Kentucky man sues over penis amputation

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Here's the Boner Story of the Week :p

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080926/penis_surgery_080926/20080926?hub=World

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A Kentucky doctor is being sued over the amputation of a patient's penis, a procedure the doctor contends was "medically necessary" and authorized by the patient.

Lawyer Clay Robinson says Dr. John Patterson performed the surgery because the patient, 61-year-old Phillip Seaton, had cancer.

In a written statement in answer to the lawsuit, Robinson said Patterson had been given permission to perform any medical procedure deemed necessary.

Seaton and his wife, Deborah, have sued in Shelby County Circuit Court over the amputation, which took place during a scheduled circumcision to treat inflammation.

The lawsuit claims Patterson removed Seaton's penis without consulting either Phillip or Deborah Seaton or giving them an opportunity to seek a second opinion.

The Seatons are seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages from Patterson, Commonwealth Urology and Dr. Oliver James, the anesthesiologist during the procedure.

The Seatons' suit is similar to one in which an Indianapolis man was awarded more than US$2.3 million in damages after he claimed his penis and left testicle were removed without his consent during surgery for an infection in 1997.

Robinson and Seaton's attorney, Kevin George, said post-operative tests confirmed that Seaton had cancer.

"Mr. Seaton had no reasonable option other than to have the cancer removed," Robinson said in his statement.

"Mr. Seaton's problem was not the surgery, it was the cancer," he added.

I can understand that his wang was a cancer and had to be removed, but it would have been nice to inform him that this had to be done so they could kinda prepare themselves for the situation, rather then wake up one day to realize you've got more room in your pants then normal.

Oh well.... that's why they invented strap-ons.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
It is possible he may have preffered to have at least have a few last uses of it before he goes.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Don't consent to "any necessary medical procedures" during a surgical procedure unless you mean it. I feel very badly for this man and think it would have been better to put the amputation off until the doctors could have spoken with him, but I don't know if he's legally entitled to money or not.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Can the Doctors graft you a new dong out of lips and arseholes, kinda like how Maple Leafs makes hot dogs?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Don't consent to "any necessary medical procedures" during a surgical procedure unless you mean it. I feel very badly for this man and think it would have been better to put the amputation off until the doctors could have spoken with him, but I don't know if he's legally entitled to money or not.

Well if they have it in writting that he said to do whatever is medically nessicary, then chances are, no.

But that other guy they spoke of won, so who knows.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, from a surgeon's point of view, I can see that each new round of general anesthetic is a risk. Removing it then and there is practical. But you'd think they'd realize how impractical and emotional a man's view of his penis is.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Only if Judge Judy is presiding, I would love to give her a load of listeriosis:p

Officer - "You may be seated.....
Your honor, here is Phillip Seaton vs. Dr. Patterson in the case of the Maple Leaf Hot Dog Penis with a touch of secret sauce."

Judy - "I Don't See it.... where is it?!"

Officer - "Your Honor, it's currently in his pants."

Judy - "I want to see it before this case begings.... I don't want to be jerked around on a waste of time case."

Seaton - "Hey I find that offensive!"

Judy - "Sit down sir, I'm not ready to talk to you, and you will address me accordingly, I didn't come here to run a zoo....."

Seaton - "Sorry your honor."

Judy - "Sir, do you think I'm an idiot?!"

Seaton - "No Ma'm.... er... your honor.."

Judy - "Well, which is it?!"

Seaton - "What?"

Judy - "WHAT WHAT??"

Seaton - "What do you mean your honor?"

Judy - "That's what I thought."

Seaton - "What?"

Judy - "Are you playing games with me sir?! Cuz I don't have time for games!"

Seaton - "Your honor could we just please get on with my penis?"

Judy - "Are you coming onto me sir!?"

Seaton - "What? no, I mean..... what?"

Last edited:

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Well, from a surgeon's point of view, I can see that each new round of general anesthetic is a risk. Removing it then and there is practical. But you'd think they'd realize how impractical and emotional a man's view of his penis is.

Exactly. The compassionate thing to do would be to postpone that operation until the man could consent to it. Who knows, he may have chosen not to have it done even knowing he had cancer.

I had my gallbladder out and wouldn't sign the consent allowing them to do it as an open procedure if the laparascopic procedure wouldn't work for some reason. I couldn't take 6 weeks off work at the time so I would have preferred to simply have a second surgery. My doctor was aware and ok with it. If I wasn't a nurse, I probably wouldn't have known to bring that up though.