Teens get community service for microwaving cat

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Anybody remember this?

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080904/EDM_cat_080904/20080904?hub=Canada

Two Camrose teens who pleaded guilty to killing a neighbour's cat by putting it in a microwave were sentenced to 100 hours of community service Thursday.

Justice Shauna Miller ruled the two teenagers will be put on one year probation for their role in the gruesome case. They are also banned from owning a pet for two years and must pay $500 in restitution to the family.

They have also been placed on a curfew for one year and aren't allowed to play violent video games.

The case comes after two Camrose teenagers, both 16, pleaded guilty in July to unlawfully causing pain and suffering to an animal.

The two boys, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, also pleaded guilty to two counts of breaking and entering.

Three 16-year-old boys and a 13-year-old teen were charged in early 2008 after a family pet was found dead in a microwave. An RCMP investigation revealed the cat died when the appliance was turned on.

The two boys, both 15 at the time of the crime, offered statements to the court before the judge handed down her decision.

"I am really sorry for what I did and I can guarantee it will never happen again," one said.

"I am very sorry for what I did," the other said. "I can't believe I was involved in something with this intensity of wrongess. I don't plan on hurting or harming any other families."

Bullsh*t.... milking the system like kids do these days.

"Oh, I can't believe I was involved in this." ~ I 'ought to bitch slap them with a trout.... you knew what you did, you did it with your own hands, you knew exactly what you were doing, accept responsibility for your actions..... don't tell us you can't believe your own actions you friggin twerp.

Court had previously heard the suspects put the cat in the microwave, turned it on for 10 minutes and listened to its screams before it died.

A family friend of the homeowners discovered the dead cat, named Princess, on Dec. 30 while the family was away on Christmas vacation.

The house had been broken into and trashed.

Police later found the words, "The cat is in the microwave. Nice cat. You had a nice cat," scribbled on a kitchen cupboard.

Chris Miller, the defence lawyer for one of the teens, says the boys are good kids who did something wrong.

"It's an appropriate sentence," he said. "I know that's difficult for some people to accept."

Suck my brass knob you pickle pincher... you got paid, what the hell do you care?

The boys had no previous criminal history leading up to the incident. During the trial, a judge ordered psychological assessments on both teens.

A group of animal activist, who stationed themselves outside of the courtroom for all the teenagers' trials, said they are disappointed with the sentencing.

"For them to virtually walk away ... it's not that tough of a sentence," said Tove Reece, an activist with Voice for Animals.

Two other youth pleaded not guilty to similar charges. Their trial is scheduled for Nov. 17.

Well there you go.... kids getting away from the law again. The system works..... for them.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
A list of the most hideous criminals, would invariably start with cruelty to animals a starting point of the their often murderous careers. It is invariably an indication of sociopathic tendencies, an inability of empathise with others as well as sadistic inclinations, which often as not spark sexual obsessions involving subjegation and exploitation, especially of children. Canada's whole system of corrections and probations needs a revamp, to put in some real deterrence, and to hold young offenders accountable for inflicting willful cruelty on those weaker than themselves.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
A list of the most hideous criminals, would invariably start with cruelty to animals a starting point of the their often murderous careers. It is invariably an indication of sociopathic tendencies, an inability of empathise with others as well as sadistic inclinations, which often as not spark sexual obsessions involving subjegation and exploitation, especially of children. Canada's whole system of corrections and probations needs a revamp, to put in some real deterrence, and to hold young offenders accountable for inflicting willful cruelty on those weaker than themselves.

Make their names public and keep their criminal records intact after they hit 18 would be a good start for me. I'm sure that'd be a small step to making sure they snap sh*t and fly straight.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The only thing they are sorry for, is 'getting caught', it's a good thing they arent' going
to be left in my care right now. I would use 'tough love' on them, but I would have to
eliminate the word 'love'.

They should have to work at the SPCA for a year, and work hard.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Make their names public and keep their criminal records intact after they hit 18 would be a good start for me. I'm sure that'd be a small step to making sure they snap sh*t and fly straight.

You have to consider the fact that, while you don't know their names, their community does. And people have LONG memories for stuff like this. Alberta, hell, even Canada, is not that big a place. People know people who know people, and there isn't anywhere these boys will be going that this won't follow them and be a constant reminder to people to be on their ___es and vigilant around them.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Wouldn't that be a bit like making a pedophile go work at a shelter for abused children? They're not even allowed to own pets right now.

lol... "Here's this screaming and puking cat, take care of it for a week"

Hmmmm.... another microwaved cat.... go figure.

But I do understand what was ment by getting them to work at the SPCA.... but I doubt they'd want them around in the first place. They probably get enough abused animals everyday at the hands of dorks like these kids...... I can only imagine what would be going through their heads when working beside punks like these who did similar things.....

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I would love to say that I was surprised at this pathetic sentence, but I'm not. It is just more of the same. Teens do something heinous, and the judges decide that they deserve another chance. So, when these teens escalate to something even more heinous?

I wonder if the judges would even care if they read the newspaper sometime in the future and saw that the person(people) that they gave such a lenient sentence to decided to murder a person? Maybe they did not get enough satisfaction from microwaving a cat, so they wanted to see what doing the same to a small child would accomplish. I wonder what excuses the judges would spout then?

Pathetic. No accountability these days. Canada's justice system is the ultimate oxymoron.:-(

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

I concur with your assessment of the situation...Completely. We don't know the names of these
boys now, but their names will come up again in 20 or 30 or 40 years after a long stretch of anonymity.
Their names, from future crimes, will be synonymous with those of Clifford Olsen or Robert Picton. To
completely shutter the identities of these individuals will come back to haunt society at a later date.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

What Karl Said: Exactly.

Take a google at some well known serial offenders/killers/rapists. Just about ALL of them had some history of cruelty to animals, and or arson. To find a bunch of them in one room certainly is unusual. Probably one leader and some followers.

My first reaction would be to get them in a room alone and kick the sh!t out of them. Put them in the goddam ICU..............then..........community service........and kindness.......and understanding.........and huggybugs...........:evil4:

:naka:

but, THAT would not be the Canajun way, eh!:angry3:

faithlessforeve

Nominee Member
Jan 28, 2008
I can remember when I was 16 how aware I was of my surroundings; the people I hung with, what they did, etc. If for any reason, I thought someone else's behaviour was out of whack, I quietly left the scene. I think most of us at that age would have a sense of what is right and what is wrong! Microwaving a living animal is just wrong!

I know that people have been doing horrible things to other people/living creatures for ever...but, lately, it seems like Canada is getting its fair share of these terrible crimes. Perhaps now with the Internet, we just hear about it more often, still, it does not make much sense to me and it still makes me feel sick knowing things like this happen too often and without due justice.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What Karl Said: Exactly.

Take a google at some well known serial offenders/killers/rapists. Just about ALL of them had some history of cruelty to animals...

The only problem with that line of thought is that it's not a direct relationship. People have engrained this in society's consciousness, but without any data to back up the actuality of how many animal abusers go on to be serial killers.

While it's entirely true that most serial killers have abused animals in the past, that doesn't make it true that all animal abusers become serial killers.

It's not a court's position to jump to a hypothetical based on the latest fad in social diagnostics. They need to assess the kids based on where they're at NOW, not where we think they might end up in the future. Thank goodness. Because I certainly wouldn't want someone looking at all the negative things that have happened in my life and deciding that they know exactly where I'll end up.

These boys needed a stiffer sentence than this. But not because of some shaky link to serial killers.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Wouldn't that be a bit like making a pedophile go work at a shelter for abused children? They're not even allowed to own pets right now.

Don't really think they have an uncontrolled desire to kill and maime every little animal
they come into contact with, and while the boss isn't looking, don't think they are going
to start killing the animals, what they did was awful and sickening, but it isn't a sickness they can't control, and they would be under strict supervision, and would
learn their lesson, along with other punishment, no I disagree with you, and think it
would be a good rehabilitating type of punishment, and might even bring them to have
a better appreciation of animals.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Don't really think they have an uncontrolled desire to kill and maime every little animal
they come into contact with, and while the boss isn't looking, don't think they are going
to start killing the animals, what they did was awful and sickening, but it isn't a sickness they can't control, and they would be under strict supervision, and would
learn their lesson, along with other punishment, no I disagree with you, and think it
would be a good rehabilitating type of punishment, and might even bring them to have
a better appreciation of animals.

I actually agree with you talloola... just so many people view these kids as serial killers about to start slaughtering everything in sight that I found it a funny suggestion. Given your view, it makes sense. If that makes sense. lol

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:cool:.......Karrie says: "While it's entirely true that most serial killers have abused animals in the past, that doesn't make it true that all animal abusers become serial killers."

Jeebus, Karrie, I know that, and I didn't say they did. Some just become worse pricks.
Others................become really worse...........as in Ted Bundy......broken home....animal cruelty.....nose picker....fires.......peeper........killer.........necrophile........ Lots more of em fit the mold.

I ain't dr. froid, eh, just an amater psycho..........:roll:.......no , that don't sound rite, eh.

Whatever.

Anybody what puts an animal in a freakin micronuke and cooks em alive is a twisted f u c k. There........that's my point, I guess.

Nugg.:idea:

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
Microwaving a cat is one thing but taunting the family with.
The cat is in the microwave. Nice cat. You had a nice cat".
Shows it went far beyond just the act.

Honestly I think if I caught anyone doing that to one of my animals they would end up 6 feet under in the desert.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I actually agree with you talloola... just so many people view these kids as serial killers about to start slaughtering everything in sight that I found it a funny suggestion. Given your view, it makes sense. If that makes sense. lol

We always make sense Karrie, even when we don't;-)
There are a few situations where they have found that Serial Killers, had a background
of mutilating animals, but that is just them.

These kids were just being plain mean and stupid, and probably thought they were doing
something to make them look tough. Well, the tough got turned around, and now they
will learn their lesson 'big time', and always have to hear someone let them know what
they did when they were kids.
No connection to serial killers, unless they find out that maybe 'one' of them has a
history of doing similar things to other animals, then they should definitely look into that
particular kids life in detail, right now.