. He's a lucky animal eh.

Yeah ... picture windows don't come cheap.... I used to hang a hummingbird feeder dead centre of mine ... until I happened catch Ma Ba'ar tongue-stretching to reach it ... while leaning on that glass! She saw me ... and my ground was about three feet higher than hers so I looked pretty big. Hummingbird feeder found a new home in a tree where I could still watch ... just not view so closely.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yeah ... picture windows don't come cheap.... I used to hang a hummingbird feeder dead centre of mine ... until I happened catch Ma Ba'ar tongue-stretching to reach it ... while leaning on that glass! She saw me ... and my ground was about three feet higher than hers so I looked pretty big. Hummingbird feeder found a new home in a tree where I could still watch ... just not view so closely.

Okay, so it's not as fantastical as bears, but, I used to hang a basket full of kitchen scraps out for the birds... bread crumbs and ground eggshell and such. Birdies went berserk for the mulch. One day I looked out my picture window, and a great big buck deer was standing on his hinds, front hooves up in the tree, stretching his antlers out to snag my feeder. He drug it down and ate all the contents, then made a bed in my flowers and wouldn't leave.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

And how....My last picture window cost me $440 but I had quotes up over $1000. One of my
dogs sleeps (vertically) with his nose on the window, and has for years. During the day it's darker
in the house and lighter outside so from the outside that picture window looks like a mirror. I had
a peeper with their hands cupping around their face to looking in my window and must have banged
the window with their forehead, waking up the dog. Double pane windows are a blessing but they
don't come cheap.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

They're impressive up close and wild like that. I always have to watch it in the bush arround my place.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Okay, so it's not as fantastical as bears, but, I used to hang a basket full of kitchen scraps out for the birds... bread crumbs and ground eggshell and such. Birdies went berserk for the mulch. One day I looked out my picture window, and a great big buck deer was standing on his hinds, front hooves up in the tree, stretching his antlers out to snag my feeder. He drug it down and ate all the contents, then made a bed in my flowers and wouldn't leave.

Any animal without fear can become a problem.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
And how....My last picture window cost me $440 but I had quotes up over $1000. One of my
dogs sleeps (vertically) with his nose on the window, and has for years. During the day it's darker
in the house and lighter outside so from the outside that picture window looks like a mirror. I had
a peeper with their hands cupping around their face to looking in my window and must have banged
the window with their forehead, waking up the dog. Double pane windows are a blessing but they
don't come cheap.

Bet you don't have the peeper any more either ... but he left a damned fine trail....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Update:

Jim West says the harassing phone calls made to his house are likely from people who object to him having killed the bear.

Jim West needed 60 stitches on his head and body after he was attacked by a black bear Oct. 4 near 70 Mile House.
Bear attack survivor says he's being harassed for killing animal
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/10/20/bc-bear-attack-survior.html

A Cariboo, B.C., man who survived a bear attack two weeks ago says he has since been facing a different sort of attack — from animal lovers.

Jim West, 45, needed 60 stitches on his head and body as a result of the Oct. 4 attack by a black bear.

West inadvertently came between a mother bear and her two cubs while taking a morning walk with his two dogs near 70 Mile House, about halfway between Kamloops and Williams Lake.

The bear knocked West to the ground and mauled him. The injured man managed to roll over and pick up a thick stick, which he used to fight off the bear.

"I swung my piece of wood like a sledgehammer driving spikes, and I kept swinging till she was lying flat on the ground and there was blood coming out of her nose," West said.

The bear died, and her cubs were later euthanized by conservation officers.

West said Monday that he began receiving harassing phone calls shortly after the media reported on his story.

He said some people even impersonated him, sending e-mails to local media under his name.

West believes the harassment likely came from animal lovers who opposed the killing of the bear and the cubs.

"I think a lot of people who live in the Vancouver area … don't really have much knowledge or understanding of the wild," West said.

"I'm talking about back-country bush, where there's nothing between you and death."

West hasn't filed a report with the police, saying he wants to focus on recovering from his injuries.

Can you believe the stupidity of some people? Jebus.

"Oh no.... you can't kill a bear trying to kill you because it has cubs, and you shouldn't have been there in the first place." ~ Is what I could guess is their mentality.

We're all animals of this planet, and we all have rights to go anywhere we damn well please on the planet..... we can not isolate ourselves from the rest of nature, we are a part of it..... and when one animal is trying to kill you, you either kill it, or it kills you.... that's nature.

WTF did they expect him to do? Just lay there and die, because it was somehow his fault that the bear acted on instinct and in turn, he acted on instinct?

Get real.... I would love to see what these idiots would have done in his place.

To start harassing this guy simply because he defended his life is just simply pathetic..... it's not like he went out there to purposely kill the bear and have her cubs be put to sleep by nature rangers... it's not like he shot the bear from a safe distance out of some sport pleasure..... he was going to die.

Jez people are dumb.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Update:

Can you believe the stupidity of some people? Jebus.

"Oh no.... you can't kill a bear trying to kill you because it has cubs, and you shouldn't have been there in the first place." ~ Is what I could guess is their mentality.

We're all animals of this planet, and we all have rights to go anywhere we damn well please on the planet..... we can not isolate ourselves from the rest of nature, we are a part of it..... and when one animal is trying to kill you, you either kill it, or it kills you.... that's nature.

WTF did they expect him to do? Just lay there and die, because it was somehow his fault that the bear acted on instinct and in turn, he acted on instinct?

Get real.... I would love to see what these idiots would have done in his place.

To start harassing this guy simply because he defended his life is just simply pathetic..... it's not like he went out there to purposely kill the bear and have her cubs be put to sleep by nature rangers... it's not like he shot the bear from a safe distance out of some sport pleasure..... he was going to die.

Jez people are dumb.

Probably related to the nutbars who lobbied to get Ontario to ban the spring bearhunt....