karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Girl found

Abducted Edmonton girl found safe in Evansburg

Ben Gelinas, edmontonjournal.com

Published: Sunday, October 05, 2008

EDMONTON - A seven-year-old girl snatched by a man in an SUV this morning from a northeast Edmonton neighbourhood was found safe around 3 p.m. in Evansburg.
The girl is being reunited with her family by police. Evansburg is about about 100 kilometres west of Edmonton.
Anastasia Marie Whetton, 7, was located at a business in Evansburg, say police. Through an Amber Alert, staff identified the girl as the one taken from Edmonton earlier in the day and immediately contacted the local RCMP, who in turn contacted the Edmonton Police Service.

Full Article

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Girl found

Abducted Edmonton girl found safe in Evansburg

Ben Gelinas, edmontonjournal.com

Published: Sunday, October 05, 2008

EDMONTON - A seven-year-old girl snatched by a man in an SUV this morning from a northeast Edmonton neighbourhood was found safe around 3 p.m. in Evansburg.
The girl is being reunited with her family by police. Evansburg is about about 100 kilometres west of Edmonton.
Anastasia Marie Whetton, 7, was located at a business in Evansburg, say police. Through an Amber Alert, staff identified the girl as the one taken from Edmonton earlier in the day and immediately contacted the local RCMP, who in turn contacted the Edmonton Police Service.

Full Article

These predators have to be stopped and due to the swift action the young girl was returned. Amber Alert has become a boon to authorities.
His apprehension is paramount. Yet still dramatic and traumatic for all. My very best thoughts go out to her and her family.

Sincerely,
scratch

Last edited:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It is great to hear that the girl was found while she was still alive and the scumbucket captured. All too often they find the child after they have been murdered. I am glad this wasn't the case this time.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
EDMONTON -- A man who was declared a long-term offender and sent to prison in 2002 for molesting six children was charged Monday with drugging and sexually assaulting a seven-year-old girl abducted in Edmonton on the weekend.
Police allege the man kidnapped the girl Sunday while she played with her brothers, ages five and nine, in front of her home.
Danial Todd Gratton, 44, was arrested early Monday morning in a house a few blocks from the Belmont Elementary School grounds where the girl was abducted.
Police also seized a blue Jeep Liberty with a licence plate similar to the one on the vehicle the girl was lured into.
When he was arrested in December 2000, Mr. Gratton admitted to police that he had repeatedly abused five girls and a boy between 1996 and 2000, including one child he admitted assaulting at least 70 times over a six-month period. The children were ages two and eight.
He was sentenced in 2002 to six years in prison and declared a long-term offender. In a tearful police interview, he asked officers to protect him from his sickness because he couldn't stop himself, Mr. Gratton's lawyer, Peter Royal, said at the sentencing.
Mr. Gratton wanted treatment to help him deal with sexual fantasies that will never go away, Mr. Royal said at the time.
Mr. Gratton was banned from public places where children gather and placed on a supervision order for 10 years after his release. It's not known when he was released from prison.
On Sunday, a seven-year-old was lured into a vehicle by a man who told her he had kittens for sale, police allege.
The girl's mother was in their townhouse across the street when her daughter was driven away. The girl's father said her brothers ran home in a panic.
An Amber Alert was issued, and police searched for a blue Jeep Liberty with a license plate ending in 179. The girl was wearing a peach-coloured, floral dress.
She appeared calm and apparently unharmed when she was dropped off four hours later at a restaurant in Wildwood, about 120 kilometres west of Edmonton.
Sandy Wu was in the restaurant kitchen and said the girl was carrying $10 and a note that read: "I'm dropped off from Edmonton. Please bring me home safe."

full article

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I just love how he was back out on the streets only six years after molesting SIX children.:roll::x

Hopefully he'll get another black eye so he can have a matching set.:x

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I just love how he was back out on the streets only six years after molesting SIX children.:roll::x

Hopefully he'll get another black eye so he can have a matching set.:x

The one article said he'd begged for help, pleaded to be in jail. Thus, they saw him as remorseful and let him out early. How backwards is that?

"Please keep me locked up or I'll hurt kids."

"Wow, you're so honest, we'd better let you go."

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The one article said he'd begged for help, pleaded to be in jail. Thus, they saw him as remorseful and let him out early. How backwards is that?

"Please keep me locked up or I'll hurt kids."

"Wow, you're so honest, we'd better let you go."

That is totally crazy. I'd like to say that I was surprised, but I would be lying.:-(

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If he himself told police he couldn't control himself and they let him go anyway, is the police not partially responsible for this too... unless for some reason they had no choice but to let him go... In which case someone higher up is responsible, maybe even the government.

Anyway, this will be the theme of my next thread