British hacker loses appeal against extradition

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080730/hacker_UK_080730/20080730?hub=World

LONDON -- Britain's top court refused Wednesday to stop the extradition to the U.S. of a British hacker accused of breaking into Pentagon and NASA computers -- something he claims to have done while hunting for information on UFOs.

Gary McKinnon, 42, faces charges in the United States for what officials say were a series of cyber attacks that stole passwords, attacked military networks and wrought hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of computer damage.

The decision by Britain's House of Lords -- comparable to U.S. supreme court judges -- was his last legal option in this country, but his lawyer said she would appeal his case to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, France.

"The consequences he faces if extradited are both disproportionate and intolerable and we will be making an immediate application to the European court to prevent his removal," Karen Todner said after McKinnon's appeal was rejected.

"We believe that the British government declined to prosecute him to enable the U.S. government to make an example of him."

McKinnon's lawyers alleged that an American official had told him he would be forced to serve a lengthy sentence in the United States if he fought against his extradition, something they say amounted to an unlawful threat.

The five Law Lords were unanimous in deciding McKinnon had failed to prove his case.

McKinnon's supporters say they want him freed -- or at least tried in Britain.

Prosecutors allege that McKinnon hacked into more than 90 computer systems belonging to the U.S. army, navy, air force, Department of Defence and NASA between February 2001 and March 2002, causing $900,000 worth of damage.

McKinnon has acknowledged accessing the computers, but he disputes the reported damage and said he did it because he wanted to find evidence that America was concealing the existence of aliens.

He was caught in 2002 after some of the software used in the attacks was traced back to his girlfriend's e-mail account.

Well the US does like to make "Examples" out of people.... The Prince of Pot, Omar, Arar, This guy.

And threatening that he'd get an even longer sentence if he fought? How stupid is that? Fair justice indeed.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Well the thing that got me was if they're charging him with hacking, which is the accessing and perhaps copying of files off of someone else's computer..... how did he somehow cause $900,000 worth of damage?

If he damaged, destroyed or implanted a virus into their systems, then he'd be a Cracker, not a Hacker.... but then again, the whole definition of Hackers, Crackers, White Hats, Black or Gray Hats is kinda up in the air.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I suppose.... I'm just curious as to what he did to actually cause $900,000 worth of damage.

IT guy wages while they change passwords and add more firewalls.... (In the land of ten grand screwdrivers, a mil's not big bucks) Coffee to fuel 'em.... Have you seen the price of a Washington hair-fixer to smooth all those ruffled feathers?

Last edited:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Why is he whining? Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

The USA has a different system than the civilized world. Where the US looks for revenge most other countries (Canada included) seek to rehabilitate people. I don't mind revenge sentences in extreme cases of violence but this was a hacker! It is a gross miscarriage of justice to deport him to a backwater nation like the USA where they imprison 1 in 100 people. Why not send him to Afghanistan to be beheaded or Iran to be hung?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
The USA has a different system than the civilized world. Where the US looks for revenge most other countries (Canada included) seek to rehabilitate people. I don't mind revenge sentences in extreme cases of violence but this was a hacker! It is a gross miscarriage of justice to deport him to a backwater nation like the USA where they imprison 1 in 100 people. Why not send him to Afghanistan to be beheaded or Iran to be hung?

Well if we assume that is all true, then it would seem especially stupid to commit crimes against them, wouldn't it?

Does it even say what sort of punishment he would be facing?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I suppose.... I'm just curious as to what he did to actually cause $900,000 worth of damage.

How do you do that much damage? Did he format all their hard drives? I have an external hard drive I use for back up. It is turned off when I'm away from the computer. Somebody could format my hard drive but I could have everything back and running in about twenty minutes. You would think the U.S. Air Force would have at least that much security.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
1 in 100 Americans.

It is well known that US prison sentences are extensive and excessive.

I meant if we assume that the US system is more about revenge than other countries...

Nothing well known matters if it doesn't apply to a specific case. Rapists and murderers can serve less than 10 years so I would argue the extensive and excessive point with you.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I meant if we assume that the US system is more about revenge than other countries...

It is a revenge system where you have to "pay the price" we rehabilitate like Britain does. It's a different system.

"In many countries formed by revolution or an act of independence – the United States is the best example – most constitutional law is contained in a single document. In a democracy with a written constitution, legislators cannot make just any laws they wish. A country’s constitution, among other things, defines the powers and limits of powers that can be exercised by the different levels and branches of government.
Canada, in contrast, became a country by an act of the Parliament of Great Britain. Consequently, the closest thing to a constitutional document would be the British North America Act of 1867 (the BNA Act, now known as the Constitution Act, 1867), by which the British colonies of Upper and Lower Canada, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick were united in a confederation called the Dominion of Canada. (Prince Edward Island, although a member of the team that shaped Confederation, did not join until later.)" Source

So, for example, we can't have mandatory sentences. Sentencing is left to the judge in Canada. Our government sometimes tries to mandate punishment but it isn't legal and judges often ignore it.

"The common law, which developed in Great Britain after the Norman Conquest, was based on the decisions of judges in the royal courts. It evolved into a system of rules based on “precedent.” Whenever a judge makes a decision that is to be legally enforced, this decision becomes a precedent: a rule that will guide judges in making subsequent decisions in similar cases. The common law is unique because it cannot be found in any code or body of legislation, but exists only in past decisions. At the same time, common law is flexible and adaptable to changing circumstances."

This includes sentencing.

Whereas in the US sentences are dictated to the judges. Sometimes they have some wriggle room but the circumstances of the crime play little relevance in the sentencing. If you are guilty then you will serve X amount of time. It is inflexible and cruel.

Nothing well known matters if it doesn't apply to a specific case. Rapists and murderers can serve less than 10 years so I would argue the extensive and excessive point with you.

Fair enough. I'll admit that is a matter of opinion then.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It's generalizing to say sentences are dictated to judges. Some crimes have mandatory minimum sentences that are harsh (namely drug offences). Many crimes have a lot of range left up to the judge to decide. A drunk driver could face jail time, a fine, probation, etc. all depending on what judge he happens to get. I'd argue that's less just than mandatory sentences in some ways.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
How do you do that much damage? Did he format all their hard drives? I have an external hard drive I use for back up. It is turned off when I'm away from the computer. Somebody could format my hard drive but I could have everything back and running in about twenty minutes. You would think the U.S. Air Force would have at least that much security.

Yeah I have two externals of my own.... but as it goes for the earlier comment of having to hire more IT guys to add more firewalls etc.... last I checked, all one needs to do is update their virus definitions, or add the virus/program the guy used to the anti-virus and that's that.....

Of course, since it's the Pentagon, nobody will ever truly know if $900,000 worth of damages occured, or if it was $5 worth..... you know.... due to National Security.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

Well that's what you get with rapists and murderers in the government *snickers*

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
No, your wrong. Look into it. Such things aren't a matter of opinion. The US has a different system.

I live in the US, I'm aware of the system. There is a lot of leeway for judges to decide sentences for many crimes. If there weren't, there would be no need for sentencing hearings. After conviction the criminal would just go to serve their mandatory assigned sentence. As it is, they get to make their case to the judge why they should get the lighter range of the sentence depending on the crime they've committed.

Other crimes do have mandatory minimums, generally those tried in federal court or those involving drugs and guns (though as the article below will tell you, that's changing). Even in the federal system, there will be differences in sentences for the same crime based on things like criminal history, acceptance of responsibility, role in the crime, etc. You can actually access the guidelines on-line (google "federal sentencing guideline manual").

Last edited:

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Court gives judges leeway to be lenientUpdated 12/10/2007 7:51 PM | Comments190 | Recommend43E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions |
EnlargeBy Mikki K. Harris, USA TODAY
The Supreme Court today broadened judicial discretion in two separate cases, including one focused on prison terms for crack cocaine offenses.

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court boosted judges' discretion to impose lenient criminal sentences Monday, including the option to set shorter terms for crack cocaine offenses.
By a 7-2 vote, the court said judges are not bound by U.S. Sentencing Guidelines that require sentences for crack cocaine crimes to be punished more harshly than offenses involving powder cocaine.

DETAILS: Read the opinion (Kimbrough v. U.S.)
MORE: Supreme Court docket

The great disparity has long been controversial because stiffer crack penalties have fallen disproportionately on low-level and black defendants.
A second 7-2 decision in a separate drug case reinforced the court's recent trend of giving judges greater leeway across the board in setting prison time. The rulings loosen the yoke of the Sentencing Guidelines on judges.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: United States Supreme Court | Derrick Kimbrough
The significance of the opinion lies in the latitude it gives trial judges to assess the particular factors of a defendant's case. Although the court majority emphasized the lack of grounds for the disparate treatment of crack and powder offenders, it did not change basic criminal laws on the books that treat crack and powder crimes differently.
Justice Samuel Alito, who with Clarence Thomas dissented in both cases, noted that the guidelines were enacted in the mid-1980s to make sentences more uniform. "Sentencing disparities will gradually increase" for similar crimes by similar defendants, Alito warned.
Defendants' rights advocates, such as the American Civil Liberties Union, cheered the court's action, particularly for giving judges leeway on the crack-powder differential. "I think it's a watershed for drug sentencing," said Graham Boyd, director of the ACLU's Drug Law Reform Project. Boyd said the decision could add momentum to proposals at the Sentencing Commission and in Congress to reduce crack-powder disparities.
The U.S. Sentencing Guidelines, an intricate set of directives tied to a defendant's crime and background, had required that a trafficker dealing crack be subject to the same sentence as a person dealing 100 times more powder cocaine. That 100-1 difference was narrowed slightly Nov. 1, so the guidelines have a powder-crack ratio that varies, depending on the offense, from 25-1 to 80-1.
The Sentencing Commission is scheduled to vote today on whether to apply the narrower ratios retroactively. The ratios could mean the early release of 19,500 inmates over the next 30 years.
Monday's decision allows trial judges to discard the guidelines' differential altogether if a situation warrants it. Writing for the majority, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said a trial judge may "conclude when sentencing a particular defendant that the crack-powder disparity yields a sentence greater than necessary."
Ginsburg noted that the Sentencing Commission adopted the differential in the 1980s, when crack emerged on the streets and Congress saw it as more likely than powder to be linked to violence and addiction. She noted that research and data no longer support those assumptions about the relative harm of the two drugs.
The court decision reinstated a shorter prison sentence for Derrick Kimbrough, who was convicted in Virginia of selling crack and powder cocaine. A judge gave him a 15-year-sentence rather than the guidelines' sentence of 19-22 years. The judge based his decision in part on the long-standing controversy over the crack-powder disparity, along with Kimbrough's time in the Army during the Gulf War in 1991.
The Justice Department appealed the lower sentence. An appeals court ruled the judge improperly relied on the crack-powder dispute for leniency.
In reversing, Ginsburg noted that the Supreme Court had ruled in 2005 that the guidelines were to be considered "advisory," not mandatory as they originally were enacted. She said that advisory nature extends to the guidelines' treatment of crack and powder offenses.
Judges still must abide by so-called "mandatory minimum" drug laws that retain a 100-1 ratio for powder and crack offenses. Sentencing Commission statistics show that a majority of crack defendants get the mandatory minimum. Defendants such as Kimbrough fall into a remaining category of those who received even more time behind bars based on guidelines enhancements tied to crack quantity.