Israelis 'rehearse Iran attack'

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

More than 100 Israeli F16 and F15 jets were involved in the exercise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7465170.stm

Israel has carried out an exercise that appears to have been a rehearsal for an attack on Iran's nuclear facilities, US officials have told the New York Times.

More than 100 Israeli fighter jets took part in manoeuvres over the eastern Mediterranean and over Greece in the first week of June, US officials said.

Iran insists its programme is peaceful, but Israel sees Iran's development of the technology as a serious threat.

Tehran is defying a demand from the UN that it stop the enrichment of uranium.

The UN Security Council approved a third round of sanctions against Iran over the issue in March 2008.

'Signals'
Several US officials briefing the New York Times said the exercise was intended to demonstrate the seriousness of Israel's concern over Iran's nuclear activities, and its willingness to act unilaterally.

"They wanted us to know, they wanted the Europeans to know, and they wanted the Iranians to know," a Pentagon official is quoted as saying by the newspaper.

"There's a lot of signalling going on at different levels."

The exercise involved Israeli helicopters that could be used to rescue downed pilots, the newspaper reported.

The helicopters and refuelling tankers flew more than 1,400km (870 miles), roughly the distance between Israel and Iran's main uranium enrichment plant at Natanz.

The New York Times reported that Israeli officials declined to discuss the details of the exercise.

A spokesman for the Israeli military said the air force "regularly trains for various missions in order to confront and meet the challenges posed by the threats facing Israel".

Warnings

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert warned on 4 June that drastic measures were needed to stop Iran obtaining nuclear weapons.

He said Iran must be shown there will be devastating consequences if it did develop such weapons.

Israeli deputy Prime Minister Shaul Mofaz - a former defence minister - said earlier this month that military strikes to stop Iran developing nuclear weapons looked "unavoidable".

In 1981, Israeli jets bombed the Iraqi nuclear reactor at Osirak, 30km (18 miles) outside Baghdad.
Israel said it believed the French-built plant was designed to make nuclear weapons that could be used against Israel.

You know, about two or three years ago I didn't have any good or bad things to say about Israel...... recently however they've certainly proven their idiocy.

Oh, military strikes to stop Iran from making nuclear weapons looks unavoidable? Well of course it's unavoidable now.... it doesn't look like it.... it is.... they already have their minds set that they are building nuclear weapons, even though there's no proof still..... but that doesn't matter.... they'll still blow the hell out of them based on an unfounded hunch.

Whatever happened to not attacking or invading other nations except in a time of self defence? Now it's all about "Pre-Emptive Strikes" which is some how twisted into being an act of defence prior to even being attacked or proven that there's a risk of attack.... basically a free wild card to start a war that originally would never have happened.

You know, if every nation decided to stay the hell out of everybody else's business and not attack one another unless attacked first.... there'd be a lot less wars going on today.

But that's too simple a concept for some it would seem.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Hey once you've won the "victim" card.... convinced the world you have a "right" to occupy a territory and oppress the people living there....feel secure in waging war against people throwing rocks while you have F-16's and the backing of the neighborhood bully.... Using anyone's passports to hide your secret police activity....buy the media in the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave.....you can do whatever the hell you want.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It is beautiful in its simplicity but it's not a money making arrangement. Peace is an ineficient profit maker, war pays investors handsome dividends, damn the maimed and dead forget the destruction we need to grow and develope, christ man it's progress.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

More than 100 Israeli F16 and F15 jets were involved in the exercise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7465170.stm

You know, about two or three years ago I didn't have any good or bad things to say about Israel...... recently however they've certainly proven their idiocy.

Oh, military strikes to stop Iran from making nuclear weapons looks unavoidable? Well of course it's unavoidable now.... it doesn't look like it.... it is.... they already have their minds set that they are building nuclear weapons, even though there's no proof still..... but that doesn't matter.... they'll still blow the hell out of them based on an unfounded hunch.

Whatever happened to not attacking or invading other nations except in a time of self defence? Now it's all about "Pre-Emptive Strikes" which is some how twisted into being an act of defence prior to even being attacked or proven that there's a risk of attack.... basically a free wild card to start a war that originally would never have happened.

You know, if every nation decided to stay the hell out of everybody else's business and not attack one another unless attacked first.... there'd be a lot less wars going on today.

But that's too simple a concept for some it would seem.

Unfortunately, Iran is run by a bunch of Islamist lunatics........that have openly stated the need for Islam to develop a nuclear weapon, the hope that it would be used against Israel, and the fact that Islam would survive a nuclear exchange while Israel would not.

Had Israel not bombed Iraq in 1981, there is avery strong possibility that most of the Arab Peninsula and Iran would now be ruled by So Damn Insane. All the while denying they would ever develop such a thing.......

Unfortunately, it would be a little late for Israel to attack Iran when there is a mushroom cloud over Tel Aviv.

Along with the fact that the Iranians would probably not be stupid enough to attack Israel directly......they would use their proxies in Hezbollah or Hamas............then deny involvement. Supported, of course, by all the enemes of that "war monger" Israel.

I hope Israel blasts the Iranian nuclear program to bits.....the sooner the better.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
It is beautiful in its simplicity but it's not a money making arrangement. Peace is an ineficient profit maker, war pays investors handsome dividends, damn the maimed and dead forget the destruction we need to grow and develope, christ man it's progress.

Well it's certainly not the progress I want to be a part of.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
You don't suppose these Islamic extremists would have got so much attention if it wasn't for an appearance like super Christian nenderthals teaming up with ultra Orthodox chosen people for a little revenge for the Crusades do you? When a national Grudge is fuel for one hate, it's entirely possible for a second to be festering away....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Unfortunately, Iran is run by a bunch of Islamist lunatics........

Sorta like how the US is led by Christian Lunatics?

that have openly stated the need for Islam to develop a nuclear weapon, the hope that it would be used against Israel, and the fact that Islam would survive a nuclear exchange while Israel would not.

Still not "Evidence" of them making anything.... I could say I'm a flying goat sent by Satan himself.... that doesn't make it true.

Had Israel not bombed Iraq in 1981, there is avery strong possibility that most of the Arab Peninsula and Iran would now be ruled by So Damn Insane. All the while denying they would ever develop such a thing.......

Unprovable now at this point, therefore irrelevent. Even if it they did destroy a nuclear facility in Iraq, it's still not justification to continually bombard other nations based on speculations and assumptions.

Unfortunately, it would be a little late for Israel to attack Iran when there is a mushroom cloud over Tel Aviv.

And if Israel attacks Iran without any provocation, chances are that'll happen regardless. If it's not Iran dropping the nukes, it'd be one of their allies who can..... and Israel will give them enough excuse to do so.

Along with the fact that the Iranians would probably not be stupid enough to attack Israel directly......they would use their proxies in Hezbollah or Hamas............then deny involvement. Supported, of course, by all the enemes of that "war monger" Israel.

Denying involvement seems to be the popular thing to do these days. Kinda hypocritical to point fingers at Iran for doing the exact same thing the US and Israel are doing.... oh wait, they haven't even solidly proven Iran is involved in that either...... only more assumptions and finger pointing from US/Israel media and propagandists, just like how they fed the world about Iraq.

I hope Israel blasts the Iranian nuclear program to bits.....the sooner the better.

You clearly haven't thought out the ramifications of those actions.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Sorta like how the US is led by Christian Lunatics?

Still not "Evidence" of them making anything.... I could say I'm a flying goat sent by Satan himself.... that doesn't make it true.

Unprovable now at this point, therefore irrelevent. Even if it they did destroy a nuclear facility in Iraq, it's still not justification to continually bombard other nations based on speculations and assumptions.

And if Israel attacks Iran without any provocation, chances are that'll happen regardless. If it's not Iran dropping the nukes, it'd be one of their allies who can..... and Israel will give them enough excuse to do so.

Denying involvement seems to be the popular thing to do these days. Kinda hypocritical to point fingers at Iran for doing the exact same thing the US and Israel are doing.... oh wait, they haven't even solidly proven Iran is involved in that either...... only more assumptions and finger pointing from US/Israel media and propagandists, just like how they fed the world about Iraq.

You clearly haven't thought out the ramifications of those actions.

The ramification would be the survival of Israel.

I don't much care about world public opinion.

BTW, the world is not a court of law.....there is no requirement to "prove" anything......everybody simply acts in their own best interests, as they see it. Certainly not the way I'd like it to be, but I reiterate..........it is a little late to act when there is a mushroom cloud over Tel Aviv.

The Israelis are not kidding when they say "Never Again", and I don't blame them.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
The Israelis are not kidding when they say "Never Again", and I don't blame them.
I guess that settles it... debate over!
So, WHEN is it going to happen? Before the summer is over, would be my guess.

Last edited:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
I guess that settles it... debate over!
So, WHEN is it ging to happen? Before the summer is over, would be my guess.

When ever Israel feels the time is right they have the ability to send Iran back into the Stone Age. The political system of Iran is nothing but a toilet and should be eradicated….. .

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
When ever Israel feels the time is right they have the ability to send Iran back into the Stone Age. The political system of Iran is nothing but a toilet and should be eradicated….. .

Thing is ... they can hate a political system as much as they want to and see atom bombs hidden behind every tree ... but it's vulnerable people and innocent kids who had nothing to do with the belligerence of leaders who pay the price - whether that price is starvation, wounding or propagandized into suicide bombers.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Thing is ... they can hate a political system as much as they want to and see atom bombs hidden behind every tree ... but it's vulnerable people and innocent kids who had nothing to do with the belligerence of leaders who pay the price - whether that price is starvation, wounding or propagandized into suicide bombers.
So true!! Haven't we seen that a thousandfold in Iraq and Afghanistan, Vietnam.... and in Germany during the bombing years of their cities? People don't matter to the greedy aggressors, no matter under what flag they operate!!:angryfire:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
So true!! Haven't we seen that a thousandfold in Iraq and Afghanistan, Vietnam.... and in Germany during the bombing years of their cities? People don't matter to the greedy aggressors, no matter under what flag they operate!!:angryfire:

Loon, Germany got what it deserved, I personally think Germany should have been the country to be nuked. Germans do nothing for society except for supplying the world with tank like cars and ditzy blondes and crappy sausage. Fick the krauts.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Loon, Germany got what it deserved, I personally think Germany should have been the country to be nuked. Germans do nothing for society except for supplying the world with tank like cars and ditzy blondes and crappy sausage. Fick the krauts.
You still have it in for me, don't you? Your hate and language is under "aller Kanone!"

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
The ramification would be the survival of Israel.

I don't much care about world public opinion.

BTW, the world is not a court of law.....there is no requirement to "prove" anything......everybody simply acts in their own best interests, as they see it. Certainly not the way I'd like it to be, but I reiterate..........it is a little late to act when there is a mushroom cloud over Tel Aviv.

A "mushroom cloud over Tel Aviv" you sound just like your neo-con heros. If that must happen to someplace on this earth well I'll vote for Tel Aviv.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
A "mushroom cloud over Tel Aviv" you sound just like your neo-con heros. If that must happen to someplace on this earth well I'll vote for Tel Aviv.

I'm not sure where I would have it happen, if it had to be..........where exactly do you live?

:)
Actually, if it had to happen, either of the poles would be a good choice......

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I'm not sure where I would have it happen, if it had to be..........where exactly do you live?

:)
Actually, if it had to happen, either of the poles would be a good choice......

Of course it would be better if it didn't happen at all but you know the history of the weapon, that's a lot of national baggage or a big psycological threashhold crossed in Japan. They have lisence and a different conscience because of the extra step in evolution. Not a nice combination on a crowded planet. Apt to be misadventure, miscommunication intelligence errors. Type of thing you have to expect in a large corporation. It's a nice evening I should be out in the night drinking.:smile:

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Iran discounts 'attack by Israel'

Iran has said it considers a military attack on its nuclear facilities by Israel as "impossible".
"Such audacity to embark on an assault against the interests and territorial integrity of our country is impossible, said spokesman Gholam Hoseyn Elham.

Iran insists that its nuclear programme is for peaceful purposes.

The head of the UN's nuclear watchdog, Mohammed ElBaradei, meanwhile said an attack would put Iran on a "crash course" to building nuclear weapons and would turn the region "into a fireball".

He said he did not believe there was any "imminent risk" of proliferation by Iran given the current status of its nuclear programme.

In an interview with Al Arabiya television, Mr ElBaradei said that if any military action was taken against Iran he would find it impossible to continue as the head of the IAEA.

Iran is said to be considering an offer from six world powers of preliminary talks, which would be used to agree a framework for formal negotiations and incentives.

The talks are on the condition that Iran freeze its current levels of enrichment for six weeks in exchange for the powers putting a halt on their push for new sanctions.

EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana put forward the proposal - made by the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council the US, China, Russia, France, Britain plus Germany - during talks in Tehran last week.
He said the six powers were ready to fully recognise Iran's right to have a civilian nuclear energy programme.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7467164.stm
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess the Israeli maneuver was just a scare and a show of strength and capability. Reading the article I feel less anxious now. At least there is some talking and negotiating going on.
I can't imagine Israel would go ahead completely on its own, without the approving nod from the US.