Canada's Liberals headed for third-place finish

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gr8ZugeSfOjClJdLIqhDHhtX93_A

OTTAWA (AFP) — Canada's once-mighty Liberals risk finishing in third place in a hotly ideological election, behind the ruling Conservatives and the leftist New Democrats, according to the latest poll Tuesday.

The Liberals ruled Canada for most of the past century but were relegated to the role of official opposition in 2006.

In the first weeks of this campaign, support for the Liberal Party dropped to 23 percent while the lesser New Democrats saw a revival at 19 percent, said polling firm Ekos.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservatives meanwhile are now daring to dream of their first majority in Parliament, leading far ahead in public opinion with 38 percent.

The latest tracking "shows a dramatic tightening in the race for second spot, with the New Democrats now within striking distance of overtaking the Liberals," said Ekos president Frank Graves.

"Although it is clear that the Liberals retain a small edge, on some days the difference is within the margin of error," he said.

In other surveys, the Liberal Party scored better, but in all polling their leader Stephane Dion trailed New Democrat Party leader Jack Layton by a few points and far behind Harper in respondents' choice for prime minister.

"These trends only need to continue another few days for the NDP to pass the Liberals," commented Graves.

Such would be a humiliating defeat for the Liberals trying desperately to rebuild following a devastating scandal that ended 12 consecutive years in power and helped elect Harper's minority Conservatives in January 2006.

"If the alarm bells are not ringing already at Liberal headquarters, they should now," said Graves. "Jack Layton is simply connecting better with voters than Stephane Dion at this stage of the campaign."

Indeed, Dion has struggled to sell voters on his key election plank -- an environmental plan to introduce a carbon tax that Harper claims would add undue stress on a shaky economy.
Lacking charisma and handicapped by his troubles speaking in English, Dion, whose first language is French, has also been unable to alter the Conservatives' portrayal of him as a feeble and indecisive leader.

An academic and former environment minister, his come-from-behind win at the 2006 Liberal leadership convention surprised all.

Now faced with a "potential disaster" at the polls, many Liberals reportedly regret having cast their support for Dion as leader, suggesting this election might have been winnable with someone else at the helm.

Pundits note that NDP leader Jack Layton has so far run a much more efficient campaign, relentlessly attacking the Conservatives' said lackluster social agenda.

The Conservatives too have been aggressive in wooing voters with a litany of television advertisements characterizing Harper as a concerned father, soft-spoken and wearing knitted sweaters, meant to mollify perceptions that he is a stern leader with cold blue eyes.

The Liberals, supporters lamented, have kept their main strength -- their team credentials -- under wraps.

The Conservatives are often criticized for a dearth of experience in their ranks, but the Liberals boast a plethora of star candidates, including former Harvard professor Michael Ignatieff, former NDP Ontario premiere Bob Rae and Justin Trudeau, the son of Canada's most famous prime minister.

A Liberal Party spokesman explained to AFP that each candidate had to focus initially on their own electoral districts, but would be available for team gigs nationwide as the campaign progressed.

A Tuesday appearance by Dion in Halifax flanked by Rae was heralded as the first of many upcoming team events aimed at boosting Liberals' fortunes ahead of the October 14 vote.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gr8ZugeSfOjClJdLIqhDHhtX93_A

OTTAWA (AFP) — Canada's once-mighty Liberals risk finishing in third place in a hotly ideological election, behind the ruling Conservatives and the leftist New Democrats, according to the latest poll Tuesday.

The Liberals ruled Canada for most of the past century but were relegated to the role of official opposition in 2006.

In the first weeks of this campaign, support for the Liberal Party dropped to 23 percent while the lesser New Democrats saw a revival at 19 percent, said polling firm Ekos.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservatives meanwhile are now daring to dream of their first majority in Parliament, leading far ahead in public opinion with 38 percent.

The latest tracking "shows a dramatic tightening in the race for second spot, with the New Democrats now within striking distance of overtaking the Liberals," said Ekos president Frank Graves.

"Although it is clear that the Liberals retain a small edge, on some days the difference is within the margin of error," he said.

In other surveys, the Liberal Party scored better, but in all polling their leader Stephane Dion trailed New Democrat Party leader Jack Layton by a few points and far behind Harper in respondents' choice for prime minister.

"These trends only need to continue another few days for the NDP to pass the Liberals," commented Graves.

Such would be a humiliating defeat for the Liberals trying desperately to rebuild following a devastating scandal that ended 12 consecutive years in power and helped elect Harper's minority Conservatives in January 2006.

"If the alarm bells are not ringing already at Liberal headquarters, they should now," said Graves. "Jack Layton is simply connecting better with voters than Stephane Dion at this stage of the campaign."

Indeed, Dion has struggled to sell voters on his key election plank -- an environmental plan to introduce a carbon tax that Harper claims would add undue stress on a shaky economy.
Lacking charisma and handicapped by his troubles speaking in English, Dion, whose first language is French, has also been unable to alter the Conservatives' portrayal of him as a feeble and indecisive leader.

An academic and former environment minister, his come-from-behind win at the 2006 Liberal leadership convention surprised all.

Now faced with a "potential disaster" at the polls, many Liberals reportedly regret having cast their support for Dion as leader, suggesting this election might have been winnable with someone else at the helm.

Pundits note that NDP leader Jack Layton has so far run a much more efficient campaign, relentlessly attacking the Conservatives' said lackluster social agenda.

The Conservatives too have been aggressive in wooing voters with a litany of television advertisements characterizing Harper as a concerned father, soft-spoken and wearing knitted sweaters, meant to mollify perceptions that he is a stern leader with cold blue eyes.

The Liberals, supporters lamented, have kept their main strength -- their team credentials -- under wraps.

The Conservatives are often criticized for a dearth of experience in their ranks, but the Liberals boast a plethora of star candidates, including former Harvard professor Michael Ignatieff, former NDP Ontario premiere Bob Rae and Justin Trudeau, the son of Canada's most famous prime minister.

A Liberal Party spokesman explained to AFP that each candidate had to focus initially on their own electoral districts, but would be available for team gigs nationwide as the campaign progressed.

A Tuesday appearance by Dion in Halifax flanked by Rae was heralded as the first of many upcoming team events aimed at boosting Liberals' fortunes ahead of the October 14 vote.

Even if the monkey dressed up in silk, it's still a monkey...

I take issue with your parting remark, in my view it takes a mean speareted bad sport to come up with a stupid remark like that........Look at your self in the mirror and you be looking at the real monkey...........sorry pal I didn't want to respond like that but stupidity is a bad mindset.....

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I take issue with your parting remark, in my view it takes a mean speareted bad sport to come up with a stupid remark like that........Look at your self in the mirror and you be looking at the real monkey...........sorry pal I didn't want to respond like that but stupidity is a bad mindset.....

Even if the monkey dressed up in silk, it's still a monkey...

That's my signature you moron.... had noting to do with the article. (however if the shoe fits...)

That is an old Mexican saying.. read blog link below for more info.. sorta like Lip Stick on a Pig, still a pig.

http://sanityfound.wordpress.com/2008/05/22/a-monkey-in-silk-is-a-monkey-no-less/

Last edited:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

I'm sure that there will be even more polls posted by neocons before the election. They seem to love to grasp at even the remotest of hopes to take the opportunity to slag Liberals.

There is only one poll that counts.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I'm sure that there will be even more polls posted by neocons before the election. They seem to love to grasp at even the remotest of hopes to take the opportunity to slag Liberals.

There is only one poll that counts.

There is only one poll that counts.....

I find it hard to believe that the looney NDP will beat out the Liberals..........interesting concept though.

I actually like Dion, unfortunately he is like every academic I ever met, good at some things, but basically ineffective and just slightly out of touch. Likewise Jack, only more so.

Not PM material.

And in general, I loathe the Liberal Party of Canada. Dion is the best man to rise to the top of that sorry bunch since Louis St. Laurent.......and he was a blip. Rae or Ignatief also seem to be reasonable men......so the Libs someday might even become an option for me.

Consider this........the Libs take a thrashing, coming in third.....the CPC gets a majority. The Libs bleed cash, lose their place of prominence in the House, becoming a rump third party. They cut Dion's throat, put in Bob Rae, lose the next election as well........the NDP the official opposition again.......

Under Rae a move to unite the left in the face of the CPC juggernaught?

What goes around comes around.

Just musing.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
That is a rather interesting comment especially considering some of the remarks you have posted....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Oh grow up and get a sense of humor.

He does look like Beaker, and sounds about the same as well..... I don't want a Prime Minister that I can't understand..... hell, Gilles Duceppe speaks better engligh then Dion.... and he hates English people & wants to get as far away from us.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario

I find it hard to believe that the looney NDP will beat out the Liberals..........interesting concept though.

I actually like Dion, unfortunately he is like every academic I ever met, good at some things, but basically ineffective and just slightly out of touch. Likewise Jack, only more so.

Not PM material.

And in general, I loathe the Liberal Party of Canada. Dion is the best man to rise to the top of that sorry bunch since Louis St. Laurent.......and he was a blip. Rae or Ignatief also seem to be reasonable men......so the Libs someday might even become an option for me.

Consider this........the Libs take a thrashing, coming in third.....the CPC gets a majority. The Libs bleed cash, lose their place of prominence in the House, becoming a rump third party. They cut Dion's throat, put in Bob Rae, lose the next election as well........the NDP the official opposition again.......

Just musing.

I agree, Dion is a decent human being and likely inteligent but no leader he makes. Michael, the same..too many years in university halls. Rae? maybe...However he wouldn't fair well in Ontario. Rae was voted in under the NDP to start up public health insurance..instead he unleashed his left wing hidden adgenda (yes It appears to be something the left wing does instead of the right) and destryed the province until Harris corrected the problems after. Garris was blamed for many things but truely he was only fixing liberal and NDP distasters in th Province...I digress.

Dion is falling into the same trap as John Tory did during the Ontario election. defend defend defend,,, Leaders don't do that. They have firm policy that they do not sway from..They Lead!

Harper has lead. He has gone forward, people see that dirrect course. When the look elsewhere they see shifting with the polls, new courses of action daily etc etc. Harper has put forward an agenda (again not hidden) and wants a majority to fulfill it. Peaople like that end of story.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

Why is that hard to believe? In all the big fancy speeches, all the reports, interviews, and everything else all the parties have to shoot out their mouths, it seems as though the NDP are the only ones who actually address the issues and present some logical explinations, rather then hearing the Liberals and Conservatives bitch and moan about what the other did or didn't do.....

But then again, the NDP's tactic of actually talking about the real issues could be seen as looney to those used to the normal poop flinging by the other two same-ol same-ol...... it could throw anybody off I suppose.

Not PM material.

Fair enough, but at least Layton's got the Angry Beaver look to him and can speak English I can understand.... good qualities to represent Canada to the rest of the world :p

Dion just bugs the sh*t out of me, not just because of his consistant bickering and moaning of what other parties haven't done (While ignoring the long list of things his own party didn't do or screwed up on).... not just because of his dumb ass carbon tax idea (Sure it might make some good economic sense to many experts...... during a time where the economy is good in such a way that it could handle a Carbon Tax.... certainly not now) But it takes so much more effort to shut out all surrounding noises, close all the windows, turn the tv up real loud and focus until my mind is splitting atoms in my ear drums for me to understand just wtf the guy is saying.

I can't go on 4 years with that sort of crap..... I just can't. Jean Chretien was tolerable, because he spoke it at least a little better...... that and he sounded like a French Pirate..... who doesn't love that?

Well as I said before, if Ignatief made leader (As he should during that whole farce back when Dion won by everybody dropping out and Dion winning by default) I might be singing a different tune as well.

But things didn't go that way, their election of their leader was a joke, and the party since has been an even worse joke then that. (Nothing pisses me off more about a party, then a party which contiually walked out on votes and didn't do their jobs they were paid and elected to do..... to me, they deserve to drop to 4th place behind the Green for such actions)

And even worse.... if the NDP stay as opposition for that long and do a good job...... they just might take power..... GASP!!! ;-)

Just musing.

As am I.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I agree, Dion is a decent human being and likely inteligent but no leader he makes. Michael, the same..too many years in university halls. Rae? maybe...However he wouldn't fair well in Ontario. Rae was voted in under the NDP to start up public health insurance..instead he unleashed his left wing hidden adgenda (yes It appears to be something the left wing does instead of the right) and destryed the province until Harris corrected the problems after. Garris was blamed for many things but truely he was only fixing liberal and NDP distasters in th Province...I digress.

Like the Education system. Not that there was a problem with it other than a little bloat, but the Conservatives posted front man Snoeblen to the ministry to create a crisis, which he did in spades. Then it was all about closing schools, firing people, union busting and creating the worst retail style relationship between Ministry and Teachers unions in history. He in Ontario we're still cleaning up that mess.

Let's not forget health care. Close hospitals and let the people drive a hour or two to get to emerge. Cut the hell out of funding so that there isn't the money to care for people. Remember all the old folks they turned out of nursing homes so that the private sector could leap into the role of care provider? Time and time again the reoccurring stories hit the air waves with news of abused and abandoned elderly patients. This isn't help just so you know.

Dion is falling into the same trap as John Tory did during the Ontario election. defend defend defend,,, Leaders don't do that. They have firm policy that they do not sway from..They Lead!

It takes some time for a major change in a party like the one the Liberals went through to clean out the opportunists from the party. While there are more adjustments to make, the Party is again the best choice to lead Canada into the future. That means the economy, the environment and finding liberty and freedom within safety and prosperity.

Harper has lead. He has gone forward, people see that dirrect course. When the look elsewhere they see shifting with the polls, new courses of action daily etc etc. Harper has put forward an agenda (again not hidden) and wants a majority to fulfill it. Peaople like that end of story.

Harper and you think he has the lead. That doesn't mean anything during a campaign. Harper needs to win a majority as unless he does, he will be replaced as leader, the government won't stand until the next election and he is out of ideas if he has to cooperate with any of the other parties to get it done.

Harper wants a Canada that is only for some Canadians. His Canadians. More than anything else, there is always the undercurrent that drags along this dire need to go after people who don't bother anyone else with what they do, simply to make them do as they are told. That's a control freak. And the Neocons are a party made of of control freaks.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
there we go with the holier than thou thing again, So ahrper is for some Canadains, but because you may agree with Dion or Layton, then therefore they are for all Canadians?

Harris did not cut healthcare funding...The federal Liberals did to balance the books. The liberals in Ottawa knew very well they could switch the problem to the provinces and take no blame. Just as the NDP federally are doing in reverse at the moment. saying they will have more nurses in hospitals..funding is federal admin is provincial..you can't change sides when it's convienient.

Bloated adminstration in the medical and education feilds suck public money from the system, Harris tried and failed to cap it..Why did he fail, because we have allowed them to get so big and powerful.

Why is there education peace in Ontario right now? because McGuinty gives them anything they want, while we parents pay top tax rate, buy all supplies for the kids, deal with constant teacher days off and user fee's everywhere. Tons of money towards healthcare that never makes it to the floor. The dirrector of CHEO in Ottawa has free vacations for his family and him to anywhwere he wants to go..while we sit in line...
and this is what we protect as great?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Can you read ... or did you do school the Tory way: make it up as you go along. Liberal and NDP disasters ... like Davis and Robarts and Frost and twenty-five years of consecutive Ontario PC governments before that. I will hand it to you though. You ARE a true Tory. The truth doesn't matter as long as you're in control....

FYI Public health care was in Ontario long before Rae....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
there we go with the holier than thou thing again, So ahrper is for some Canadains, but because you may agree with Dion or Layton, then therefore they are for all Canadians?

Layton seems to be for mostly the middle class, which is the majority of Canadians, and since this is a democracy I thought, then the majority rules, and thus, I would like to have someone in there with my best interests.

Dion is just out for himself and the Liberals, with their typical BS money grab like they've always been known for in the past.

I'd like Layton as PM to shake the crap out of the country, and Harper second, but Dion should be leader of anything apart from being manager at a Dairy Queen.

Harris did not cut healthcare funding...The federal Liberals did to balance the books. The liberals in Ottawa knew very well they could switch the problem to the provinces and take no blame. Just as the NDP federally are doing in reverse at the moment. saying they will have more nurses in hospitals..funding is federal admin is provincial..you can't change sides when it's convienient.

Bloated adminstration in the medical and education feilds suck public money from the system, Harris tried and failed to cap it..Why did he fail, because we have allowed them to get so big and powerful.

Why is there education peace in Ontario right now? because McGuinty gives them anything they want, while we parents pay top tax rate, buy all supplies for the kids, deal with constant teacher days off and user fee's everywhere. Tons of money towards healthcare that never makes it to the floor. The dirrector of CHEO in Ottawa has free vacations for his family and him to anywhwere he wants to go..while we sit in line...

Yeah, all the parties have BS stuck to their fingertips..... I've already listed off a slew of things the Liberals fk'd up here in the Maritimes over the last 10+ years, and there has been plenty here who have listed off what the Conservatives did..... we all have to weigh out what is best for our own regions.

For my area, the NDP have done a lot more and a lot better then both Conservatives and Liberals.

Perhaps the NDP suck arse in Ontario, I don't know.... vote for who you think is best.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Just musing.

I was musing on that same thing. Maybe we end up with a real two party dichotomy, outside of Quebec.

I was even musing about a coalition government after this election result is finalized...but that's way out in "left" field :lol:

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
I'd like Layton as PM to shake the crap out of the country, and Harper second, but Dion should be leader of anything apart from being manager at a Dairy Queen.
quote]

I think I'd walk away if he was at the counter..no matter how hot :)

If harper's views were only for a small portion of the public than why would he be getting the majority of the votes?

My major problem with the NDP is two fold.

1. they are buddy buddy with the unions and
2. They have no concept of world markets, thinking they can tax heavily on corporations and they will just stay put. Well my friend they don't..they go to China, Mexico or Tenn. and sell to you anyways..

But I will admit that many years ago when I lived in Toronto and Jack was my counciller He jumped through hoops to get something done. I don't agree with his policies but he has more action than Dion..like that says a lot ha!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Of course they are. Either one of them has an interest in what's best for everyone. Harper has an interest in what's best for him and few of his creepy friends.

Of course they did. They just never bothered with balancing the books. Once they were turfed, they cut and ran to the next place they felt they could be successful in putting money in friends pockets. And here they said they didn't like scandals.

Of course they also put kids into contact with the people who could help them resolve some of the challenges they face. Keep kids off the streets and get them into after school programs and community organization that prevented them from turning to gangs.

He failed because the idea was a failure to start with. He picked a fight and got his ass kicked. Government shouldn't be trying to pick fights with parents and teachers when kids are at stake.

No he doesn't. He gives them a lot more than what Harris did but then he isn't trying to gut the system to cover cost that used to be paid for by taxes. You can gut the hell out of a system and then give every one a tax cut as you try and buy an election but it's only a matter of time before the results of those cuts show.

But you have shown the largest personality flaw of the neocon. It doesn't matter to you if someone does a great job or not, or that they have the best management skills among those who apply for a position. What gets your dander up is that someone might be getting something for free. Not that it affects you in anyway, you just hate to see someone besides yourself happy.

The education system is slowly returning to a good system. The health care system is slowly returning to a good system and wait times are shrinking. With Harper, what was done to Ontario, will be done to Canada. What a stupid idea that is. Canada is a little too important for mooks like you neocons to spoil.

Maybe you could get a little job down on the Crawford Ranch. Then you can just sit and hate everyone else like the rest of the Bushco cronies.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
They just did a snap poll on the radio out here (980 news talk) where as many people
as possible would call in, in a three minute period, unannounced ahead of time and here's
the results.
Conservatives = 77%
Liberals = 4%
NDP = all the rest...I didn't expect that level of support for the NDP.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I think I'd walk away if he was at the counter..no matter how hot :)

If harper's views were only for a small portion of the public than why would he be getting the majority of the votes?

Depends on where the polls are taken. It's a simple given that western Canada has a long term fancy for the Conservatives, and why not? That's where Harper is from. In Ontario, it seems to be a toss up between the Conservatives and Liberals.

But the NDP's issue is that for one thing, they are not as well known as the other two parties which have been in power since forever, and secondly, they've been in third place for quite some time now..... for Canadians to simply push a 3rd place party into leadership right away would be a bit foolish.

And I don't even expect the NDP to take a minority, let alone a majority, but if my vote shoves them into 2nd, then I'll be happy..... for now.

My major problem with the NDP is two fold.

1. they are buddy buddy with the unions and
2. They have no concept of world markets, thinking they can tax heavily on corporations and they will just stay put. Well my friend they don't..they go to China, Mexico or Tenn. and sell to you anyways..

Yeah, and Peter McKay just traded off the production of knives used by our paratroopers to a company in China, which was originally contracted out to a local company near where I grew up, since around the 1950's..... his reason? It's cheaper..... even though countless complaints have already came in about their sh*tty quality and poor design. Heck the Green party is jumping all over this here in Nova Scotia.

What you fear is already taken place under the Conservatives, and has been going on for quite some time now.

You think the NDP will tax companies and make it harder for them to sell their products here in Canada?

Good!

If we had these things done in the past, chances are we wouldn't have had all these tainted foods, lead-filled toys, products that were fire hazzards, loaded with chemicals banned, etc.....

Many of these companies would be forced to put their damn money into making good and safe products, rather then just putting their money into their own pockets with an open-gate for their products without question.

Will companies go elsewhere? Probably.... good I say.... that way we can filter out all the crap and give money to the companies which diserve it.

Not to mention that companies given green lights for so long and getting away with everything is what has caused our current economic issues today..... in the US esspecially.

But I will admit that many years ago when I lived in Toronto and Jack was my counciller He jumped through hoops to get something done. I don't agree with his policies but he has more action than Dion..like that says a lot ha!

I do see this character in Layton in when he talks and what he does...... he actually seems to "Work" AKA: do his job, rather then dictate to people how it's going to be.

That's the way it should be in my opinion..... but to each their own.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
remember that when these companies go..they always take the jobs with them. As for the tainted products..as long as people demand the cheapest..it's what they will get. Unfortunatley we all want a bargin. No one wants to pay $700 for a tv if they can get it for 200..ndp or not.

I am conservative, but I also buy local, try to look for North American products etc etc. but it's not always corporate company driven as you think. If no one wants your product at your price when someone is cheaper..guess what Jack..your out of business