china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[SIZE=+1]Beijing duck top favourite of Olympians[/SIZE]
China National News
Friday 15th August, 2008
(IANS)

Beijing, Aug 15 (Xinhua) The Beijing roast duck, arguably the most widely known Chinese dish the world over, has become a top favourite of athletes competing at the Olympics.

'The athletes like the roast duck very much. To ensure they fully enjoy the Chinese delicacy, we have decided to raise the daily supply of the ducks from 300 to 600,' Deng Yaping, spokeswoman of the Olympic Village, told reporters.

Cooked in a special way, the duck is usually sliced and dipped in a sweet plum sauce before being wrapped into a thin pancake along with slices of Chinese onion and cucumber.

According to Olympic caterer Amarak, the canteen has hired chefs from the 136-year-old Quanjude Beijing Roast Duck chain to prepare the duck, a gourmet's choice in China, in the traditional style.

According to four-time Olympic table tennis champion Deng, the canteens in the Olympic Village have set a world record in scale and quality of the food service they have provided.

'By Aug 14, the main canteen in the village had received a total of 273,627 athletes and officials from various countries and regions, setting a new record in the Olympic history,' she said.

Email this story to a friend
Have your say on this story

Your nickname (optional)MessageImage verification

(enter the verification code from the image above)

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
ICK! Could be my sister!

I got a message a few days ago about the delicacies one can experience at the O.... Dog brain soup, entrails and various crispy insects sorta made even Rotten Ronnie's sound good....

Yes, McDog Food has a limit on bug and rodent content.;-)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
ICK! Could be my sister!

I got a message a few days ago about the delicacies one can experience at the O.... Dog brain soup, entrails and various crispy insects sorta made even Rotten Ronnie's sound good....

I'd seen an article that stated that China was trying to keep restaurants all around the Olympics from serving dog, and that it would not be on the menu at any Olympic venue. They said they were trying to not offend Western sensibilities.

As for the entrails... sausage anyone? Sure, we may dress them up, but we still eat guts in a few different ways.

And insects just make good sense when they're the size many are south of our borders. Great protein.

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
Thought you might like to know they banned [SIZE=+1]Beijing duck [/SIZE]or peking duck in England as the ovens used don't meet with Eu directions on emissions

EU Ban Forces Shutdown of Peking Duck Ovens

21 Jul 2008 ... But Peking Duck could now be forced into extinction by an EU ban on the ovens traditionally used to prepare it

EU bans Peking Duck

20 Jul 2008 ... The EUSSR has now banned Peking Duck. For people in Britain

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I'd seen an article that stated that China was trying to keep restaurants all around the Olympics from serving dog, and that it would not be on the menu at any Olympic venue. They said they were trying to not offend Western sensibilities.

As for the entrails... sausage anyone? Sure, we may dress them up, but we still eat guts in a few different ways.

And insects just make good sense when they're the size many are south of our borders. Great protein.

Sure we eat the same things. The difference is ... they're not advertised as such. Entrail (the lining anyhow) is more for very expensive sauseage now. Commercial brands prefer cellullose or even plastic casing for uniform quality. Hey ... even bug is good eating (as long as you don't know that pateé was cockroach....)