RCMP in B.C. search for suspect after four-month-old puppy fatally shot

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
VICTORIA - RCMP were asking for a B.C. hunter to turn himself in Monday after a puppy belonging to a boy who survived brain cancer was shot on the weekend.

The family of the 12-year-old boy say he was devastated after a hunter allegedly shot the puppy to death for no apparent reason.

Chris Rose, the boy's grandfather, said Monday his grandson, Max Rose, has been through many ordeals in his young life, but to see the boy suffering the loss of his 12-week-old puppy, Seymour, was heartbreaking.

"Naturally, the whole family is just absolutely upset. Tears and crying, on the street. It was just awful," the grandfather said.

"Particularly my grandson, who I should add four years ago had brain surgery for cancer. He is recovering quite well, but it took a long time, and he has emotional problems."

RCMP at remote Quadra Island, B.C., located about 265 kilometres northwest of Victoria, said they were investigating the shooting.

They believe one of two hunters who may have been involved in the incident on the weekend fled Quadra Island for the Victoria area.

"This dog was really my grandson's dog," Rose said. "It just was horrible."

Cpl. Craig Peterson said the Mounties were weighing firearms offences against at least one of the two hunters.

He said one of the hunters led police to believe he will turn himself in, but if that doesn't happen a warrant for his arrest will be issued. Police declined to identify the man.

Nick Rose, who could not be reached for further comment Monday, said earlier he was in his yard cutting firewood with his son Saturday morning when two men who had apparently been hunting went by.

The dog ran toward the men as they walked down the road and he heard a shot as the hunters rounded the corner, he said.

"The dog just sort of barked and ran with them (the hunters). Small little thing," said the grandfather.

He said the men were just out of sight when the father heard a gunshot.

"My son runs out, sees the dog quivering out there," Rose said.

"When he saw he saw these two guys standing over the dog, and they saw my son, they ran across the street and into the bush."

Rose, 78, said his son, Nick, found the dying puppy outside of the family property.

Rose said his son's family - including their 14-year-old daughter and Max - was extremely emotional after the shooting.

About 2,700 people live on Quadra Island, located a 10-minute ferry ride from Campbell River, on Vancouver Island's east coast.

Rose said he's lived on Quadra Island for 10 years, but is starting to feel uncomfortable, especially after the puppy shooting.

"Quite frankly, I have been giving it very serious consideration to move off of the island," said Rose. "It just so happens we have a few, more-than-rotten apples here."

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I can't even imagine how violated and unsafe this poor family must feel. My inlaws had a bullet hit their house once, and lodge in the siding outside their bedroom window. Quite clearly, from the trajectory, just a stray bullet from a rifle. But that alone rattled them immensely, let alone if their family pet had been shot.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
That's just horrible. How could grown men, carrying guns, 'shoot' a small dog, who
obviously was not endangering them in any way. Those guns should be taken from
all of those men, charges against the shooter, and a 'big deal' made of this for all to
see. I am envisioning them 'running into the bush', when the boy saw them, can you
just imagine such a sight, how very very pitiful indeed. What kind of a 'powerful' feeling
does 'walking around with a firearm' give some people, it is very frightening.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Quoting Talloola:
What kind of a 'powerful' feeling
does 'walking around with a firearm' give some people, it is very frightening.

Absolutely talloola.
There can be no excuse for shooting that pet. Obviously some people should never be able to have a gun. The whole idea of carrying a gun in a place like Quadra Island is idiotic to the extreme. Just the idea of hunting animals with a modern rifle is sick unless you need the meat to survive.................It sure as hell is no sport......:angry3:

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
I agree that the hunters were in the wrong for shooting a puppy - pets are there as companions and we all agree that you are not to hunt them.

I don't agree, however, that just because two hunters do something wrong that nobody should be allowed to hunt. This is especially true on Quadra Island, and the island just east of it where my parents live, Cortes Island. These places draw people with the hunter lifestyle because they are fairly remote with large areas of wild forest. My own family was drawn there for that very reason.

FUBAR

Electoral Member
May 14, 2007
My sisters dog came home one day with a three foot iron bar pushed into its chest. It survived as the bar missed all the vital organs but the vet said whoever did it had to stand on the dog to push it in. Makes you wonder about people sometimes............

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Now, as much as I hate puppykillers,

to play devils advocate:

Is it possible the dog moved into the path of a legitimate shot against a quail or deer or whatever it is they were hunting.

I love puppies, but like children, they are stupid.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

to play devils advocate:

Is it possible the dog moved into the path of a legitimate shot against a quail or deer or whatever it is they were hunting.

If they were that close to streets, children, and yards, is there such a thing as a 'legitimate' shot? I don't know about Quadra Island, but, where I lived in Fort St John, you had to be well away from populated areas to be hunting. If someone had been in the bush near our acreage communities, shooting grouse or firing a gun in any way, they'd have been hunted down in turn.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I don't know the area im afraid, I know some regions I've lived in your surrounded by wildnerness so people hunt in their backyards.

@Juan:

No one needs meat to survive, but its a whole lot more humane to kill animals with a modern rifle than to raise them in a factory farm and slaughter them like we do.

Hunting is far less sick than buying your little sanitized styrofoam tray and pretending to not know the hellish conditions that animal was forced into before being lead to the slaughter (Without even a chance like wild animals have).

The idea of the family farm with the bright red barn and Farmer MacDonald is not the case anymore.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I don't know the area im afraid, I know some regions I've lived in your surrounded by wildnerness so people hunt in their backyards.

@Juan:

No one needs meat to survive, but its a whole lot more humane to kill animals with a modern rifle than to raise them in a factory farm and slaughter them like we do.

Hunting is far less sick than buying your little sanitized styrofoam tray and pretending to not know the hellish conditions that animal was forced into before being lead to the slaughter (Without even a chance like wild animals have).

The idea of the family farm with the bright red barn and Farmer MacDonald is not the case anymore.

Exactly

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

to play devils advocate:

It wasn't the puppy that was stupid. Mistaking a little white puppy for a deer or a quail? I've never seen any little white deer or little white quail...........At least not at this latitude......:roll:.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

I haven't hunted for over forty years now, but when I did, I found deer and most wild game to be full of ticks and worms, and fleas. I'll take the Styrofoam tray at the Safeway thank you.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
It wasn't the puppy that was stupid. Mistaking a little white puppy for a deer or a quail? I've never seen any little white deer or little white quail...........At least not at this latitude......:roll:.
reading comprehension my friend,

nowhere did I say "mistaken for", but its an easy enough thing to overlook if your glancing over, so I don't think it would be fair to debate this point with you as I doubt its one either of us are making.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I haven't hunted for over forty years now, but when I did, I found deer and most wild game to be full of ticks and worms, and fleas. I'll take the Styrofoam tray at the Safeway thank you.

I thought you said the problem was the act of hunting, not the quality of meat?

Even still, We can each have our own tastes. I prefer to eat hunted meat, or failing that I try and get it from one of my families farms.

But Im not a saint and I still get the cheap sanitized meat as often as not, logistics over animal empathy.