Gunman opens fire on swimmers in Wisconsin

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...wisconsin_shootings_080801/20080801?hub=World

NIAGARA, Wis. -- A man wearing camouflage clothing and carrying an assault rifle walked out of the woods and gunned down four young people who had gathered at a river to go swimming, killing three of them and wounding one.

More than 100 law enforcement officers from at least 10 agencies searched Friday for the gunman, a middle-age man who was last seen near the town of Niagara in northern Wisconsin, across the state line from Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Officers set up roadblocks and evacuated an unknown number of homes.

Nine young adults had gathered near a railroad bridge on the Menominee River when the gunman came out of the woods and opened fire about 5:30 p.m. Thursday, according to Sheriff Jim Kanikula.

Authorities have not determined a motive. The sheriff said there was no communication between the gunman and his victims.

The shooter was only 7 to 10 feet away from one victim when he fired, the sheriff said.

On Friday, two of the bodies remained at scene about three miles west of Niagara because of fear that the shooter was still in the area.

The dead were identified as Tiffany Pohlson, 17; Anthony Spigarelli, 18; and Bryan Mort, 19. A fourth victim, 20-year-old Daniel Louis Gordon, was wounded.

Niagara is about 210 miles north of Milwaukee.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
problem/reaction/solution scenario.......?

Well last time I did that, I got bitched out for hi-jacking the thread, so I figured I would leave it open for others to create their own path.

I don't need to make this into another gun debate, as there is already one going on in another thread. But if someone else wants to, by all means.

It's the news section, this was news, I felt some might find it interesting, so I posted it. Feel free to post whatever you like to start it off.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Someone should hunt him down. Oh, it did say that law enforcement types are hunting him. Must be with the intention of killing him, though. That is what hunting is for right? If all you wanna do is capture him, then it isn't hunting, right? lol

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Too bad they 'tracked' rather than 'hunted' him in the end. I truly hoped they'd find him refusing to lay down his gun. Alas, he went with them. Damn.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
tracking = hunting = killing don'tcha know. heh

no no... we've tracked animals before where it didn't involve killing them. Track them through the bush, capture them, and lock them up. Sure, it was just cattle that'd broken out, but, the same applies here. :lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I don't have much to say, as I am still thinking about the 'bus' incident, now this, how
devastating, those poor young people, just trying to have a nice afternoon at the
swimming hole.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Bingo! On the button.

Well, OK, but I hate to take the responsibility and blame for a sickening crime such as this and the bus incident as well, and put it on something other than the perpetrator. It doesn't matter what his excuse is, he is a human taking the lives of other humans, and
not allowing them to live, if he is so frustrated with his life, take 'IT' and not someone
elses, he isn't that wacked out , as he is making sure he saves himself.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Well, OK, but I hate to take the responsibility and blame for a sickening crime such as this and the bus incident as well, and put it on something other than the perpetrator. It doesn't matter what his excuse is, he is a human taking the lives of other humans, and
not allowing them to live, if he is so frustrated with his life, take 'IT' and not someone
elses, he isn't that wacked out , as he is making sure he saves himself.

He is (so he thinks) brave when taking the lives of others, but too afraid and a coward to take his own life.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
If we're blaming this on the economy----the shooter could still amble into his nearest WalMart and buy his ammo ,just one of the major necessities of urban life.