Man arrested for nipple attack

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
"A man walked up to the baby and his mom and allegedly took the baby's bottle and hit the child on the nose with the nipple and later flicked the kid with his finger."

"Mark Robert Nugent, 45, was charged with assault and, due to the use of the baby bottle nipple, assault with a weapon and possession of a weapon."

Has anybody ever been smacked by a rubber nipple on a bottle of milk before? It's absolutely harmless. You might cause injury to an ant.... but the worst you'd do to the baby is get his nose a little wet..... exactly how can someone be charged with assault with a weapon, let alone possession of a weapon?

Should the mother be charged with possession of the same weapon too?

And flicking the baby with his finger? Well, I suppose he could have risked poking out an eye or something.

Doesn't say what the baby and the mother were doing at the time, maybe the kid was screaming it's brains out and the mother was doing nothing about it, and him being drunk got pissy.

*Shrugs* oh well, the whole situation is kinda foolish if you ask me.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I've been a proponent of a milk-bottle and nipple registration system for years!

Why this society remains silent with this lurking menace of unregistered milk bottle nipples flooding our shopping malls and apartment complexes is beyond me!

Write your MP TODAY!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
aside from LW.... I haven't seen a definate stance on this.....

Personally, I agree with LW....what kind of a moron does crap like this? There is NO excuse.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
aside from LW.... I haven't seen a definate stance on this.....

Personally, I agree with LW....what kind of a moron does crap like this? There is NO excuse.

A definate stance? The charges should be dropped, because they won't hold up on the guy. Assault with a weapon? A rubber nipple? Come on people.... unless the baby was alergic to rubber, then it couldn't be considdered assault for what was actually done.... let alone be labeled a weapon.... a weapon is something used to cause harm or death, no harm or death was going to occur to the child (And besides, even if the kid was alergic to rubber, why did the mother have it there in the first place?)

There maybe no excuse for this guy to do something as stupid as he did, but it doesn't even remotely come close to assault, let alone assault with a weapon.... and charging him with something I would considder could have been delt with so little as a warning, I think the mother and the authorities over-reacted to the situation.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Would you consider a sow bear tearing you limb from limb because you inadvertently stepped between her and her cub as over-reacting? Give yourself a little ping on the nose and tell us if you felt it.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
A definate stance? The charges should be dropped, because they won't hold up on the guy. Assault with a weapon? A rubber nipple? Come on people.... unless the baby was alergic to rubber, then it couldn't be considdered assault for what was actually done.... let alone be labeled a weapon.... a weapon is something used to cause harm or death, no harm or death was going to occur to the child (And besides, even if the kid was alergic to rubber, why did the mother have it there in the first place?)

There maybe no excuse for this guy to do something as stupid as he did, but it doesn't even remotely come close to assault, let alone assault with a weapon.... and charging him with something I would considder could have been delt with so little as a warning, I think the mother and the authorities over-reacted to the situation.

more proof that you don't have kids. Children are THE most vulnerable. He had no right touching this child period, for any reason. It doesn't matter what the child was doing...the kid could have been in the middle of a full blown temper tantrum, and that moron still didn't have the right to tough it....regardless of what the mother was or was not doing. Since he hit the kid with an object, that makes it assault with a weapon.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Would you consider a sow bear tearing you limb from limb because you inadvertently stepped between her and her cub as over-reacting? Give yourself a little ping on the nose and tell us if you felt it.

Getting a little blub' on the nose from a rubber nipple is about as painful as a sponge dropping on your head from a third floor window..... it doesn't hurt. Hell the kid could be a hemophiliac and the rubber nipple still wouldn't pose any health risk.

As it goes for a flick on the nose, obviously that can't be measured, as different people will flick at different strengths and angles. Was it a direct flick on the nose right into the cartilage / bone as hard as he could, or was it a graze with a fingertip to just catch some attention in a playful manner? Notice that he doesn't have any charges for the finger flick, therefore it must not have been hard enough to cause any injury or turama to the poor kid.

And even at the hardest flick I can make, it still doesn't hurt.

Also.... trying to compare this guy getting arrested for being an idiot and charged with crimes that won't stick in any court, to a mother bear attacking you and possibly killing you for getting between her and her cub, has no relation in comparisons. You almost make it sound like a human mother would be justified for killing you for coming too close to her child..... and wouldn't be an over reaction. The two do not relate. One is instinct for protection of their child from a forign species.... the other is an over reaction of a mother feaking that some drunk played around with their kid and seems to have sought out any charges she and the police could possibly think of.

The simple fact is that no weapon was used and the child wasn't assaulted. The only way the infant would risk any harm would be if he shoved the rubber nipple down his/her throat to choke the child out..... either that or take the other end of the bottle and crack it against the infant's skull/face..... but then the rubble nipple wouldn't be in question then.... it'd be the bottle. And the only part of this story that could be close to assault was the flick with the finger, being a much more solid object and strength being put into question..... but from what I can tell he isn't being charged for that, therefore there's no real case against the guy.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
In very real terms, if you invade someone's personal space, it is perceived as a threat. I'd just as soon take my chances with the bear. The law's on the human's side.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
more proof that you don't have kids.

Irrelevent if I have kids or not, don't give me that sh*t, because I ain't buying it. I have experience with infants and children from many experiences throughout my life, and I know how sensitive infants are and are not..... and myself having children or not makes no damn difference to my side of the argument.

Children are THE most vulnerable. He had no right touching this child period, for any reason. It doesn't matter what the child was doing...the kid could have been in the middle of a full blown temper tantrum, and that moron still didn't have the right to tough it....regardless of what the mother was or was not doing. Since he hit the kid with an object, that makes it assault with a weapon.

Yeah yeah....

1st off:

Weapon:
"an object used in fighting, such as a knife or gun"

Fighting:
"To attempt to harm or gain power over an adversary by blows or with weapons."

If you can prove in a court that the man considdered the child as an adversary and wished to cause harm, injury and/or death to the infant with a rubber nipple, and he felt that he could accomplish this with a rubber nipple, then you might have a case..... however, that's just plain retarded and wouldn't get far within the courts.

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with having or not having children.... this is just common friggin sense which seems to be lacking considerably.

And he didn't have any rights to touch the child... well too bad reality isn't like that. Tell me something.... should all those old ladies and other new mothers who see your new born and get all excited and want to touch and poke the poor thing, all get arrested and charged with assault? Should everybody on the planet except the parents temselves, be arrested and charged with assault if that lay a finger on the infant?

Tell you what? How about we just start throwing our infants in little plastic bubbles for now on.... I mean, they're the most vulnerable after all.... all because some stranger tapped one on the nose with a rubble nipple.

Seriously do you guys even hear how stupid this all sounds? How many parents when feeding their infants have accidentally tapped their child in the nose with the rubber nipple when trying to get it in their mouths? Tell me... did it break their nose or make it bleed? :angry3:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Praxius. I have a friend who's been put away for the rest of his life for grabbing a boob on the bus. No word of a lie. Sometimes the charge may seem out of proportion, but the behavior that prompted it, and the history behind the individual, is why the judges throw everything they've got at it.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
One does not touch other people, unless they are of age of consent, and give their consent.
Not ever. Specially kids. Jeebus, alcohol musta been a factor.

Karrie, lemme guess, your friend was Aboriginal, with a record, and alcohol was a factor at the time?? That's way harsh, for a boob grab or whatever. Sheesh!8O
Must have had a hangin judge.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie, lemme guess, your friend was Aboriginal, with a record, and alcohol was a factor at the time?? That's way harsh, for a boob grab or whatever. Sheesh!8O
Must have had a hangin judge.

No... I never said it was an unwarranted sentence. He was a young white male. Alcohol was not a factor. Lack of impulse control due to abuse was the issue. He's been institutionalized, seriously for life... not a 25 year sentence, but actual honest to goodness life. The wording of his sentence was something along the lines of 'until such time as he can demonstrate impulse control.' For a man who'd had any notion of impulse control starved out of him as a toddler, it's a life sentence. Going into court, they threw the book at him too, charged him severely out of proportion with a boob grab, because they knew they needed to do something drastic with him before his issue became one way worse.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Praxius. I have a friend who's been put away for the rest of his life for grabbing a boob on the bus. No word of a lie. Sometimes the charge may seem out of proportion, but the behavior that prompted it, and the history behind the individual, is why the judges throw everything they've got at it.

Was his grabbing of the boob a repeated offence? How about the above situation? Was this the first time the alleged offender smacked an infant with a rubber nipple or has he a history of drunken rubber nipple whacking on minors?

Secondly, was your friend put away for actual life (The entire extent of his life until his death) or for criminal life (25 years without parole?) based on that one case of grabbing a boob?

If it was for life for that one occasion that he grabbed a tit on the bus, and if you are hinting that this guy should also get something along those lines for tapping a baby on the nose with a rubber nipple..... then I would have to say the bigger problem is the justice system and over-authoritive judges overstepping their reasoning of the cases.

Not to mention that one case would have obvious perverted/sexual reasoning behind it, this case I could sum up simply as some drunk guy playing with a kid.... but certainly not intending to do any harm, be that mentally or physically...... and certainly nowhere near sexually.

I mean, heck if you're not able to play around with some kid, or tap them on the nose, or hell, "Cross Paths" with the mother and child in todays world..... and we all could face some heafty charges like assault with weapons or just plain assault for simple social interactions that pose no risk or harm to another human being..... then you all don't come crying to me when our societies finally stop helping one another, socializing with one another, or actually caring about one another.

This is one extreme case of over reaction by some hysterical mother, and perhaps we don't have all the information available in this case, but based on what I have read, this was an over reaction.... and when our society has to start tip toeing on egg shells when interacting with other human beings at the risk of being charged for some criminal activity for something trivial such as the above, then we're begining the distancing of our society where nobody will bother to step in and help or try and be nice without the risk of going to jail.

Before you know it, so many people will be charged for stupid petty things, that nobody will want to do anything to anybody.... and when a real and serious crime does occur to you or your child, chances are nobody's going to come to your aid because they'll worry they might be charged for something too and would just rather play it safe for themselves.

Then we're right back to Survival of the Fittest.... and although I wouldn't mind that to a degree, I imagine many others here wouldn't.

Granted, I don't think this guy should have been let off the hook for his actions, and I agree that some warning or fine of some kind to let him know it's not accepted would have worked, but charging him the way they have was over kill and they will lose their case.

Added:

Read you above explination.

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
No... I never said it was an unwarranted sentence. He was a young white male. Alcohol was not a factor. Lack of impulse control due to abuse was the issue. He's been institutionalized, seriously for life... not a 25 year sentence, but actual honest to goodness life. The wording of his sentence was something along the lines of 'until such time as he can demonstrate impulse control.' For a man who'd had any notion of impulse control starved out of him as a toddler, it's a life sentence. Going into court, they threw the book at him too, charged him severely out of proportion with a boob grab, because they knew they needed to do something drastic with him before his issue became one way worse.

Either way, it's sad, Karrie, but perhaps not unwarranted, as you say.

Strange though, we read of convicted murderers who seriously lack impulse control, and should never walk the streets again -- being let out.8O

I was just going by the usual norms of the justice system.

Usually an intoxicated Aboriginal male has about as much chance in court as an intoxicated Christian in Saudia Arabia.

P.S. I never said you said it was an unwarranted sentence.

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Prax ... it doesn't matter how stupid it sounds. It's called reality. You have unions between you and the boss so a little of the cash sticks there. You have lawyers between the principals in every business transaction so a little of the cash sticks there. You have the invisible money grabber every time you go to the Instant Teller so a little of the cash sticks there. You have people suing people for no other reason than they can - and a lawyer urging them both on so a little of the cash sticks there. You have Childrens Aid and psychologists making everything traumatize a kid - and guarantee them an income - so a little of the cash sticks there. Yeah ... it would be nice to go back to those days when cars had cranks and people had balls.

FUBAR

Electoral Member
May 14, 2007
Well if it had been my kid and I was there I'd be a bit more than cranky and he would be missing his balls.............:angry3::angry3: