'Don't believe what you've heard,' Omar Khadr pleads in prison letter

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

In this U.S. military-approved sketch from May 2008, Omar Khadr, 21, is seen flanked by his lawyers in the miltary commissions trial room at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/06/23/khadr-letter.html

Omar Khadr says he is a peaceful person and wants to live a normal life in Canada, where he formed "joyful memories" of school and going to the zoo and car shows.

In handwritten answers to six questions sent to him by CBC News, Khadr writes from his prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, that Canadians shouldn't be afraid of him, nor believe what they've heard about him.

"I'm a peaceful person," he writes, asking people in Canada to "give me a chance in life and don't believe what you've heard, and believe what you see with your own eyes."

Khadr's answers to the CBC's questions were conveyed through his military and civilian lawyers and were scrutinized by military censors at the U.S. naval base in southeastern Cuba.

The answers were sent in an envelope through the mail to Khadr's Edmonton lawyer, Dennis Edney, with "Camp Delta" listed as part of the return address. Camp Delta is the least restrictive of the U.S. military prisons at the naval base, where inmates deemed co-operative by jail authorities are allowed to read, mingle socially, take classes and have more exercise than less compliant prisoners.

U.S. military prosecutors have charged Khadr with murder in violation of the law of war, attempted murder in violation of the law of war, conspiracy, providing material support for terrorism and spying.

The charges relate to a July 2002 firefight between suspected Islamist militants and U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan in which a member of the U.S. Special Forces, Sgt. Christopher Speer, was mortally wounded by a grenade explosion.
Accused of killing U.S. soldier

Prosecutors say Khadr, then 15, threw the grenade, but other documents have suggested it was an adult militant who killed Speer, or that he was shot by a member of his own platoon.

One of Speer's surviving colleagues, Sgt. Layne Morris, told CBC News that Khadr had definitely killed his comrade, although he admitted he wasn't an eyewitness.

"Omar pops up, throws the grenade, shoots the pistol," Morris said. "The grenade goes off, someone returns fire, hitting Omar a couple of times. He goes down. There's no one else in the compound."

The CBC's questions to Khadr avoided talking about his case, in part because of a desire to hear from him in his own words and also because U.S. military officials would be reluctant to see such details emerge outside of the courtroom.

In his letter to the CBC, Khadr says he wants to have a chance to distance himself from things that have happened in his past.

"I never had a choice in my past life," he writes, "but I will build my future with the
bricks, and that Islam is a peaceful, multicultural and anti-racist religion for all."​

Family lived in Afghanistan, Pakistan

Before he was in his teens, his late father, Ahmed Said Khadr, moved the family to Pakistan's lawless Northwest Frontier region, and even to Afghanistan in the 1990s to work with Islamist charities. It's been alleged by U.S. officials that the elder Khadr was involved in militant activities and planning with al-Qaeda.

He died in a gun battle with Pakistani soldiers in October 2003.

His son's treatment and detention at Guantanamo Bay have been widely criticized in Canada and around the world.

Liberal and NDP members on the House of Commons subcommittee on international human rights have called for the younger Khadr's repatriation to face trial in Canada.

Senator Roméo Dallaire, a retired Canadian Forces general, has called him a "child soldier," and human rights groups consider him a prisoner of conscience.

A report by an official from the Department of Foreign Affairs, based on visits to Guantanamo Bay in March and April, says Khadr's U.S. guards consider him to be "salvageable" and a "good kid," and that his prolonged detention risks turning him into a radical Islamist.

Khadr's lawyers have prepared a plan to reintegrate him into Canadian society, should he be released or sent to Canada to serve any sentence he might be given by a court, and the proposals have been sent to MPs in Ottawa.

But the Conservative government has ruled out Khadr's return and generally avoided intervening in his case, saying he is being tried under the legal system of a friendly, allied country.
Text of Khadr letter

The full text of Khadr's answers appears below. Several spelling mistakes in his letter have been corrected. Readers can see a .pdf file of the actual note sent by the young Canadian to his Edmonton lawyer here.
Q & A Omar Khadr

Q: What do you want out of life?

I just want to be as normal as any normal unknown Canadian

Q: When you think of Canada, what comes to your mind?

My most joyful memories of my life were in Canada … like school and going to the zoo and seeing the auto show which, until my last day, I had car posters and magazines

Q: What do you say to Canadians who may have fear of you?

First thing I tell them is not to fear me. I'm a peaceful person and to give me a chance in life and don't believe what you've heard and believe what you see with your eyes.

Q: What are your fondest moments of your life in Canada?

In a normal person there is a connection between him and the place where he was born even if he didn't always live in the country, but he will always want to return to it, and feels his soul connected to it, and that's how I feel.

Q: What are you looking forward to the most?

I always feel I'm in this world to help people and the best way to do that is to be a doctor to help anybody anywhere and anytime, and that's my future dream.

Q: What steps would you take to distance yourself from your past?

First I never had a choice in my past life, but I will build my future with the right bricks, and that Islam is a peaceful, multicultural and anti-racism religion for all.​

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I wonder...

Does any American have the capacity for thought demonstrated by this young boy?

How long are the traditions of a family steeped in militarism honored by the young? How long are the "traditions" and "rituals" and "beliefs" of "Christian people".... repeated and embraced by generation after generation? How much choice did the citizens of America give to the servicemen and women it sent to Iraq in an illegal and trumped-up invasion?

When your countrymen are outraged and more than happy to label an Arab or a Sunni or a Shiite or a Taliban or anyone "fitting the description" as an "enemy of America isn't it your "duty" to torture them and break their will? Put this youngster up beside George W. Bush and let's see who has greater capacity to think through his motivations and intent!

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Thanks, Praxius, for that hopeful article. Too bad he is not allowed to live in Canada, IF he gets out.

What a hardhearted bunch our Conservatives are!!! To top the irony..." saying he is being tried under the legal system of a friendly, allied country."

Either they or I have lost our marbles!!!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Thanks, Praxius, for that hopeful article. Too bad he is not allowed to live in Canada, IF he gets out.

What a hardhearted bunch our Conservatives are!!! To top the irony..." saying he is being tried under the legal system of a friendly, allied country."

Either they or I have lost our marbles!!!

What ARE you talking about?

Unless I'm off in left field, the boy is a Canadian citizen, and the government CAN'T stop him from living in Canada. Unfortunately.

I have to say, I've done a 180 degree turn on this case. I'm sorry they didn't shoot the SOB in Afghanistan when they should have done so. However, his trial is obviously unconstitutional under the fifth amendment, there are credible reports he has been at least seriously abused, perhaps tortured, the judge that found in his favour has been forced to retire even though he wanted to put off his retirement date until the trial was over, there is talk at his trial of wilful destruction of evidence by the state, the damn thing is a complete farce.

Time for our gov't to campaign for his release to Canada, where he should be carefully watched.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Seems to me that since they're having such a tough time in creating heros, it's easier to make villians ten feet tall out of folks who don't think America First. I object to kangaroo courts as much as I do Canadian citizenship being used as a front.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
this, Colpy, is what I am talking about: despite him being a Canadian citizen!!! That's where Harper and Co lost their marbles!!! They plain hate him!

I think the journalist here is talking through his hat.....we are not trying to help this guy, but there is simply no way you could deny a Canadian entry into Canada if the Yanks released him.

No way.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
I think the journalist here is talking through his hat.....we are not trying to help this guy, but there is simply no way you could deny a Canadian entry into Canada if the Yanks released him.

No way.
oh yes way! They have the power to strip him of his citizenship for reasons of National Security! I bet there is a way to deny him to return here. Our Government doesn't say much... it works in secrecy to keep us safe!!! A line copied from the boss down South!;-)

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Update:

Judge orders release of Khadr interrogation video
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080626/judge_Khadr_080626/20080626?hub=Canada

Videotaped footage of interviews by Canadian officials with Omar Khadr must be released to his defence team, a Federal Court of Canada judge has ruled.

The interviews were conducted over four days in February 2003 at Guantanamo Bay.

Khadr's lawyers claim the videotapes will assist them because "unclassified summaries and open source information" indicate their client is seen crying and asking Canadian officials for help on the tape.

He also apparently tells them that he had been tortured and shows them the scars left by his injuries.

"I will refrain from commenting on what the tapes reveal. However, I am satisfied that any content that may tend to support the applicant's allegations is relevant and should be disclosed to the applicant and his counsel for the purpose of his defence to the criminal charges," Judge Richard Mosley said in his ruling released late Wednesday.

Khadr was also interviewed by Canadian officials in September 2003 and March 2004. However, Mosley said he only has evidence that Canadian officials have recordings of the February 2003 interviews.

Last month, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that Khadr has a constitutional right to material related to interviews conducted by Canadian officials at Guantanamo Bay.

But the ruling allows the government to object to releasing some documents for national security reasons.

It was up to Mosely to determine what materials Ottawa must release.

Khadr was captured in 2002 following a firefight with U.S. Special Forces. He was taken to Afghanistan by his father, who had ties to al Qaeda and was killed in Pakistan in 2003. The Pentagon maintains Khadr threw a grenade during the fight, killing a U.S. soldier.

Human rights laws broken

Mosely also ruled that the U.S. military's treatment of Khadr, a Canadian citizen, violated international laws against torture.

The judge said the way the military prepared Khadr for interrogation sessions with visiting Canadian officials broke human rights laws, including the Geneva Conventions.

Khadr's treatment is described in a U.S. military document outlining "steps taken by the Guantanamo authorities to prepare the applicant for the Canadian visit" in March 2004.

Mosley, who did not reveal the technique used on Khadr, said the document should be made public because it is relevant to Khadr's allegations that he was mistreated while in U.S. custody.

Mosley also said Wednesday that Canada was not an innocent player in Khadr's mistreatment.

The federal judge said Canada "became implicated" when the Canadian interrogator met Khadr despite having knowledge of the efforts to prime the prisoner.

Dennis Edney, one of Khadr's lawyers, said the court's decision was a "resounding stain" on the federal government.

"This is a credible decision, it's the first court to have seen evidence to suggest that a detainee such as Omar Khadr was tortured by the Americans and it also for the first time directly implicates Canada in torture as well,'' he said in an interview from Vancouver.

"I'm happy when I see that governments are being made to be accountable for their abuses.''

Edney said once he receives the documents he will then decide if they'll be released to the media.

"This decision clearly indicates that Canada was well aware of the treatment Omar Khadr received and denied that by saying that they had always been told by the Americans that he would be treated well. They knew the exact opposite,'' Edney said.

Mosley's ruling also states that "U.S. authorities were interested in having Canada consider whether Khadr could be prosecuted here (in Canada) and provided details about the evidence against him to Canadian officials for that purpose."

Nathan Whitling, a lawyer for Khadr, told The Globe and Mail that the ruling shows that U.S. authorities were trying to return Khadr to Canada to be tried but Canada "refused to allow his return to his country of citizenship."

Seems about time we fire some politicians from their fancy paying jobs and charge them for criminal acts against humanity. This is going to be one big stinky stain to finish off both Harper's and Bush's Careers.

Pr*cks

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I think Praxius, you are getting a little carried away.

First of all, let's get one thing very straight......In 2004, when Khadr was "prepared" for a Canadian visit, when he was questioned by Canadian officials........the Conservatives were NOT in power. You can aim that bit of (extremely justified) outrage at the Liberal Party of Canada........

It is not specified, but I suspect that the attempt to return Khadr to Canada also took place before Jan of 2006........once again a Liberal gov't gaffe.

I doubt even the Liberals had the gall to flatly refuse to accept the return of a Canadian citizen. I assume (but don't know) that they simply refused to try him, knowing no Canadian jury would convict.....instead he would probably have been given a hero's welcome by a mob of idiots.

The Yanks are not willing to simply set him free, and return him to Canada without conditions.

Bush's career will be over on Jan. 20, 2009......not a moment sooner, nor any later.

As I said before.....the US trial increasing appears to be completely Khafkaesque (sp?) We should now be working on his return.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I think Praxius, you are getting a little carried away.

First of all, let's get one thing very straight......In 2004, when Khadr was "prepared" for a Canadian visit, when he was questioned by Canadian officials........the Conservatives were NOT in power. You can aim that bit of (extremely justified) outrage at the Liberal Party of Canada........

Well the conservatives haven't stepped up to the plate to correct the previous injustices of the Liberals, so they're just as guilty if you ask me..... in fact neither party should get into power the next time around (Although I know that's not possible, since everybody seems used to just reflex-voting for the same parties they've been conditioned to vote for)

It is not specified, but I suspect that the attempt to return Khadr to Canada also took place before Jan of 2006........once again a Liberal gov't gaffe.

I doubt even the Liberals had the gall to flatly refuse to accept the return of a Canadian citizen. I assume (but don't know) that they simply refused to try him, knowing no Canadian jury would convict.....instead he would probably have been given a hero's welcome by a mob of idiots.

The Yanks are not willing to simply set him free, and return him to Canada without conditions.

They don't have any rights to detain him as it is, let alone dictate to Canada what we can and can not do with our own citizens..... considdering he has rights and proper procedures that protect him as a child soldier. Nobody is going to welcome him back like a hero, that's just delusional, but people want to see proper justice and have some faith put back into the idiots we call leaders of our country.

Bush's career will be over on Jan. 20, 2009......not a moment sooner, nor any later.

He he..... we'll see about that.

As I said before.....the US trial increasing appears to be completely Khafkaesque (sp?) We should now be working on his return.

Agreed, we should be working on his return, but that also doesn't mean we can't seek justice against those who created this mess in the first place.... which would of course be the Liberals and the Conservatives.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Thank you, Praxi, for the article, and thank you also, Colpy, for pointing out that the Liberals are just as guilty in keeping Omar in Guantanamo!